HWBOT Community Forums

Possible hardware sharing

TJB_SC

I know about that issue - I looked for some good old full copper coolers and ended up with the legendary SLK900U...I was very happy when I found it hidden in some corner of my benchroom. That one can really take the cold, specially with a nice delta on it - and NO f(l)ucking hashpipe :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=1176&stc=1&d=1329427766

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know about that issue - I looked for some good old full copper coolers and ended up with the legendary SLK900U...I was very happy when I found it hidden in some corner of my benchroom. That one can really take the cold, specially with a nice delta on it - and NO f(l)ucking hashpipe :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=1176&stc=1&d=1329427766

im looking for that heatsink...

but i'll settle with my water cooling unit :P

If they had been on the same team, would it have then been a crime to share the same hardware component between two team members?

If that is answered, "YES, it would then have been a crime", what if the sharing had been at a benching party at one member's home or at a hotel room in a central location, would the sharing then still be "a crime"?

If the answer to the benchmarking party question is "NO, sharing at a party is fine with HWBot", what is the logic of making one form of sharing a crime and the other form of "Party sharing" not a crime?

This is a serious inquiry. I don't know the answer to the above questions and would like some clarification. At one point in time prior to a previous revision there were some forum posts that indicated that party sharing was now perfectly "legal". Is that true?

Hell of a read, but everyone involved seems sincere.

I've always questioned the bending of the rules of sharing....

- no sharing GPU's on GPU benches

- no sharing CPU's for CPU benching

- no sharing memory for memory benching...

but for AM3, it's a GPU bench but the CPU affects the score more, so if I only have a 775 CPU but own GTX580, I could borrow a team members i7-2600k build and technically it's OK.

same with a PCMark bench, ok to share SSD's or RAID cards as it's not specifically defined, or share GPU's increase the score but it's a CPU bench. like I did a test with my x58, only difference was with/without a RAID setup and got 3000 point better... just with a tiny raid VS single drive... I own the gear so it's ok, but what if I borrowed the drives to create the RAID with the onboard controller...

SuperPi, again a CPU bench, but great ram with low timings help get a great score...

so how are any of these examples OK? a score was attained because parts were used that a user didn't own. it's sharing.. then no grey area...

I think it should be a clean cut no sharing at all as everything potentially affects everything...

Vin

So what are the PCMark benchmarks (04, 05, 07, Vantage)? Are they CPU benches or GPU benches?

If they are CPU benches, sharing of video cards, SSDs, I-rams, real ram, and motherboards is permitted, correct?

PCMarks are CPU benches, as for your other question I don't know the answer... but this thread is opening a ball of wax imo...

Vin

Here... Lemme throw this monkey wrench in the works...

What about Hardware that is bought from another HWBot user?

For instance... A CPU that one user submitted scores with... Then sold to me.

I of course submitted with it....

Now... We both now have scores for the exact same CPU.

The PCMark series is most of all a set of 2D benchmarks, so they're classified as CPU benchmarks, and therefore GPUs can be shared. SSD sharing is still allowed, and if we decide something else, then you will be notified :) I agree that it's a bit difficult to draw the line in some cases (storage for PCmarks, CPU for 01 etc)

Here... Lemme throw this monkey wrench in the works...

What about Hardware that is bought from another HWBot user?

For instance... A CPU that one user submitted scores with... Then sold to me.

I of course submitted with it....

Now... We both now have scores for the exact same CPU.

You both bought the CPU, it's not really shared at that point as it's a transfer of ownership... can't really help that..

Vin

You both bought the CPU, it's not really shared at that point as it's a transfer of ownership... can't really help that..

Vin

Thats good to know...

But what keeps 2 individuals who share hardware from just stating the items were sold?

Thing is... We're just gonna have to rely on peoples honesty.

Sadly... That means there will be people who cheat the system.

unfortunately all we can do is rely on honesty of the users...

now here is a question regarding the new algorithm...

I have an i7-920 and a GTX580, a teammate has a i7-2600k and a 7970... he's done all of his submissions for his HW and all the benches, and I have done all of mine, but then I borrow his i7-2600K for my 3D benches using my GTX580...

now because he has a 2600K and I now have a 2600K in submissions but we both have different GPU for GPU benches does the updated TPP algorithm with the /10 take in to account that the same CPU was used for 2 different GPU's or is it only for when 2 users submit a score with the same GPU?

I hope I explained that question well enough..

Vin

• 3 weeks later...
I would stay on -20c ambient but the problem is that heatpipe coolers do not work under ~ -2c.

At -10c ambient i have same load temps that i get on +25c ambient.

i found that the fatter heatpipes of the ifx (and silver arrow) can work better than the thinner ones at low temps but they give up around -8 :/

cold air ftw, not like these pussies with ln2 or cascades :P

• 1 month later...

So I hate to bring this up again, but I still feel poparamiro and nachtfalke are sharing hardware...

Exact same clocks, and same CPU model...but they claim one is on "Air" and the other is on "Water"...both cards being alien cards, outstanding for either class, both hold #1 for ambient cooling.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2251554_poparamiro_3dmark06_radeon_hd_4850_gddr3_21213_marks

http://hwbot.org/submission/2275402_nachtfalke_3dmark06_radeon_hd_4850_gddr3_21282_marks

Also, nachtfalke's 4850 has had the vendor ID manipulated to read "Dell"...really? Monstru can claim whatever he wants but those are super cherry picked-card type results, if they sold the card to each other I'm sorry but it's kind of suspicious.

Also 10 days ago they both submitted 7970 results both with ASUS bios cards (may be completely different...)...which may be a coincidence but how many coincidences can you have? Also 2 weeks ago poparamiro submitted a bunch of 2x 4850 results and 6 days ago nachtfalke followed up. On vantage submission, nachtfalke labeled his card "XFX 7970 Core Edition" but it is flashed with ASUS bios just like poparamiro (left info blank, does that a lot)

Also, if poparamiro is going to compete in the Enthusiast league, why do very many of his submissions not have photos of his setup? ...not just that but others are obscure and he often leaves out what board he uses both in HWBOT info and screenshots. I see a lot of the same parts doing very similar clocks but the difference is that nachtfalke's results are always on cascade or phase for CPU and GPUs on water at same/slightly higher clocks.

Edited by BeepBeep2

Also, nachtfalke's 4850 has had the vendor ID manipulated to read "Dell"...really? Monstru can claim whatever he wants but those are super cherry picked-card type results, if they sold the card to each other I'm sorry but it's kind of suspicious.

Do tell how you can tell a vendor ID has been manipulated ;)

Also 10 days ago they both submitted 7970 results both with ASUS bios cards (may be completely different...)...which may be a coincidence but how many coincidences can you have? Also 2 weeks ago poparamiro submitted a bunch of 2x 4850 results and 6 days ago nachtfalke followed up. On vantage submission, nachtfalke labeled his card "XFX 7970 Core Edition" but it is flashed with ASUS bios just like poparamiro (left info blank, does that a lot)

It so happens everyone uses the Asus bios, why exactly is this a problem? From what I remember nacht owned more than just 1 XFX card, so he may aswell own an Asus card.

Also, if poparamiro is going to compete in the Enthusiast league, why do very many of his submissions not have photos of his setup? ...not just that but others are obscure and he often leaves out what board he uses both in HWBOT info and screenshots. I see a lot of the same parts doing very similar clocks but the difference is that nachtfalke's results are always on cascade or phase for CPU and GPUs on water at same/slightly higher clocks.

He always uses setup pics, besides once you set your top 15/20 whatever scores it doesnt matter anymore :)