• yes, add 'high' without points
    • yes, add 'extreme' with points
    • yes, add 'extreme' without points
    • no, don't add 3Dmark vantage

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no points to start I say- partly to see who benches because they wanna bench and not because someones dangling a carrot in front of them

and also- partly to see how things develop. Better to add points to a system thats proven to work, than remove points from a system thats falling apart because the people who were doing well will obviously go in the huff.

Im not a fan of needing a new monitor to run a bench at full strength, from what I gather of it so far. It looks like performance is the best way to go.

Not tried it yet though, so no concrete opinion on the bench itself

oh- and the wPrime comments- I thought HWB was gonna separate off the multi CPU systems from the single?

Also to all the Vista haters... new benches are released as vista only... if you dont like vista dont bench those programs. simple. For the people who use vista I believe that we shouldnt be punished cuz some people are haters. All the vista hate is largely just hot air anyways.

PCmark05 performs better in it. Wprime performs better in it. All the hot new games are DX10 so = need vista. Sure it maybe a bit less efficient than XP, but I believe the pros outweigh the cons. Not to mention you can download it for free and not enter a serial for months (just reset the timer - completely legal & legit). When that runs out just reformat and start over (most ppl reformat b4 benchs anyways so I dont see the problem noone would have to 'buy' vista to bench on it). No reason why it shouldnt get points either. If you dont like vista, simply skip those benches ;)

Also to all the Vista haters... new benches are released as vista only... if you dont like vista dont bench those programs. simple. For the people who use vista I believe that we shouldnt be punished cuz some people are haters. All the vista hate is largely just hot air anyways.

Thats right. wPrime also runs faster on my Sys if i use Vista. If you don't want to use this benchmark just don't do it but thats not fair for the people who use Vista if you say "no no don't rank this benchmark cause i hate Vista"

again , we're not discussing VISTA over here - everyone has it's own opinion on it!

looking at the thinking of those who've voted "FOR" hwbointing that bench I've noticed more of "I can afford it -> I vote for" rather than "Paying $$$ for being able to bench is OK -> I vote for"

what does it matter - those people that cant afford good cooling or the best hardware get screwed these days here.

Whatever Hwbot you'll do what you think will be best anyway without common sense.

No common sense? They are asking us our opinion and are going to decide based on that! That means that everyone has no common sense (including you!) lol.

I think HWBot does a fine job which cannot be easy. So many user and results to moderate, so much hardware (both new and old) to add to database, etc.

As to the money to afford good cooling and hardware, you dont need that at all. Benching to me is about beating your personal bests and doing the best you can. Bugger what everyone else does. Of course it is hard to compete at the top of the bot, people get their hardware for free from manufacturers/companys or maybe there just millionaires. But being on top (again imo) doesnt mean much. Its about the time and effort and MOST IMPOTANTLY the FUN you get out of benching. If you feel 'screwed' maybe its time to find a hobby that wont raise your blood pressure?

again , we're not discussing VISTA over here - everyone has it's own opinion on it!

looking at the thinking of those who've voted "FOR" hwbointing that bench I've noticed more of "I can afford it -> I vote for" rather than "Paying $$$ for being able to bench is OK -> I vote for"

So you think FM doesnt deserve any money for their hard work? I could understand if all their employees worked for free, websites didnt have maintenance costs, and food/housing/life didnt cost a penny. Unfortuantely I dont think $6.95 is asking too much. Or even $19.95 for advanced (the price of which hasnt gone up from version to version which I think is a nod in their direction - theyre not trying to rip us off at least).

And you can bench without paying any money at all tapakah, just bench using the free benches ;) In this instance and situation I think paying $20 to bench is perfectly acceptable. Would I pay $20 for superpi to bench on that? Noway, but you must look at the merits of the 3dmark series and determine for yourself what is best.

