HWBOT Community Forums

Asrock Z97 OC Formula-PSC

Guest Bullant

Speaking for my board, some days it's fine, day after it may decide to give me trouble for a week or so. Trying to look for a bad part in the system will make you go full circle. I just let it sit for a while and bench with Z87M in the meantime. :D

Contributing to topic, some XTU at 1360 8-12-8 from a couple months ago

hqy6o2ut.png

Guest Bullant
So, small update - after verifying that the board can do 2666+ with psc with 3258 I reinserted the 4670K - and the wonder-board refuses to boot 2600 :D - I guess I should put the blame on the cpu, who cares that it did 2750+ with PSC 32m on Asus, it can´t be the asrock miracle board, hu? :D Maybe it is the mems, all my kits must have degraded within 5 seconds xD - if it works like planned I will get 4770K next week and see if issue will be the same...

If your having so many problems with the board web maybe you should email asrock about your problems or if your getting such great results and reliability from ASus maybe use their board

I'm sure most people can say they have so many problems with different manufactures boards but this board has been a pleasure to use for me,reliability and what it can achieve

• Administrators

Other than people I know I don´t give up fast - so I will test with the 4770K to come to see what causes the problems. I don´t have problems with the board generally, it is nearly as good as Asus Impact and easier to handle, I have problems with the board in combination with my 4670K :) - even my cheap test PSC do 2720+ cas8 32m limited by 3258´s IMC limit. If you don´t like that I write about my experience, that´s your problem, I have no problem with Asrock and used ocfm z87 for over a year being satisfied, it was a much better board than z87 Asus boards for example, but I see no reason to hide the fact that my first board was half doa and completely dead after 24 hours and I now have issues with the i5 - I could make it easy and blame it on Asrock, instead I bought the 4770k and test more to solve it. OCF and 4670K work fine with my last Samsungs btw

4670k18-1945ghz1432toczure.jpg

Edited by websmile

• Administrators

Got the 4770K, inserted and used some random Ripjaws I bought by mistake, 2600 first try boot and 32m - obviously the problem is caused by compability of my i5 and the board, which works fine as the 4670K does on other board - weird, but at least the OCF is fine, and I guess I will have to use Sams with the old wrecked 4670K on it :D

gbrh200099-001300c818a5rfy.jpg

• Administrators

I only tried the two official version 110 and 130, do you have a fast link for the betas? At Asrock can´t find them and google brought me an uncertain 1,12 version only - might be worth trying a beta especially with my 4670k fail xD

Guest Bullant
Thanks a lot, Bull :) - will give it a try

Cool,will look for the one I use L0.12C,or Splave or Loud may have it on hand and post it in here

I have L012C will repost it later tonight, but between it and L112D no difference in memory clocking for me.

Also I have an early ES boarded (not coated, (ab)used, and letting a team mate borrow) along with a retail board I bought from Newegg that I am currently using and neither have given me any issue's that weren't my fualt (i.e. dirty ram slots, dimms). What I do know after Allen showed me how dirty the dimms can get is spray some CRC QD Contact cleaner on a blue shop towel and clean the gold pins before every session, you will be surprised what comes off of them :D

• Confused 1

What I do know after Allen showed me how dirty the dimms can get is spray some CRC QD Contact cleaner on a blue shop towel and clean the gold pins before every session, you will be surprised what comes off of them :D
So much this!

I've recently seen a board go from mem CBB at -10 (on three different kits) to easy full pot (on two of the same kits) just after digging an impact-reset-button-sized amount of dirt from what looked like clean RAM slots at first.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Dirt can be a problem indeed, but I clean my mems regularly for years now, and on a new board I don´t expect dirt in slots^^ - wouldn´t explain anyway why the problem occurs only on one cpu and two others not. I fear the cpu contacts are not in best shape on 4670K, and the problem comes because of this, anyway new bios might help, but in case it is mechanical problem I will have to live with it

• Administrators

To make a long story short - the 4670K will not work at 2400+ with bbse or psc on OCF, no matter which Bios or cooler I use, the problem can´t be solved, so that´s life. I rechecked on other boards, there it works, and with other cpus the asrock flies with psc so I assume it to be problem with contacts of the 4670K which seem to be a bit worn out, and therefore one channel is weak - definitely no problem of the board itself which works flawless

Had my first run with cold PSC today, 4690k + A-Data XPG 2000 + EK SF3D pot + DI, also my first time with DI. While I got nothing interesting in terms of CPU, mems did 1350 7-12-7 with 2.1V. I couldn't tighten TRCD to 11, more than 2.1 did not help and now mobo stops booting on 26 error code. Guess it's time to bed, will try to push it tomorrow.

Guest Bullant

Was the code like 2b if so it should just be some moisture in the memory slot,just let dry and it should be fine ,don't forget to clear CMOS battery before you try again cause we don't want 2.1v on air

It maybe 26 code but always look like 2b to me,should just be what I said,just make sure you tape of the other 2 slots that are not being used as well when benching cold memory

Just on trcd,this is a timing that loves cold the colder the better,while some good bin kits will run trcd11 at your speeds it does require more cold then -50 when you wanting lower trcd with stability.So its not always about volts but cold as well

Edited by Bullant

Thx Bull, max I do on air is 1.95. I need to improve my insulation, it was first time, and I used regular kitchen towels, I already noticed water drop on the capacitors near far black slot.

The best I had was around 1380 8-12-7, but again, I consider this as "getting acquainted" with cold memory.

Guest Bullant

Yep very nice,just insulate good,tape unused slots off and some paper towel over top of them as well

After session I normally hairdryer the board and memory slots,the key also to benching cold memory at only little cold is the "fan",if we blow fan to hard at memory it will cause moisture,also depends what you climate is like

Nice start and sounds like your memory are ok,I'm guessing you have asrock board,you can post results in here if you like ,cold or air

Edited by Bullant

That might be the case, I didn't cover yellow slots, just stuck there some paper, so probably that's why it stopped working. The weather's bad last two days, it's cold and humid, so it doesn't help either. I'll wait with a hairdryer for the morning :)

Next stop - 231W TEC + EKWB adapter, let's see if this is able to give an edge over air benching.

I always use a hot gun immediately after the session and I'd recommend it to you as well. Not only for the board, but for the mems too.

Last time I benched several hours with cpu and psc (1333 5-9-6) on LN2 and half of the board froze, including the heatsink for the vrms, even though I always have fans that blow away the cold vapor.

Good insulation around mem slots is critical if you want to not worry about moisture and bench several hours. Otherwise you'd need to stop very early.

Watch out for water drops under the heatsinks, just where the vrms are, if the heatsinks were frozen.

If you don't remove the heatsinks, make sure to heat them up to the point it is very hot to the touch, so any water drops left would vapor.

It is also important to heat up memory slots.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 1

Nice man ^

Had a chance to stability test some new PSC I bought not to long ago

1.91v and all air

20pvdop.png

148hiqa.jpg

Kangaroos might binned and now hold a special stash of PSC from where u buy these,really nice air on ram at least and i am sure they will rock on cold.What type of IC,X.. ?

• Haha 1