HWBOT Community Forums

HWBot Team Cup design thread 2020

Leeghoofd

I mean Ddr3 on z170 is similar from a mem perspective, those boards suck. And if you want to take the cpu cold gonna be a lot of work, gonna need lots of mods for voltages and potentially even an epower. Plus the mem layout is probably shit, heard they don't do timings well so gonna have to learn how to do mem on them from the ground up, etc

Basically what I'm saying is the few stages where it could be allowed it wouldn't be so bad to have Ddr3 z170 ;)

14 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

It's still a draft gents... Continuously updated/edited/... 

nobody mad just yet I hope. Rather see stuff said now then mid comp as we had before. 

Couple suggestions what could be considered - none of these were neck breaking as is, but changing them could make some stuff more interesting.

-DDR2 freq is currently pretty obvious classic d9gmh + p45. If you want more action maybe disallow one of the two (though I bet most wouldn’t mind keeping both allowed, I am not opposed, just throwing in the idea)

-DDR3 freq same problem, just instead mfr + haswell. Alternative idea: Dual channel required with no capacity lock so other ics might be viable. 

-DDR4 3d03 no dx12 cards? odd choice but okay

33 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

3d03 no dx12 cards is to rule out the brute power of the modern cards... 

Don't want people getting any GFPs in this comp do we? :P 

That joke aside I do actually like the thinking and idea, personally I don't think it should be changed. Also brings the cost down, especially when you need 4x cards...

Not sure how it would fit into the comp, but would love to see an rdr stage if possible. Idk how badly that would break the formula but maybe do like one bench that's a bunch of random things like rdr, fbdimm, etc that don't fit in well. Or call it "misc" and instead of mem types have stages with traditional bench types. 

So maybe it'd look like 

- wprime 32m, must use rdr, 1 sub 

- gpupi 1b, must use fb-dimm, use up to 2 cpus in total, 2 subs (1x single cpu, 1x dual cpu) 

- 3dmark01 dog pile, any mem type

- port royal, 1 score

Then make each stage worth half the pts a normal stage is worth. Not sure how much support this idea would get but I thought it was interesting enough to share. 

Edit: changed dog pile to 3dm01 to sweeten the pot for some

Edited by yosarianilives

Must admit I have no idea what the current restrictions are as they keep changing, but for the 3D stages I guess it would make sense to adjust the GPUs available to be in line with the "era" (read: DRAM type). I.e. 7000 series Nvidia for DDR max if sticking to 939?

Edited by Noxinite