HWBOT Community Forums

MOA 2013 Discussion

Vivi

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointed that I won't be able to use my Titan...

But at least I'll be getting good MOA mileage out of the 7970!

It's simple, you take picture to verify that you used a "stock" titan and you got your best score in and it died while trying to push for more. When you post up good scores and they ask for video verification, it's impossible since your "stock" titan died.

• Crew
It's simple, you take picture to verify that you used a "stock" titan and you got your best score in and it died while trying to push for more. When you post up good scores and they ask for video verification, it's impossible since your "stock" titan died.

I can already recommend everyone benching titan on stock VRM to record their session, if you manage to reach something sick like 1500 - 1600 without proper verification you don't want to get asked to bench again if your titan died :P

Confirmed. Are disallowed:

- epower

- any VRM from a different vendor than MSI

- any titan picture with any other brand than MSI or Nvidia (you can use another brand of Titan but don't show that brand in the picture)

Hmm, magic marker mods?

zombie_zps7363fa85.jpg

Every single score, can not be comproved with Pictures.

Overclockers can use Titan + Epower... get the score... and after, remove the Epower and add a fake Lightning VRM.

I don't believe in that rule:

"Please attach a picture of your overclocking rig."

What I mean is that's impossible to comprove if Epower was used.

The only way, is ask for the winners, to be mandatory bring the card to the finals, to be checked.... so MSI can comprove, even the card is death, is Lightning VRM was used (because was wired corretly).

Or.... MSI send the scheme for the semi final competitors.

Some of you can dislike this... but it's true.

• Crew
Still the question is: how me will know that some one don't use Epower? Or only we can't show it at picture?

for a prize as big as this and with the rules changing and people getting angry and tempted i would suggest making a video of your run mandatory, showing the card close up and the score on screen. I just bought a 1000$ card so can we enforce validation plz :<

Now that no Titans are e-Power'ed, MSI might lose more money by RMA'ing the cards now that they are not heavily modded (assuming everyone uses an MSI Titan, obviously) than by allowing e-Power and creating free marketing for their competitors.

Edited by TaPaKaH

• Crew
I'm for videos but it does make it a bit more of a hassle but most of us have a video capable mobile/camera. Just make it clear what we ara supposed to film so the rules are clear.

rather the hassle of a little video setup than the hassle of re-benching cause people don't trust your scores :P

• Crew
I was joking lol.

bunny this is extreme overclocking or movie making factory? ;]

I guess MSI will pay for video camera with high resolution and good quality?

Benching with webcam is worth the same as changing rules during competition ;)

relax XA. it's not a bad idea. Even if it is just with cellphone camera. I and hopefully everyone in this competition intends to play fair but it wont be fun losing to someone you know might be running illegal system (i really beleive no one will be illegal, but under the circumstances of new shocking events people might get desperate). We're paying bunnyextractionloads of money to enter, so there is nothing wrong with some clear verification of scores.

You already have a ticket so don't make it harder for the rest of us. Asking for more verification isn't a rule change that hurts anybody. in fact, if i manage 1600+ i would love to show people it was done fairly

relax XA. it's not a bad idea. Even if it is just with cellphone camera. I and hopefully everyone in this competition intends to play fair but it wont be fun losing to someone you know might be running illegal system (i really beleive no one will be illegal, but under the circumstances of new shocking events people might get desperate). We're paying bunnyextractionloads of money to enter, so there is nothing wrong with some clear verification of scores.

You already have a ticket so don't make it harder for the rest of us. Asking for more verification isn't a rule change that hurts anybody. in fact, if i manage 1600+ i would love to show people it was done fairly

What is the problem to open 3dmark file with a score done on Titan + Epower and only set higher clocks via hot key on "stock" Titan in 2D? If there is bunnyextraction quality web cam or phone camera, it will be invisible, especially when you will have ln2 smoke.

Only very good expensive camera can register each mouse movement.

I am relaxed. I am only thinking globally. When you overclock a lot, especially fighting with time benching to the last minutes of competition, fighting with CB, CBB, condensation and benching alone you don't have time for video recording also not all guys have good cameras, remember that we spend every penny on expensive hardware... not cameras or cards (mostly). If in each competition amount of verification will go up, it will limit users participating, cause all of those are obstacles. For instance benching with a friend and at his place and you forget your recording camera. Or you are limited by GB space, or you are so exciting with your golden cpu/gpu that you forget to set camera on and you have WR but after this Titan died hahaha... Moreover, some sessions last many hours. I think it's totally idea out of space.

I could understand those verifications protocols if prices were like 25-100K USD/EURO. But not ticket to Taipei which cost about 700-900 USD and you paid for Titan 1000-1300 USD (depends from country), for your Haswells 300-2000 USD (depends how many), SSD, PSU, MEMs, monitors, LN2 used for Qualifier + Semi final... 7970 in 1st round (or few 500-1500 USD), Mpower Z77/GD65 Gaming (200-500 USD), i7 3930K (500-2000 USD depends how many you had to buy to get a good one), X79 GD65/Xpower Bing Bang II 300-500 USD and now Z87 board... 200-300 USD.... Yap competition like World Final in theory is priceless, but if MSI organized contest where you needed 4x Titan to participate (Full Out), Cinebench (Full Out) - Multi CPU allowed... would you participate in it? ;)

It appears that, despite the fact how OC community loves Live Events, OC contests... all have their price.

Edited by Xtreme Addict

I'm on mobile phone now...... I cannot Write everyrhing I Like, so I Will make an exaustive post tonight.

@ vivi I don't think you are playing in a fair way with all this trhead...

