HWBOT Community Forums

Results with ROG Expander....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: ??? :confused: Nah , you got to be kidding right , please just tell me you are kidding :P SPlave.

I can understand your opposition to my words though seeing as how your team does quite benefit from the use of an expander right?

Edited by chispy

just making a point ;) and not trying to be an asshole but...

http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15615&highlight

We've begged ASUS USA to let us pay for one, It just seems that its not on newegg so it shouldnt count though right?

Guess the same could be said for black edition Rampage III extreme and Gigabyte OC board?

There is this box at the bottom right?

Do NOT participate in hwbot rankings.

If you check this, this submission will not receive cups, medals or points. It will appear in no ranking except for the HWBOT WORLD RECORDS page. You can use this if you use hardware which is not available through retail channels (eg. cherry picked samples, ES, hardware under NDA, etc).

EDIT: Thanks for looking out for me bruce but "Ordered upon request." and they couldnt give me a date of when they would be able to get one

Edited by Splave

For 'unreleased hardware' we look at what the manufacturer says: NDA = 'unreleased', no NDA = 'okay for results'.

We have already pointed out to ASUS that the Expander is not available in retail channels. The response we got was 'yes it is, but only on some places'.

what are the 'places' for R3E Black and X58A-OC ?

X58A-OC is 'released' officially already, I think. Retail availability depends on region ... IIRC it should be available ~ 2 weeks.

R3E Black is released as well, I think?

Contacted the manufacturer about it? Sweet.

Had a long discussion with them about the relevance of NDA/retail/availability. This ROG Expander is prime example that 'retail availability' is a gray area in itself. ASUS says it's retail, but no one can buy it.

I'm sure there are 'ways' to buy the board, but it's far from 'retail' as we all define 'retail' :-/

Massman..... this is a site run by not manufacturers and the staff can set rules however they want. Why are you saying the rules are open for interpretation?

....just make it clear- whichever way the staff decide. HWB can decide what "retail" means to give a relevant context for results posted on this site.

That's what we do: we define "retail" as "whenever the manufacturer decides it's no longer under nda". There are many parameters determining 'retail availability', not of the least importance the region you live in.

As far I know, any other definition is either less easy to use or will exclude those who can buy it because some can't buy it.

I'm always open for suggestions :D

Well.... catering to the majority...

Item is or has been available for immediate purchase in x continents simultaneously without need for international shipping.

I thought of that during F1OC thanks to the "eVGA incident"

Theer'll always be availability differences...... Galaxy's random hardware is almost impossible to get over here... I know some parts of China and Taiwan have really weird hardware thats "local" only

So they just have to say "no more NDA on this one" and you are free to submite even if the board is available/released 4 mounths after !?

Even sometimes there is no more NDA but the product was never released/available.

Exactly.

Have a website list it just OOS (out of stock) and bingobango you got yourself a retail product.

Whatever though. Will see what rev4 brings.

Cheating is TOUGH to prevent, and I do not relish these guys having to look for it. Fact is cheating is pretty minor, do YOU cheat? No, neither do I, so who is?. Get into a comp and use a pre-tweaked OS and cant produce results.. get banned. Real fame comes from comps not online submissions.

EDIT: I am drunk. Normally I wouldn't care at all. *sigh

Edited by Neuromancer

I like the R3E. I wanted an Xpander. I spent months trying to buy one retail or borrow one from ASUS.

I couldn't.

Maybe I still could by begging the right people, but I'm weary of the task.

But if a manufacturer says something IS available retail I don't think it's Pieter's or the bot's responsibility to go verify that it's readily available to everyone. Think of some of our brothers in various countries around the world who don't have access to 1/10 the hardware I do here in the USA.

Even if a few lucky folks can "game the system", I don't think it's worth making hwbot policy changes. There would be endless arguments over where to draw the line. I reluctantly just vote to leave the line at the "NDA".

...............................................................................................................if anyone ever sees an Xpander for sale, lemme know. I'd still buy one.

Edited by Patch

Thought I knew my HW and yet not even sure what you guys are talking about.

TBH I cant even see how an expander works since it is till the same lanes providing IO. Apparently it does.

That in itself is cool as hell, and why aren't companies mass marketing it? Simple and cheap to produce, but can command a high price point since it is benchers only device...

TBH I cant even see how an expander works since it is till the same lanes providing IO. Apparently it does.

This

I thought that too when I first saw the rog expander.

btw as r3e black edition is released after the rog expander, why not direcly put the NF200 on the board, why saying 4 way sli is possible with rog expender, as nobody can find it.

I like asus products but their marketing way, I really dont understand

Thinking about the rog Xpander, I think, I am not an expert btw, but the four PCIE 16x helped and connected by both NF200 are to link all graphic cards directly on rog expander PCB, then connect to the rest of the rig using the PCIE lanes of the X58. Imo

Edited by Christian Ney

Get into a comp and use a pretweaked OS and cant produce results.. get banned. Real fame comes from comps not online submissions.

I clipped this one thing becasue I feel you are misguided a little.

So let me get this straight?

You want to ban someone that does not do incredible effeciency at a live comp where they have limited time.......

You do realize for instance lets use 32m pi for example the best results are obtained by tuning each timing one at a time and running bench, jotting down gains or losses and repeating. This could take days platform dependant and given your available time to test between a real life.

Really the OS plays little role here, far less than you think.

This is realistic in a live competition with time limits how?

A perfect example of this is MOA, we were told the model of ram that was to be used, we bought said model to get a feel for it and dial in ballpark performance subs prior to event. When we got to comp model of ram was not what we purchased nor anything like it ( not even same ICS in fact we had single bank 3x2g and the model for event was dual bank 3x2g), nothing worked we had pretested for not to mention it seemed we had a bad stick, our results suffered greatly.

On topic, splave check your post about expander on XS.

Edited by chew*

Vote for what ??? Theres nothing to Vote about here , as Massman himself explained the rules " For 'unreleased hardware' we look at what the manufacturer says: NDA = 'unreleased', no NDA = 'okay for results'. " ;).

I can understand your opposition to my words though seeing as how your team does quite benefit from the use of an expander right?

Edited by chispy

I clipped this one thing becasue I feel you are misguided a little.

So let me get this straight?

You want to ban someone that does not do incredible effeciency at a live comp where they have limited time.......

You do realize for instance lets use 32m pi for example the best results are obtained by tuning each timing one at a time and running bench, jotting down gains or losses and repeating. This could take days platform dependant and given your available time to test between a real life.

Really the OS plays little role here, far less than you think.

This is realistic in a live competition with time limits how?

A perfect example of this is MOA, we were told the model of ram that was to be used, we bought said model to get a feel for it and dial in ballpark performance subs prior to event. When we got to comp model of ram was not what we purchased nor anything like it ( not even same ICS in fact we had single bank 3x2g and the model for event was dual bank 3x2g), nothing worked we had pretested for not to mention it seemed we had a bad stick, our results suffered greatly.

On topic, splave check your post about expander on XS.

Excellent points.