HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easier than you'd think, but I wont disclose details for obvious reasons.

Next month is a busy one for me, but in that time you guys can decide what is legal and what is not.

FlashDesktop was allowed, why would the wrapper need to check for TW tweaks?

As for WBR/TE, I wrote the scripts therefore I know what they do, not hard to protect against it :)

Willing to bet ? :)

The calculation itself shouldn't be changed. If you change the size of the windows, it's obviously in some way messing with the calculation. I have no idea what that flashdesktop thingy does, my post is just general. I am, however, opening up for the surprising(?) fact that we've allowed too much in the past, and that we therefore need to start blocking what seems to be against the rules. If you don't like this, prove that they're legal. We can't give benefit of doubt when the score goes up by a huge margin. Agree?

I only will trust an wrapper, if it is not created by an bencher....

Hwbot staff itself must make it:)

Maybee an wrapper can Help that files cant replaced during an test...

But how can it check scripts that change options? Ie runs outside the bench.

Edited by Moose83

I only will trust an wrapper, if it is not created by an bencher....

Hwbot staff itself must make it:)

Maybee an wrapper can Help that files cant replaced during an test...

But how can it check scripts that change options? Ie runs outside the bench.

HWB staff ARE benchers. :P

@ GENiEBEN - I think your offer was most generous, futile maybe, but generous just the same. :)

So say someone makes a wrapper that works 100% and there is no way to cheat. What happens to the scores that have been showing up for the past couple of months?

Excellent question.

You can't leave them. They'll be there till the end of time, and you can't pick and choose which one's because legitimate scores will become collateral damage. Only way I can see it is to wipe all PCM05 scores and start from scratch.

That's what they do. When they had issues with PCMark Vantage and singlecores they just removed support, after having official support for a few years already.:P

That's why I mentioned it. ;)

It's the easy out. Anything that can be done to save PCM05 will have to be done here. FM is unlikely to help due to the age of the bench and PCM7 coming out.

I'm all for trying a wrapper. I don't dislike the bench, I dislike the way it's being exploited.

Edited by Mr.Scott

Of course, i keep my hope! Thats the only benchmark we have, where only tweaking scores, and not great expensive HW!

Dont let this lovely Benchmark die and make it fair for all now;)

Don't hold your breath. I'm still against tweaks that change the subtest score but a considerable amount, unless they're proven to be allright - wrapper or not. If a wrapper isn't designed to catch a sertain type of tweaks we still need hard evidence to allow it.:)

That sounds good for me. Wrapper with tweaks integrated, so everyone has the same chances and all the currently uploaded scores are not obsolete and it isn't necessary to delete them - that saves much time for the moderators and the upcoming scores are based on the same tweaks and software-settings. :)

Yes not only safe work for the staff! We cant delete all tweakted scores and say to everybody you must rebench everything! I think iam not the only one who have selled many benched CPUs;)

But some points are not clear... what about Audio comp or MA? I dont use it atm but we must discuss it too.

Also we have to talk about AMDs magic bug driver!

Edited by Moose83

Or just disable points and interest will fade away by itself :P

PCMark lovers, don't tell me you all bench it because of the global points...if you're so passionate about the bench, then you will continue even without points, am I right? Don't think so :).

There are some real PCMark addicts, but I don't see them posting scores lately. Except 1 or 2. They all stopped benching when the scores got so skewed that you can't tell anymore if it's a bug, cheat, tweak or something else...

E.g. I bench a lot of old stuff, just because I love it and have fun. I don't get a lot of points, sometimes just 1pt or so, but I don't care about it. These points don't even add up for my global ranking.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed