HWBOT Community Forums

Cheapaz Chips 2022 Brainstorming

yosarianilives

Since there was some interest in discord may as well see what people want to run. Previous comps have been Gt 710, Gt 1030, cedar core, HD 5770, and athlon 3000g. So what hardware would we like to see if there's a competition this year? Some that I can think of Caicos core, oland core, rx550, 8400gs, gts 240, Gt 430, Gt 630

Please comment below with suggestions, ideas, preferences 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

+1 for Oland or maybe Cape Verde, small GCN ftw! 

RX 550 i reckon is a bit too expensive atm. 

8600 GTS or other midrange older cards might be interesting.

Personal bias would be towards something like midrange fermi or tesla (260,460,560) but with a restriction on no hawks/oc focused cards to try to grt people to be a bit more hands on.

All in all would love to see any form of a cheapaz renewal for 2022.

Oh, GT 220 maybe, for 2022 haha

9 minutes ago, Buddy1 said:

Quadro x700, x800 and x000 Series of cards. That or GeForce 8000/9000 series. Glad to see talk of a lower end GPU competition!

Idk about a comp specifically for quadros but could probably allow quadros with same core as whatever the main card is. For 8000/9000 definitely want the lower models from those or else people just pull out their 8800gt with mods already done etc

1 minute ago, yosarianilives said:

Idk about a comp specifically for quadros but could probably allow quadros with same core as whatever the main card is. For 8000/9000 definitely want the lower models from those or else people just pull out their 8800gt with mods already done etc

For sure, having a quadro only comp would be a bit niche. Overall, I would like to see including some models that are not commonly volt modded to combat this. Funnily enough having a "new" old card.

I'd really like a Cheapaz Comp, love that stuff!

Before i pitch a few cards I'd like to mention two things that we might want to keep in mind:
1. No cards that are available as XOC models (lightning, platinum, SOC, Hawk, ...)

2. Voltage, PT, ... should mainly be controlled via (hardware) mods and not with software 

I know that the second point is debatable but at least for me these comps were always about modding the cards and getting a few more people into hardsmods. 
I'll also make sure to show all my mods and help as much as i can.

Suggestions:
9600/9800 GT(X)/GTS 250 - easy to mod and scales fairly good with voltage/temp

8x00 GS/GT/GTS - lots of great legacy cards with mostly good response to voltage/temps

4670/4770/5670 - also fairly easy mods and most cards are pretty similiar

39 minutes ago, unityofsaints said:

GT210 would be pretty cool, I guess would just have to clear about what version(s) are allowed, DDR2 vs. DDR3, 32bit vs. 64bit, GT216 vs. GT218.

I think we would do as previous where we just specify a core, so say any gt218 and if people find a card with that core, even gt 405, that somehow has some super awesome memory bus they can use that. I think it won't be too hard to find the optimal memory config cards whatever that ends up being. And all gt218 is the same core config so no issues there. I'll give it a day or so then put up a poll for benches and for card. I think the two contenders are gt218 core (gt 210) and oland core. Benches will be legacy, especially if we go with tesla arch

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, superpatodonaldo said:

killed so many GTS250 ?

nvidia 8xxx 9xxx or gt 200 series seems fine

what about benchs? something like 01 and or 03 with limited platforms

Idk if ice storm is good idea. I also want to think of cloud gate, time spy and fire strike but some cheapaz gpu might no have dx 10, dx 11 and dx 12 support

Edited by Goku is Gei

For anyone wondering details, plan is to start comp Feb 15th and run until end of March. Cpu limit will be 5005 mhz with no other restrictions on cpu, tests will be 3dm01, 3dm03, and 3dm vantage gpu score. We will allow all variants of GT218 core so to my knowledge the allowed cards and cores in DB would be as follows:

geforce 210 ddr2, 64 bit, gt218
geforce 210 ddr3 64 bit ddr3
8400 gs ddr3 gt218
geforce 310
NVS 300
quadro fx 380 LP

Cores allowed: GT218  GT218'  GT218 GL

Let me know if there's any thoughts etc

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...