I certainly didnt vote to give it points ONLY because I can afford it (and if you cant afford it then look for another hobby cuz $20 is a drop in the bucket). I voted to give it points because its the only dx10 gfx bench and if it doesnt have points its wont have competition either...

exactly!

$20 buys you possibility to run the Advanced setting and submit online.

$500 buys you all settings and ability to save results.

so if your bench machine is NOT online (let's say... at a large OC contest) you are out of luck;)

not speaking seriously:

come to think of it - those who pay $500 for pro version get better results ... because they have the chance to tweak their OS better by removing networking components and submit later :D

The biggest and most valid complaint about 3dmark vantage is no ability to save results to hdd when using advanced version. Thats the only reason I could see why they shouldnt add it for points. And its also something that FM may fix, since everyone is going to be asking for it, and since they have included that ability in previous advanced versions.

I say don't. I can't justify spending any money on any benchmark program. You'll run it a few times and it will be over.. I'm in the extreme user base too. I can play games @ 1920 x 1200 with my 24" screen, but I run XP. Any true gamer who loves an extra 30% of frame rates would stick with XP. Granted Vista will soon be replaced in 2009 with a better more streamlined OS. Vista is just loaded with unnecessary eye candy.. And since Vista, almost everyone had to upgrade their hardware one way or another just to run it...

A fee of that size shouldn't be a problem. If it was $50 or more, it would be a different story.

But is the $7 version good enough for users who want to bench alot of cards?

Also, do you have to be online to get a score (unless you pay $500)???

I think the ones who don't like this bench should just ignore it. Alot of people seem to want this bench to be added, and a dx10 only benchmark would be a nice addition to the older stuff.

What version to allow? High + Extreme both need huge monitors, and a $20 license. That's a little too expensive. I don't like that you have to buy a new monitor just to bench ONE benchmark. Performance is supported in the $7 version, and is what looks like the default benchmark.

I say don't. I can't justify spending any money on any benchmark program. You'll run it a few times and it will be over.. I'm in the extreme user base too. I can play games @ 1920 x 1200 with my 24" screen, but I run XP. Any true gamer who loves an extra 30% of frame rates would stick with XP. Granted Vista will soon be replaced in 2009 with a better more streamlined OS. Vista is just loaded with unnecessary eye candy.. And since Vista, almost everyone had to upgrade their hardware one way or another just to run it...

Run it a few times? Extreme users will swap out their video cards 3 or more times per year! Not to mention many multiple runs to figure out which settings and tweaks work the best for each card. I run 3d benches 100's of times on just the few cards I own! Were not talking about games here this is HWBot, were talkinga bout Benching! And benching requires a benching program to be run many times ;) Im not trying to be mean either but how extreme can you be with ZERO hwboints lol. Unless your just a made up account to sway the voting lol. Not to mention your "30%" figure is grossly incorrect.

This ... Vantage bench ... is a good reason for some people to change their hardware. And higher scores in it are their purpose in life. Most of us can't afford high-end hardware, but maybe wish to test the actual machines which own already. And we can't do that because of some ridiculous requirements established by Futuremark. So, what for I must pay? For a run at a preset settings? For online result only? Or, if I want all features, I'm free to pay about $500? Thanks but no thanks.

Funny thing: in the first test, I've seen a Sapphire logo on that boat. Delicious, isn't it?

This ... Vantage bench ... is a good reason for some people to change their hardware. And high scores in it are their purpose in life. Most of us can't afford high-end hardware, but maybe wish to test the actual machines which own already. And we can't do that because of some ridiculous requirements established by Futuremark. So, what for I must pay? For a run at a preset settings? For online result only? Or, if I want all features, I'm free to pay about $500? Thanks but no thanks.

Funny thing: in the first test, I've seen a Sapphire logo on that boat. Delicious, isn't it?