@ verification video, If it Will be mandatory, Must be the same also For hasewell benchmark

I was confirmed that a right photoschop skilled People, can modificate screenshot and nobody can recognize it

@ massman....I Always respected you.... But this time I think you should take Care more about the feeling of the community you rappresent and wich made hwbot grow up

• Crew
What is the problem to open 3dmark file with a score done on Titan + Epower and only set higher clocks via hot key on "stock" Titan in 2D? If there is bunnyextraction quality web cam or phone camera, it will be invisible, especially when you will have ln2 smoke.

Only very good expensive camera can register each mouse movement.

XA you are misunderstanding,

the point of the video isn't to show ln2 smoke and unclear footage. The whole point of it is to show that you are following the rules and have the score on the screen or the clocks on the screen. ITs a verification video, not a hey look at my system but you cant see anything video. IF someone goes through the trouble of "faking" a score by running a default titan and clock it to 1700 for the video then dayum they deserve to go for all that trouble

@ giorgrio, sorry bro this thread wasn't to create this madness. Titan was allowed, and epower, im totally happy with that. This new problem was not my fault, i apologize if any of this was actually my fault

@XA, i just want a fair fight, sorry if i sound rude, im gonna extract myself from this thread and just read and post light comments :)

Edited by Vivi

I am understanding correctly. The problem is that benching with bunnyextraction camera will not prevent the possibility of using Epower or NON MSI VRM. To be 100% sure you will have to bench with 2-3 good expensive cameras, from different angles. That's all. And you will focus on camera recording or benching when your expensive hw will be burning?

I can agree that benching SuperPI with camera would prevent ES cpus using. But it is still not good for benching itself, more validation = more obstacles = more costs, HW would die cause you would be filming, not looking for condensation, mosfet smell, water, also more time consuming. Also prizes are not like 1 mln USD... sometimes higher prizes are given away by vendors on FB pages by clicking "Like!" button.

In fact best possibility to ES cpus... would be to allow them BUT Intel would deliver/rent/sell QEH6 ES (reviewer samples) cpus to each participant... Intel now is official HWBOT partner so it could be organized. QE6S cpus are useless on MSI/GB boards.

I think officially it's one big mess and madness this second round. Everything was okay until someone start messing with rules, cause rules were clear from the qualifier.

Second thing - HOW EPOWER CAN BE CONSIDERED AS CHEATING? It's hardmod. You are doing valid result, you pour ln2 and so on. It's not photoshop - photoshopping is cheating, not real serious benching. Also what is MSI VRM? I understand if you add some additional capacitors it's not MSI VRM anymore, the same when you solder trimpots, cause it's not original, it's modified. And what about custom made VRM? Like hipro magical ddr2 maximizers and so on? It's also not MSI VRM. So in fact instead of making contest where best overclocker, with highest skill wins because he can mod a card, create his own VRM and so on (what is the idea of MOA and other OC Contests) MSI is making a contest limited, when ocers, especially those desperate, hurt by changing rules (because they paid a lot of $ for epowers/titans/modding) will say bunny you and don't participate or simply participate "bypassing" laugh worth rules.

I am asking one more time, how hardmods can be banned, and how it can be validated, if there is nothing on screenshot/futuremark validation file. I understand rules and limits, but how it can be validated?

It's the same as some USA (in some states) old laws (from XIX century) like sex in sundays or anal sex is forbidden... how the hell they can validate it? - now with technology it's possible, but it would be limiting privacy (like 24/7 camera on your body) and simply people would strike or go away from crazy state...

Edited by Xtreme Addict

Just came back from a vacation. Till I've already got my ticket reading MOA news is always a big interest for me but not this time.

Sorry but it's a shame!

@ Epower was allowed (not prohibited at least) for stage 1 in A ot B so where's the logic in changing HW usage rules though all say it's not the way to go and MSI+HWBOT follows it according to other HW stuff?

@ early Epower is the way to go for many PRO-ocers here at HWBOT for two-three years I suppose and till this time nobody complained on that thing. Let's follow the logic and ban k|ngp|n from HWBOT tomorrow? And soldering irons in a week? C'mon guys, all these modding things are only minor stuff for the correct hands and brains. HW labeled with 'MSI' is the major one.

@ This kind of OC challenge is for the best and high-skilled guys. AFAIK many A-fighters have got their own Epowers with pre-modded Titans already. Pre-tested, ready for the challenge. If you are in TOP15 just 'cuz MOA attracted less pro ocers than MSI wanted to see it's not the good way to make equal rules for everybody.

@ is MSI ready to share VRM-datasheets for all their Lightning cards? Till I personally know only 1 person who might do a zombie VRM from Light by himself for a week or two. Maybe. I personally don't have skills and resources to do anything else than make a usual mod, use Epower or cut DirectCu II/MATRIX VRM and play with those. Still no time even with datasheets on the knees 'cuz semi-finals start in 2 days and will not last long enough to play the right way!

@ does MSI want another death-added feedback from the community like earlier with LGA1155 boards, this time with dead Titans?

I feel sorry for those 5-10 A-guys (others won't play hard) risking to loose at least $1300 during every bench-session.

Yep, I've already received a confirmation letter from MSI regarding MOA WW ticket winning. Nevertheless I'm totally dissappointed with the mess which is going on here right now. And it will go further. Just because of one badly thinked rule.

I think officially it's one big mess and madness this second round. Everything was okay until someone start messing with rules, cause rules were clear from the qualifier.
+1 Edited by cyclone

• Crew

+1

ok ok. This thread was to gather opinions from overclockers on how they felt about 1k$ cards, if the blame is to be mine that epowers got banned which is never anything any of us wanted then i dont know what im suppose to say about that. i also bought epowers and evbot.

Edited by Vivi