HWBOT Community Forums

GTX580 Matrix Extreme OC: first session at Assembly

Massman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank's Massman for the coldslow bios !!!

I still have problems with my Matrix . I can bench now with -130 degree but still some time i get some artefacts. Then i have to warm up the pot to -40 and reboot the system . After this i can go to -130 again .

On my side I use Arctic Silver Ceramique

10€ for 22 grams :)

Don't curse in public forums. That stuff is good for poisoning plants, but never use it with latest VGA's + Ln2 :)

Gelid Extreme is the stuff you need and all the rest is crap.

Freeze / frostbyte is last year stuff now, when we have something better.

Thank's Massman for the coldslow bios !!!

I still have problems with my Matrix . I can bench now with -130 degree but still some time i get some artefacts. Then i have to warm up the pot to -40 and reboot the system . After this i can go to -130 again .

Is this card retail or press sample? If press sample, get retail. Some old cards was not completely final and there might be some issues. Retails have all done 1500+ and I have tested 5 of them.

Do you have the firmware updated? If you have constant memory voltage around 2.0V you can go a lot lower in temperature. Use high memory clocks too (1300MHz+)

Constant core voltage is mandatory for lazy benching.

If you have those but still get artifacts, your thermal paste cracks and you loose good contact. Then you will not be able to do high clocks and will have artifacts with "low" clocks.

My guess is the memory cold issues.

Don't curse in public forums. That stuff is good for poisoning plants, but never use it with latest VGA's + Ln2 :)

Gelid Extreme is the stuff you need and all the rest is crap.

Freeze / frostbyte is last year stuff now, when we have something better.

Is this card retail or press sample? If press sample, get retail. Some old cards was not completely final and there might be some issues. Retails have all done 1500+ and I have tested 5 of them.

Do you have the firmware updated? If you have constant memory voltage around 2.0V you can go a lot lower in temperature. Use high memory clocks too (1300MHz+)

Constant core voltage is mandatory for lazy benching.

If you have those but still get artifacts, your thermal paste cracks and you loose good contact. Then you will not be able to do high clocks and will have artifacts with "low" clocks.

My guess is the memory cold issues.

thanks SF3D !

i tested with the firmware 2.0 Volt for the memorys and 1.5 Volt for GPU .

I dont have problems with my thermalpaste i cant hear any cracks .

But still i have this issue . So its important to go up with the memory 1300+ ?

Yes its a Sample not a Retail !

[off-topic] The thermal paste argument... well, don't know what to say. I'd like to do some proper tests ( milled CPU IHS, but that would require the help of Intel for example, I don't want to mill the surface of the IHS ) with monitoring of 3 spots ( pot base, CPU in IHS temp, and paste temp ( some excess on the side of the cpu )), but I don't think I can get to that anytime soon.

However, I used to use Ceramique always, and had some nice clocks, like 6.5GHz AQ3 with my 3005F 980X, 1400MHz @ GTX 480, 950 @ 5.6GHz+, 5870 @ 1450MHz ).

Now, I can't tell if any of those chips can do better with another thermal paste, they're all dead or sold :(

[off-topic] The thermal paste argument... well, don't know what to say. I'd like to do some proper tests ( milled CPU IHS, but that would require the help of Intel for example, I don't want to mill the surface of the IHS ) with monitoring of 3 spots ( pot base, CPU in IHS temp, and paste temp ( some excess on the side of the cpu )), but I don't think I can get to that anytime soon.

However, I used to use Ceramique always, and had some nice clocks, like 6.5GHz AQ3 with my 3005F 980X, 1400MHz @ GTX 480, 950 @ 5.6GHz+, 5870 @ 1450MHz ).

Now, I can't tell if any of those chips can do better with another thermal paste, they're all dead or sold :(

i was thinking bout your super gt, but i think it could have done better.