HWBOT Community Forums

ASRock z170 MOCF lives on Coffee Lake Mods

On 4/23/2018 at 8:35 AM, tobias1986 said:

Thanks for the answer!

Yeah i read the article but still confuses me that line I have marked in red in the pic!

But hey I will give a try! Maybe it will work ;) 

1.png

I wouldn't really worry about i7 6 core with MOCF's VRM, other non OC boards sure. Now looking forward to the small chance the rumoured mainstream 8 core could work on Z170 MOCF I may actually have to put the heatsinks back on. lol

I just found my way to this topic via another site and I m pretty excited about this MOD. Some quick questions though:

- so I boot regular (skylake or Kabylake), go to BIOS overwrite my 7.60 with 7.51D and the insert Coffe Lake CPU (modded)?
- does my Skylake work with the modbios afterwards, or not? I read somewhere above that Kabylakes work
- The 7.51 seems to not include the Meltdown/Spectre microcode, correct? So the CPU is not protected then?
- What exactly is those 2 pins that we are connecting? (on Kaby and on Coffee), so what am I connecting?
- do you see the chance that Windows will get an update/patch/Microcode that will prevent this mod from working ?
- I assume the power draw of the 8700K is something higher than 6700K (which I own), the OCF should be able to handle this, right? I dont suppose I need to connect the full 12 EPS-pins? (Currently I am only using the 4+4, but the OCFM does only have 4+4 anyway).

Thanks for answering this.

2 hours ago, GtiJason said:

I wouldn't really worry about i7 6 core with MOCF's VRM, other non OC boards sure. Now looking forward to the small chance the rumoured mainstream 8 core could work on Z170 MOCF I may actually have to put the heatsinks back on. lol

Yep i understand that ;) but my board is not Asrock, its a Gigabyte z170 HD3P so i am not sure if it will work with a 6 core Coffee Lake CPU! Maybe i should give a try!