1. 1. Should hwbot add 3DMark Vantage?

• yes, add 'performance' with points
    • yes, add 'performance' without points
    • yes, add 'high' with points
    • yes, add 'high' without points
    • yes, add 'extreme' with points
    • yes, add 'extreme' without points
    • no, don't add 3Dmark vantage

A very good decision imo, I like the idea that hwbot remains accessible to all regardless of the size of wallets.

I personally run several systems from low end to high end. If at all possible no-one should be excluded from running benchmark apps.

We heard a lot of ppl saying oh, 7 or 20 usd is nothing, well to those in certain parts of the world whos average wage is 100 usd or so a month then yes it is a lot.

good choice hwbot crew....you have my vote on this one.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run it a few times? Extreme users will swap out their video cards 3 or more times per year! Not to mention many multiple runs to figure out which settings and tweaks work the best for each card. I run 3d benches 100's of times on just the few cards I own! Were not talking about games here this is HWBot, were talkinga bout Benching! And benching requires a benching program to be run many times ;) Im not trying to be mean either but how extreme can you be with ZERO hwboints lol. Unless your just a made up account to sway the voting lol. Not to mention your "30%" figure is grossly incorrect.

I could care less about points... I could stay @ zero for ever. I don't care... This is a forum, and its freedom of speech.

Benchmarks is a load of crap and can not be compared to gaming..No matter how much you think it does.

Its just a number. Who really gives a hoot?

I'm a true gamer, and I play lots of heavy duty games and play most of them @ 1920 x 1200 with 0xAA and 16x AF full time with vsync on. (No need for AA at high resolutions), but you knew that... I don't need a stupid benchmarking program to tell me my system is too slow.. When I know its not..

I don't have unlimited income, as I can speak for 99% of us. Times are very tough right now... Gas is at almost $4.10 a gallon. Spending money on a program to see a number is just pointless and meaningless.. I have free programs that can benchmark my system.

Its merely just bragging rights, and you stating your have a bigger e-penis than the other guy.....

Big freakin deal.......

Well I see I'm to late to actually vote. But if I had made it here sooner I would of voted "no, don't add 3DMark Vantage."

While the people who purchased the benchmark (I am one of them), may feel left out. A stand needs to be made. Futuremark will only continue with this trend if a protest isn't made.

I wanna say something...

It's right to ask to FM the introduction of saving feature at least in the advanced version or even in basic version but this can't be enough to justify the decision of not-adding vantage...

If the professional version make the game "unfair" we just put the rule that all the benchmarks must be submitted online.

Simple and fast...

If people benchs out of his room for his safe can use a long net cable... It's useless latency, only have access to the web so u can use even a 15 mt cable.

I wanna bench on vantage... Don't let a little feature destroy everything is good in this benchmark.

If we wanna surpass the problem, we can.

If you wanna bench Vantage, bench it. Whats stopping you?

This attitude of only benching for points has to stop- from all the people who think like that. Its the wrong attitude.

This reply is pointless. And what's wrong with 3dmark competition? It's my passion. What's your hobby man? I don't judge your lifestyle, don't touch mine.

I have put 2 results and I'm first on the 3870 single card rank.

I'll continue to bench until the end of time on vantage.

But in my opinion vantage could be there on hwbot and I have put my reason on this forum.

Bye

Please ask my question...

If we put on hwbot vantage only in advanced mod or only online submit, you will use it?

I think it's acceptable.

Bye

No, its not pointless, but you've countered your previous post- you ARE benching vantage, so theres no problem.

Theres nothing wrong with 3D competition- its the obcession that some people have with points that bothers me. If that isnt you, then A/good, and B/sorry for implying that its what drives you.

If I had vista and/or an HDD for it, I will run it. One way or another, but I would never buy the $500 version.

TBH- I dont see the big deal about needing a net connection. wPrime needs one.

If HWB cancelled all individual points, by what % would daily submissions fall? How much smaller would HWBs userbase become? Its just a theory obviously, but I would love to separate the people who bench because they love it from the people who bench because there are points.

No, its not pointless, but you've countered your previous post- you ARE benching vantage, so theres no problem.

Theres nothing wrong with 3D competition- its the obcession that some people have with points that bothers me. If that isnt you, then A/good, and B/sorry for implying that its what drives you.

If I had vista and/or an HDD for it, I will run it. One way or another, but I would never buy the $500 version.

TBH- I dont see the big deal about needing a net connection. wPrime needs one.

If HWB cancelled all individual points, by what % would daily submissions fall? How much smaller would HWBs userbase become? Its just a theory obviously, but I would love to separate the people who bench because they love it from the people who bench because there are points.

I'm obsessed from point when I'm trying to make a new wr (try :D).

I understand 500 dollars are too much for 30 point on 20k to make a offline screen.

So I say make vantage a new arena of hwbot with only online results (or advanced version) admitted. This make the arena equal for the competitors and cheap (don't tell me 19 bucks are too much for what we can define a game for a clocker).

Richbastard I wanna read your opinion.