Well if you cant use it in the first place (because of your hardware) then why even comment in this thread? I would say 99% of people wont have to upgrade anything to run this... (although to run it at 50fps you might). If you cant afford high end hardware and you want to test your currect rig, use 3dmark06, 3dmark05, 3dmark03......... thats what those are for! This is for the people with the top end hardware to test and stress their systems (which arent being stressed or fully utilized by 3dmark06)

Oh, really? This is not a kind of ... discrimination? You say that I have to buy some new top-end hardware (around of $1500-2000 or so) for that benching tool only? More, I need that piece of crap called Vista, too. In top of these will stand another $500 for purchasing Vantage, to have all features available. Don't you think that's too much for many of us, I'd say you included? Not to mention the fact that in Europe, where I live, hardware components are much expensive than in US, because of parity between € and $ which is regularly set to 1:1.

I have a good rig, anyway, (Phenom 9500, 8GB of RAM and HD3870), but that is not enough for Vantage, as I've seen.

A fee of that size shouldn't be a problem. If it was $50 or more, it would be a different story.

But is the $7 version good enough for users who want to bench alot of cards?

Also, do you have to be online to get a score (unless you pay $500)???

I think the ones who don't like this bench should just ignore it. Alot of people seem to want this bench to be added, and a dx10 only benchmark would be a nice addition to the older stuff.

What version to allow? High + Extreme both need huge monitors, and a $20 license. That's a little too expensive. I don't like that you have to buy a new monitor just to bench ONE benchmark. Performance is supported in the $7 version, and is what looks like the default benchmark.

It should not cost anything... Its a benchmarking tool... Besides they get plenty of money from their advertisers. I'm guessing they hired some new programmers and now have to find a way to pay them... And from the sound of it, it will only work on Vista, so I'm out of the loop anyway... So that said, Future mark has really shot themselves in the foot... Should have another pole on who has Vista... Real gamers (No offense) still use XP... ;)

Oh, really? This is not a kind of ... discrimination? You say that I have to buy some new top-end hardware (around of $1500-2000 or so) for that benching tool only? More, I need that piece of crap called Vista, too. In top of these will stand another $500 for purchasing Vantage, to have all features available. Don't you think that's too much for many of us, I'd say you included? Not to mention the fact that in Europe, where I live, hardware components are more expensive than in US, because of parity between € and $ which is 1:1.

No, i am saying you dont have to buy ANYTHING (as in NOTHING, NADA, ZERO, ZILCH). test your CURRENT setup with a benchmark program made for hardware of THAT TYPE. such as an OLDER 3dmark bench for an OLDER hardware setup. MAkes sense doesnt it? You cant test 3dmark06 on a pentium 2 300mhz...so why do you think your OLDhardware should be supported by FM's NEW benchmark which is meant for new hardware?

I can run vantage on my current hardware which is by no means top-end (e8400 and 8800gt). The only feature not available that you speak of is the ability to save offline score and upload to the bot later. I thought hardware was more expensive in EU because of taxes! A strong Euro makes hardware cheaper for you actually (if its coming from the US) since 1 euro buys $1.50 US. As your currency appreciates against the dollar, imports from the US become CHEAPER not more expensive. Not to mention the euro and the dollar are definately not at parity!

My opinion that we are already way from the beginnings of OC. Do not you remember that it`s started because lot of people with not so wide wallet wanted to get more out of their PC? Now it becomes in smth like ColdWar using Starwar`s tehnologies. 3-way SLI, CrosfireX, QX CPU`s, MB for 400-500$ and so on. Is it a OC anymore or it`s a measurment of your wallet and for somebody even measurment of their d..ck? ............3dVantage just let to continue that WAR!

NO ADD!

Anybody who pays money to run a benchmark needs to have their head examined. If you can play the games you like then your rig is fine....who honestly cares that those with more money can get a higher score? And let's face it, nowadays the top scorers are the ones with all the money, not the talent ;)

LOL it's insanity!

So many people are like " OMG I get a crap score in 3DM, I need new hardware or I'll have to kill myself "...

Those ^ people are morons and the sole reason FM and other companies exist....bragging rights.

How sad can you all be?