HWBOT Community Forums

The official GIGABYTE Spring Extreme Competition thread.

zeneffect

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm being stupid...but don't contests like these only award those that already have the best hardware?

I mean - nobody is going to win with a UD3 board...so what's the point? The guys with the best stuff will win. The guys that could actually use a nice new board get left out...

It's really hard to have an overclocking competition that's 100% fair to all the hardware possibilities out there. I actually ended up buying a UD5, just so I could play in this competition. Will I win a board, probably not (someone using LN2 will probably kill my scores LMAO), but even if I did it wouldn't make much sense, for practical purposes, to have a UD7 over a UD5, or even a UD7 over a UD3 Unless you really needed the extra PCIe slots.

Even % increase competitions can be very flawed.

What it comes down to is if you've got the required hardware and want to enter the competition enter it. If you don't have the hardware, overclock what you've got and just have fun anyway.

There's no sense in complaining that the people who spent more money on there hardware have.., better hardware. :P

Wish I still had some nice am3 boards. Maybe I can whip my 790X into shape, but I doubt it :P. Also, you guys should get Asus on sponsorship. I'd rather compete for their boards ;)

No decent AMD chips left but sounds like fun. Tempted to try find one as already have a UD7.

What did you do with that 8150 you won from the BD benchoff? BD will take the wprime stage for sure. I guess you would need a GB board for that though...

Edited by just_nuke_em

Wish I still had some nice am3 boards. Maybe I can whip my 790X into shape, but I doubt it :P. Also, you guys should get Asus on sponsorship. I'd rather compete for their boards ;)

What did you do with that 8150 you won from the BD benchoff? BD will take the wprime stage for sure. I guess you would need a GB board for that though...

The UD7 ate the 8150 :(

It's really hard to have an overclocking competition that's 100% fair to all the hardware possibilities out there. I actually ended up buying a UD5, just so I could play in this competition. Will I win a board, probably not (someone using LN2 will probably kill my scores LMAO), but even if I did it wouldn't make much sense, for practical purposes, to have a UD7 over a UD5, or even a UD7 over a UD3 Unless you really needed the extra PCIe slots.

Even % increase competitions can be very flawed.

What it comes down to is if you've got the required hardware and want to enter the competition enter it. If you don't have the hardware, overclock what you've got and just have fun anyway.

There's no sense in complaining that the people who spent more money on there hardware have.., better hardware. :P

That's why I think it should be open to anyone with a qualifying board/CPU...and be a random drawing. Rewarding those who can push their hardware the furthest doesn't do anything for anyone.

I still think you should have been slightly more patient and bought BluePanda's board. :P

Rewarding those who can push their hardware the furthest doesn't do anything for anyone.

Guess you aren't a bencher then.

Hell if it just a random drawing, why overclock at all? why even have it be a contest? just have a big pot and throw anyone name in who has bought a GB board (you wouldn't even have to turn it on :P)

A contest/drawing with no point is boring. Stop QQing and grab some benching equipment.

That's why I think it should be open to anyone with a qualifying board/CPU...and be a random drawing. Rewarding those who can push their hardware the furthest doesn't do anything for anyone.

I still think you should have been slightly more patient and bought BluePanda's board. :P

It rewards those who can push their hardware the furthest :P

I was gonna buy her board, but then I sold my extra llano stuff for exactly the cost of a UD5 and decided I was to impatient to wait. :(

Participants:

1) Mad222

2) TaPaKaH

3) I.nfraR.ed

4) El_Gappo

5) Christian Ney

Where I can see participants? Or its only you guess?

Another thing... "Remember: no software ramdisk, no MFT, no ramcache and XP startup cap of 220MB/s"

So If I use SSD i must capped it to 220MB/s or its only aply to RAM stuff?

Edited by froxic

Where I can see participants? Or its only you guess?

Another thing... "Remember: no software ramdisk, no MFT, no ramcache and XP startup cap of 220MB/s"

So If I use SSD i must capped it to 220MB/s or its only aply to RAM stuff?

Just my guess.

AFAIK none SSD in single configuration (non RAID) can reach that speed except the RevoDrivre.

It's almost impossible get a better score than FTW with that 7970...

