HWBOT Community Forums

Broadwell-E + Pascal = The end of extreme OC?

Casanova

Well, for one you confuse the idea of "benchmark world records" with "extreme overclocking". You don't need to spend thousands of dollars to enjoy or even do extreme overclocking.

Indeed, just ask me as I happy and enjoyably bench on lower end hardware especially since it tends to clock better

Hello everyone.

Let's be honest, since the bad experience on Computex with so many bde dying while being extreme overclocked, and now this limited overclock capability with pascal cards, doesn't it looks like the extreme comunity is being shot in the head? And also Microsoft saying that kaby lake will be windows 10 only...

For me, it looks like Intel and Nvidia (i'm not considering AMD because it's not a popular extreme overclock option in the comunity) don't give a sh*t about overclock comunity.

Wanna hear you guys,what do you think about this situation?

I'm not expert enough to be able to predict how future tech will be affected by overclocking, or even how they scale with extreme cooling. And I agree a few of these trends doesn't seem to favor overclockers/extreme overclockers, like:

- Further component integration might make overclocking difficult(tuning BCLK from an SoC design)

- VRM design with advanced telemetry which makes hardmodding/bypassing them with external VRM difficult

- Move to lower-power type fabrication that don't seem to scale on the upper TDP range, or maybe a certain factor in their process node that don't favor extreme cooling

- Agressive per-part binning from vendor to maximize clocks from factory, minimizing overclocking headroom

I don't really care if the big company have a different agenda compared to us oc community, they have their reasons too. For me personally, overclocking is something I enjoy just because I'm able to play and tinker with my hardware, pushing it to the utmost limit to gain best performance, no matter what hardware or even the condition.

A support from the hardware vendor is great, but it doesn't mean I can't have fun with hardware I bought even if the vendors have different priorities in designing their hardware. I just happy to see there's some tuning knob left to tweak :)

I'm not saying that the extreme overclock is dead by now, what i'm trying to say is that looks like in 10 years from now the extreme oc comunity will live from the past hardware.

But that's just my opinion considering this year's high end and mainstream hardware.

Two counterarguments: Athlon64 and Sandy Bridge.

Athlon64 had coldbug problems at sometimes positive temperatures, severely limiting the extreme overclocking community. A couple year later the same company produced CPUs that could handle Liquid Helium.

Sandy Bridge not only had a terrible BCLK limitation compared to previous generations of hardware, but each CPU hard-walled at a specific frequency. This was terrible news for memory overclocking enthusiasts (max divider of 2133) and extreme overclockers. The architecture that followed Sandy Bridge could run "full pot" at 7 GHz.

Just saying, I wouldn't panic too much based on the (very) contemporary situation.

Yeah, maybe i'm just overreacting to this new generation of cpu and gpu.

I really hope things change and extreme comunity grow more in the next years.

I wouldnt expect xoc to grow. It's still too nerdy, expensive and special.

You dont like Broadwell-E?

Im happy my 6900K @ 4.5Ghz can beat or be the same as a 5960x @ at 5/5.1Ghz :D

and the 5/5.2Ghz for 6950x Is a fine first gen 10 core CPU, it still really kick as.

Just wait for next 10 core, it will be even better.

Edited by Nicklas0912

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but all the clickbait from June had the Pascal cards as being junk and no extreme OC possible. Now I'm seeing results with Dancop pushing 2500mhz and counting on Ln2? Almost like things are evolving and getting better with time?

wait till you see the next CPUs on ln2 :P dont worry about OC

Kaby Lake 8ghz XTU confirmed by Splave himself.

Intel, have all my money!

Edited by FatBoyNotSoSlim
fml i mixed up threads again

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but all the clickbait from June had the Pascal cards as being junk and no extreme OC possible. Now I'm seeing results with Dancop pushing 2500mhz and counting on Ln2? Almost like things are evolving and getting better with time?

Kaby Lake 8ghz XTU confirmed by Splave himself.

Intel, have all my money!

For a gpu that can do 2100mhz on air, 2500mhz is total junk and can't beat a 980

• 2 weeks later...

So is it a good idea for me to forget Skylake since Kaby Lake is so close now!? When I say forget I mean to not spend a sizeable chunk of money on a binned 6700K and a good Z170 chipset such as Asrock Z170m ocf!? Or do we think Kaby Lake would perform just as well in the z170 chipset instead of getting a 200 series board!?

Also, the next Extreme platform is due to have quad core Kaby Lake chips and 6-8-10 core Skylake chips thus negating the need for two separate platforms that could be interesting for the extreme oc community, could make things a bit cheaper.