HWBOT Community Forums

Asrock Z97 OC Formula-PSC

Guest Bullant

Guest Bullant

Decided to have another play tonight with some memory's Ive only tested on cold couple of times,was all direct boot from bios as this is my X99 OS and my 'me' driver wasn't working

2300 Pi,s @ -150

w02aup.png

9uyio7.png

hwnajd.png

715hjr.png

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bullant

Nice Luumi,

I've got no i7 for my z97 so had little play with Z77 ocf and SB,was not easy running the memory in the black slots as I have a broken pin on the yellow slot so can't use,I didn't have me installed and it went over the cap a little so won't be adding this run to 5ghz

Will get a 4790k soon

kbbwbm.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I grabbed an OCF Z97 and it is still alive after more than 24 hours :D - old stock with old Bios, first tests with cheap lowend stuff I bought for IMC and speed tests, sticks at 1,85v in different constellations, flare 1800 and trident 2000 PSC

Mix@1,85v

flare23trident8813338vwswg.jpg

two remaining trident sticks, 1,85v as well

trident86-882667185vmooxl.jpg

Much more fun to work with a board that works and is not doa :D

Edit Screenfail, but it was this combination

flare23trident8813338uvudr.jpg

Edited by websmile
  • Thanks 1

Guest Bullant

tested my set of Gskill Pi 2300 tonight,they don't seem to like volts to much 2.2v

No waza

2w3wfib.png

Edited by Bullant

Guest Bullant

They are KO PCB mate,I have a set of these that are ST but not quite as good

Anyone every looking to get into cold memory

benching I cant say enough about the Asrock X97 OCF,it just works,trouble free and very easy to use.This board I'm using has seen 60-70 cold memory sessions on cold memory's and is still going strong,benching cold memory is not always about the best results but enjoying your session and learning from it and its what I am able to do with this board

• Administrators

Funny, after doing first tests and yesterday testing samsungs my board now refuses to boot with 2gb sticks above 2400Mhz - seems some are more lucky with this board than others, retail asrock seems to be big lottery, second crap z97 after I had Z87 that worked easily more than 12 months^^

I completely rebuilt, flashed bios and removed cmos battery, now it works - I wonder for how long... :D - seen this before

Edited by websmile

• Administrators

It reset and refused to boot, then came up with oc failed several times blabla^^ - I updated Bios, MEI and removed battery, then changed cpu to 3258- will try 4670k later again to see if it works, but these are issues I don´t know from all other 1150 boards I had so far, the i5 ran 2750 psc on Impact and easy 2800+ on sams yesterday and today as well

Guest Bullant
Funny, after doing first tests and yesterday testing samsungs my board now refuses to boot with 2gb sticks above 2400Mhz - seems some are more lucky with this board than others, retail asrock seems to be big lottery, second crap z97 after I had Z87 that worked easily more than 12 months^^

I completely rebuilt, flashed bios and removed cmos battery, now it works - I wonder for how long... :D - seen this before

Mine is a retail man,I haven't really had your problem where it won't boot above 2400 on PSC,normally if I have any problems due to OCing "my own doing"I will try just the following,remove battery,remove CPU and then remove memory,this is rare tho and fixes anything that may have affected my OCing

• Administrators

This problem is new to me as well, never had it on gigagyte, asus or z87 asrock I used over a year - as said I will test it again with 4670k now with 3258 it works again after procedure I mentioned before, was quite similar to what you did. Either the board does not like my 4670K or I am less lucky than you are^^

I also had this couple of times - suddenly board refuses to boot with settings that worked previously, even conservative ones like 2400@1.85 or 2200@1.75, so I think "wtf? degradation?" and then few restarts later there is a double reboot, and things are working again. Had this with both 3258 and 4690k + PSC as well as 4690k and Hyper/BBSE, CPU @air/SS.

No issue for me as there seems to be no permanent damage, but it's definitely a setback, yet nothing compared to what I went through with various DFI boards in the past. Perhaps solar flashes :P

• Administrators

I´m spoiled by Asus and z87 Asrock that worked without issues :P - well, I concentrated now on some Samsung tests with the board and my crap 3258, and this worked quite well

18-191433c9tight2.08v9du1u.jpg

Also worked with 4670K before, will see if PSC and I5 can do the job now when I have higher frustrastion tolerance limit :D

4ghz18-191437c9tighttc4qrf.jpg

• Administrators

So, small update - after verifying that the board can do 2666+ with psc with 3258 I reinserted the 4670K - and the wonder-board refuses to boot 2600 :D - I guess I should put the blame on the cpu, who cares that it did 2750+ with PSC 32m on Asus, it can´t be the asrock miracle board, hu? :D Maybe it is the mems, all my kits must have degraded within 5 seconds xD - if it works like planned I will get 4770K next week and see if issue will be the same...

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Done already, changed cpus, hard reset, removed cmos battery, confirmed board runs 2720+ psc with 3258, just ran 2880 tight samsung with the 4670k - last chance I take will be the 4770K I get, will test this, if it doesn´t work I will test 4670k and 4770k again on asus - and if this still works I know the asrock I have is crap :P - no matter if it is compability or a bug on my special board, it makes things no fun at all