No really. Shouldnt they have different levels for these kind of comps (ie air, water, phase etc)? Obviously once the pro clockers with SS and LN2 come in, 99% of us dont have a chance, the top three spots are already won. Come on, 5.5GHz on a 6 core, we all screwed :P

No really. Shouldnt they have different levels for these kind of comps (ie air, water, phase etc)? Obviously once the pro clockers with SS and LN2 come in, 99% of us dont have a chance, the top three spots are already won. Come on, 5.5GHz on a 6 core, we all screwed :P

As massman says, is very difficult have a 100% fair competition. I'm pretty sure that those 5.5GHz are just pre-testing.

What ever happened to just playing for the fun of it? I knew going in that I stood no chance, yet I play. Why must there always be a reward involved other than a 'hey, good job man' and a pat on the back. Honestly, some of you guys just kill the fun aspect of overclocking. It's very discouraging.

What ever happened to just playing for the fun of it? I knew going in that I stood no chance, yet I play. Why must there always be a reward involved other than a 'hey, good job man' and a pat on the back. Honestly, some of you guys just kill the fun aspect of overclocking. It's very discouraging.

Agree, hope not be on the guys that you mention.

At the end, you win the experience of participate and the funny moment of OC and tweak your rig.

Notice the ":P" at the end of the post, I was just lightheartedly making an observation that I am going in knowing full well that I am going to get smoked :D. No one said anything about not having fun! Im fine with not winning, I just hope I dont lose in a plume of smoke and charred PCB :P. Good luck to all!

Notice the ":P" at the end of the post, I was just lightheartedly making an observation that I am going in knowing full well that I am going to get smoked :D. No one said anything about not having fun! Im fine with not winning, I just hope I dont lose in a plume of smoke and charred PCB :P. Good luck to all!

I singled out no one. ;)

Glad your conscience feels better now though.

Edited by Mr.Scott

My fear comes true, you will enter to the competition?.

My ssd is sata 3 and only can reach 120, so, not sure how get those 220 or similar.

I could be wrong on that, I thought I had seen single sata3 ssds do 220. I've only done revodrive and raid0. I have a crappy sata3 drive sitting here that does just about 200 every time tho.

I will be joining. I sell my hardware to buy new hardware though, so I will have a hard time competing in sp32m and pifast on bulldozer. To be in the ballpark, I will have to do 7.5ghz+, which I've done on asus but haven't tried on gigabyte. I don't know what their core/module disabling is like compared to asus, and I know their software ocing was less well developed last I tried it on AMD. I am anxious to see what I can make it do.

1090/1100t are the chips to run for this comp, they can score well at reasonable 6ghz overclocks. I have neither. All my good Phenom chips have been sold. Tempted to pick one up for the sake of pride and trying to win this comp, but I could just buy a gigabyte motherboard with that money and not worry about winning.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

It's almost impossible get a better score than FTW with that 7970...

FTW's scores are not so much a function of the 7970 as they are a function of his great CPU. The tests that are affected by the GPU are only 2 of the suite and one can make up for the loss on those two by out doing FTW on other sections (Gen Usage - Virus Scan - Transparent Windows... For example). :D

I don't have the storage to compete on this one, but I can easily out score FTW on the transparent windows test... :D Hell; I can double his score on a 965BE at 4.2GHz; that alone is not enough though. Storage is where PCM05 is won and lost.

I could be wrong on that, I thought I had seen single sata3 ssds do 220. I've only done revodrive and raid0. I have a crappy sata3 drive sitting here that does just about 200 every time tho.

Yup... It all depends on the SATA 3 disk you get. The Max IOPS will do over 220MB/s on XP startup on its own, so will others... I think Kow mentioned the PyroSE also blowing past that limit with ease. It's just like on everything; there are SATA3 SSDs and then there are SATA3 SSDs.

Edited by xXSebaSXx

I didn't see that comment about the 7970. It isn't a big advantage - the 7970 is the best card for pcm05, but it doesn't make a big difference. It does make an important difference if you are going for global first place where everyone elses scores are setting records, but in a competition like this where records may not be broken there are other factors that can be more important. For instance, I should beat his physics/3d and be neck and neck with his 2d graphics score, but his 3d pixel shader is better than I can possibly do... I'll be using a 5870. My target PCMark05 score is 42K, so that I can reclaim 8 core 1st place global. If I don't hit that, I should at least be in the 40K range, unless I have problems getting the right clocks on this board.

FTW's pcmark score has everything he needs, except for stronger storage performance. His score is excellent without that storage, and I expect he'll do higher yet.

I'll be doing some runs shortly.