HWBOT Community Forums

HIPRO5 DDR Maximizer

FUGGER

4 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

What does it do?

Looks like a little dedicated(and pretty much totally unnecessary in most cases) PSU for your RAM. With some built-in volt mods and a digital voltmeter.

In other words...nothing...that can't be accomplished without it. 

14 hours ago, FUGGER said:

A few still exist, mine has the DDR2 adapter and I have the original box.

Not for sale, just showing off.

ddr1.jpg

@hipro5

I have one too

And i also have all adapter variants (ddr-ddr2-ddr3)

Great device and very overclocking friendly ... it was a must have back then !!!

:)

Here are some product pics

Box_1_jpg.jpg

Box_2_jpg.jpg

DDR1_PCB_jpg.jpg

Photo4_jpg.jpg

DDR2_PCB_1_jpg.jpg

Red_Silver_jpg.jpg

Red_Black_jpg.jpg

Blue_Black_jpg.jpg

Site_map_photo5_jpg.jpg

The good old i4memory , still hosts some review pictures of the maximizer device

http://i4memory.com/reviewimages/memory/hipro_maximizer/html/

Edited by TASOS

9 hours ago, MrGenius said:

Looks like a little dedicated(and pretty much totally unnecessary in most cases) PSU for your RAM. With some built-in volt mods and a digital voltmeter.

In other words...nothing...that can't be accomplished without it. 

You seem to have a very solid opinion for something that you havent actually seen or even touch ... and also dont have a clue what exactly it is , how it works , what it adjusts ... and so on.

It's like someone comes here after a decade and writes that current "epower devices are totally unnecessary in most cases"

?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Have to agree with TASOS. Those devices were great on boards which fed the dram off the 3.3V line (Abit NF7 anyone?). On those boards the only choice to overclock Winbond BH-5 was such a booster. I've had an OCZ booster myself and sold it last year. Great device. Back then i never had the funds to afford a hipro5 booster, but i loved the design of it.

Thanks for sharing this, Fugger!

Today i'd rather buy a DCDC stepdown for a few bucks and hock it up to the vrm coils instead of using a blank Dram PCB to feed the memory.

Edited by Tzk

16 hours ago, TASOS said:

You seem to have a very solid opinion for something that you havent actually seen or even touch ... and also dont have a clue what exactly it is , how it works , what it adjusts ... and so on.

It's like someone comes here after a decade and writes that current "epower devices are totally unnecessary in most cases"

?

Yeah right. I know exactly how all of it works. It's not rocket science. And no, you don't need one of those to do any of it. Need more volts? Wire to the 3.3V or 5V rail. Need more amps? Replace the MOSFETs with better ones. Need better capacitors?  Better coils? Replace those too. Trimmers in a box with a fancy digital voltmeter/display. Whoopty do...

It's unnecessary because what's already on the board is likely plenty to do whatever you want to do as far as OC the shit out of your RAM. RAM isn't a high power device that needs epower...EVER!!! You're trippin' with that comparison. And even if you needed to replace some MOSFETs or whatever(not likely)...they're a hell of a lot cheaper than that thing I'm sure. Hence why those things never caught on. They're pretty much good for nothing. Meaning they do nothing that can't be done just as easily and/or more cheaply without them. And that's a fact.

Or maybe you can point me to an instance of one being used to break some kind of RAM OC record that could never have been achieved without it. I'd love to see that...

10 minutes ago, MrGenius said:

Need more volts? Wire to the 3.3V or 5V rail. Need more amps? Replace the MOSFETs with better ones. Need better capacitors?  Better coils? Replace those too.

Oh, it is that simple nowadays when old hardware is dirt cheap and you can have several ram kits, several motherboards etc. Back then, only some people were going mad with extreme hard mods etc and such a handy device was of a great help for people who wanted to keep the warranty etc.

Even nowadays I see that vgas are being epowered mostly when they become outdated - and it's understandable. Will one solder ROG Dominus Extreme worth $$$$ paid from own pocket to gain 1% today - don't think so. That's why we have Elite league and Extreme league btw.

18 minutes ago, MrGenius said:

Or maybe you can point me to an instance of one being used to break some kind of RAM OC record that could never have been achieved without it. I'd love to see that...

I'm quite sure some of the bh5 records back then were set with either OCZ or hipro5's booster.

Just another example of modern OC hardware - I bought Elmor's EVC2. Can it be replaced with something else? Sure. But it makes things easier as created "by overclocker for overclockers".

• Like 2

Back then if you did not have an Oskar Wu board you were looking at buying a Maximizer or Booster for stock boards.  

I remember wiring the 3.3v output from the PSU, having a psu with 3.3v rail trimmer was the trick and I also remember messing up a few boards doing this, but I used my Maximizer quite a bit when I switched boards and with the Intel boards.   Oddly my best BH5 is still alive from OCZ

I also have the OCZ Booster

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MrGenius said:

Yeah right. I know exactly how all of it works. It's not rocket science. And no, you don't need one of those to do any of it. Need more volts? Wire to the 3.3V or 5V rail. Need more amps? Replace the MOSFETs with better ones. Need better capacitors?  Better coils? Replace those too. Trimmers in a box with a fancy digital voltmeter/display. Whoopty do...

It's unnecessary because what's already on the board is likely plenty to do whatever you want to do as far as OC the shit out of your RAM. RAM isn't a high power device that needs epower...EVER!!! You're trippin' with that comparison. And even if you needed to replace some MOSFETs or whatever(not likely)...they're a hell of a lot cheaper than that thing I'm sure. Hence why those things never caught on. They're pretty much good for nothing. Meaning they do nothing that can't be done just as easily and/or more cheaply without them. And that's a fact.

At your first post i was kind of skeptical about you.

To be honest , i said to myself "come on that's MrGenius posting" let's be positive , lets see what he really means with his post.

But after your 2nd post i am 100% certain.

I wont get into technical details you cant follow up ... so i wont answer you.

I dont know where you come from , but in my place you are the kind of man we call "Karagiozis"

It's a historical figure that you need to study to broaden your knowledge.

This little video is deticated to you (please dont jump into any conclusion in a hurry ... take your time , seriously).

P.S.

I understand that you didnt get the meaning of my emoticon in the first place , so please do your best this time :)

???

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, TASOS said:

At your first post i was kind of skeptical about you.

To be honest , i said to myself "come on that's MrGenius posting" let's be positive , lets see what he really means with his post.

But after your 2nd post i am 100% certain.

I wont get into technical details you cant follow up ... so i wont answer you.

I dont know where you come from , but in my place you are the kind of man we call "Karagiozis"

It's a historical figure that you need to study to broaden your knowledge.

This little video is deticated to you (please dont jump into any conclusion in a hurry ... take your time , seriously).

P.S.

I understand that you didnt get the meaning of my emoticon in the first place , so please do your best this time :)

???

Sharp but precise as always - wish he understood.

Had many years to laugh so much :)))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
18 minutes ago, Sparks.nl said:

Hi, can anyone help me in getting the manuals for Dip switches and other settings for the DDR Maximizer? 

You can track links from the original post at XS

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?126014-Hipro-Maximizer-powered-DDR2

You can download from web archive

https://web.archive.org/web/20111125030212/http://www.hipro-tech.com:80/pdf/English.pdf