With all advanced version admitted the connection problem is a everybody problem so a nobody problem.

I say this 'cause probably futuremark will'not allow us to bench offline. If it will, good for us.

Bye

I've mailed futuremark with the primary concerns you guys have about 3DMark Vantage (not being able to save or view the score in the paid version), but I doubt they will adapt Vantage to fit the need of the OC community.

Futuremark takes MONEY ONLY from the OC community so they MUST be conserned of what they are doing.... ;)

Do they take ANY MONEY from a "regular office user" and we don't know it yet?... :D

They became what they are FROM US and NOONE ELSE, so IF they what to KEEP making money, they should think about of what they are doing/will do... ;)

Eheheh I agree too...

In the preview reply I have wrote futuremark will not probably allow our requests but we are our customer.

The pro license is certainly the less remunerative version. Advanced is probably the most common.

It's in his interests have happy consumers...

Bye

Futuremark takes MONEY ONLY from the OC community so they MUST be conserned of what they are doing.... ;)

Do they take ANY MONEY from a "regular office user" and we don't know it yet?... :D

They became what they are FROM US and NOONE ELSE, so IF they what to KEEP making money, they should think about of what they are doing/will do... ;)

You're so right mate :rolleyes:

Well said ;)

Unfortunately the sheep are already marching...

This turned into more of a general discussion on benchmark approval principles:

I'd assume that, from a sheer performance-measurement standpoint, we don't even need the pretty displays-- 5 million polygons is 5 million polygons, wether it shows as a sphere, an Electro-Motive SD38, or a bust of Nikola Tesla. Therefore, why can't someone make a benchmark out of a free graphics demo?

I'm also not a big fan of the compatibility issues.

AquaMark and SuperPi don't run well or at all on Vista/64.

Vantage would run ONLY on Vista.

These scores can't provide good cross-sectional data if you're cutting out noticable chunks of the market.

ah so if this poll would have had 500 votes FOR 3Dmark and For points and 0 against, it would be a joke? A joke to consult those who contribute to the HWbot and make it what it is today?

A joke to ask feedback from those that frequent the site everyday?

Your post is a joke!

pay attention now.

Even though many ppl hate Vista (and you know that), you asked for our votes about 3DMark Vantage. You got the results and surprise, surprise! 253 said include 3DMark Vantage and 108 said don't. From those who said yes, you got 169 votes for hwbot points and 84 against points. Your final decision though, was according to your no payment rules, against points. Why did you ask for our votes then?

The future is going to be about multi CPU/GPU systems. Can we ignore Futuremark?

Don't take me wrong. I want the best for hwbot.

If you wanna bench Vantage, bench it. Whats stopping you?

This attitude of only benching for points has to stop- from all the people who think like that. Its the wrong attitude.

Your own forum probably has the same wrong attitude.

All or most forums ignore those benchmarks that get no points.

What's the point of posting any of my PCMark or 3DMark Vantage results here other than getting points? I have them up on ORB. I might post them here in case they get points. This is not the right place to keep a link to our ORB results. Even if I posted them to a forum, Hwbot does not collect those results.

Even though many ppl hate Vista (and you know that), you asked for our votes about 3DMark Vantage. You got the results and surprise, surprise! 253 said include 3DMark Vantage and 108 said don't. From those who said yes, you got 169 votes for hwbot points and 84 against points. Your final decision though, was according to your no payment rules, against points. Why did you ask for our votes then?

The future is going to be about multi CPU/GPU systems. Can we ignore Futuremark?

Don't take me wrong. I want the best for hwbot.

Our decision is backup up by the votes, you're not just calculating it right.

# of Add Vantage >>> # of don't add vantage

# of don't give points (=192) > # of give points (=169).

It's not actually about ignoring Futuremark, rather making them aware that the people who use their benchmarks the most are not purely to make money out of it. The broke an unwritten ethical code by making this benchmark only usable for extreme benching purposes if you buy the $500 licence as it's the only licence that gives the opportunity to save scores. There are other reasons as well, that all have to do with the money aspect of 3DMark Vantage which in the end was the foundation of the decision we took. Of course, Vantage can always be added if extremely popular or if Futuremark decides to give the extreme benchers a break.

What would be cool is HWBot members getting a special cut in price ... :D

By the way, HWBot is always looking for new 3D benchmarks ... *hint*

Your own forum probably has the same wrong attitude.

All or most forums ignore those benchmarks that get no points.

What's the point of posting any of my PCMark or 3DMark Vantage results here other than getting points? I have them up on ORB. I might post them here in case they get points. This is not the right place to keep a link to our ORB results. Even if I posted them to a forum, Hwbot does not collect those results.

If you post your link on HWBot, you will:

-Always know what scores you have

-Be able to compare your scores faster when rebenching your setup

-Be able to compare to the (little amount of) other scores

-Let HWBot know that you care about the benchmark and thus would like to see points added.

See your benchmark profile here at HWBot as an overview of your accomplishments that can be seen by the other benchers and overclockers in this world :).