HWBOT Community Forums

I challenge YOU! to have a worse REX than me!

Hey guys,

got my super awesome totally-must-have RampageExtreme X48 today. Tested with 2x E8400 and a lot of DDR3 Ram modules. One CPU does about 610x9 FSB, the other one about 625x9 and 645x8 (C0 and E0) @ Singlestage on my Rampage Formula.

Well, got them to 583 FSB on my REX. It's even one of the "good" ones with completely blue PCI-E slots. Anyone ever had a worse REX?! vNB = 1,67V.

I have to add that, when I first dismounted the boards cooling system, several components were still stuck to the coolers. Nice build quality Asus. Had to resolder them first. One of it was a choke for the Northbridge potential delivery. Do you think this could be a reason for the board going so badly?

By the way, I got it to 550MHz FSB SuperPi 1M with 1,391V vNB. That seemed pretty okay and i hoped to get it to maybe 630 or something with more voltage. But I tried different CPUs, Rams, BIOSes and a lot of settings and i was unable to do 585 SuperPi 1M.

Hardware Masters, let me know what you think ;)

Never gonna use eBay again for buying motherboards :P

Regards,

Masterchief79

Edited by Masterchief79

I beat you all, I have 2 IBM motherboards that boot only if you hot swap the processor from a Core 2 Duo to Pentium 4.

During 2 days I tried everything possible with those 2 same boards, thought impossible that both weren't working.

Never wanted to boot but then I found the trick:

Start with a C2D (Power on, fans on and so)

Shut it down (by power supply switch) shut it on just after

Eject the Core2Duo, place the Pentium 4 very very quick

Hit the reset button then the motherboard boots and allows you to go in the BIOS and boot Windows.

^This is the ONLY way to boot the board

True story!

U CAN'T TOUCH THIS!

Did all of that only for 1 gold cup/ 2 hardware points :D

I bought an amazing, pretested E8600 which did nice clocks at realy low voltage (cant remember exact values). Used some LN2 and it had a CB at -30°C...

Bought ASUS MARS I for 1200€ and it would only run all the benchmarks about 50 MHz downclocked. So it was about as fast as a normal GTX295.

• Crew
I have a REX 3 in RMA for about 1 year now, beat that!

I Triple dare you !!

I have a REX, REX3, Maximus IV Extreme for over a year in RMA.

From which ASUS RMA dep so called repaired the REX twice, however it never booted. Now after the third visit to the RMA center it's labelled unrepairable looooooooooool. Also a way to cover warranty and let it expire

My REX 3 came back from RMA, as dead as could be... CPU was watercooled, one mosfet went down, never ever came back to live: ASUS said it was repaired, yeah right...

Maximus IV Extreme , no longer changed bclock : still awaiting the board, must be a darn hard RMA

!!! ASUS GET YOUR RMA DEP OUT OF THAT EURO COUNTRY !!! IT's HORRIFIC

Edited by Leeghoofd

I'm afraid that it weren't my settings. Apparently, I don't have much experience with this board, but can't be that hard right? I mean taking my Rampage Formula to 645 FSB took me about 10 minutes and after all, the RE is not so different. Well, I had some friends over and we were trying to game on this board, it crashed and I couldn't boot it up again.

Just seems to be some kind of defective, I will just give it back.

By the way, I also had a MSI P45 Platinum, had pretty much all bugs which you could possibly have with it. There was no BIOS that worked except 1.1, all other ones didn't boot at all (no POST), I mean WTF is this shit?! Do they have monkeys there at MSI for BIOS programming or what? Had to deal with that board for over two years, it also didn't POST over 533 FSB. 532 was perfectly stable, but there was simply _NO WAY_ to get it boot with 533. Try to declare this as a case for RMA. ^^

Never had a MSI board again since then, except for a Big Bang Marshal which I could buy pretty cheap and sell pretty expensive.

@Leeghoofd: This is going to be a looong thread if everyone starts to talk about Asus RMA :D I exactly know what you mean, I returned an M4E which burned due to a defective Ram module (TeamGroup didn't reply of course, so what else to do with it)? Guess what I got back.... I really try to avoid Asus boards since then, but I already burned a DFI X48 and for 775, there are not many alternatives eh...

@Roman: Ouch :o Did you try to RMA the Mars? By the way, reminds me of my not-bought-for-overclocking-HD5970 Black Edition Limited, also not stable @stock...

Edited by Masterchief79

It's all about the NB Chip itself guys, newer REXes we were buying couldn't do the same fsb, I still got one slightly wounded by going alright, been a while since I fired it up though, it was a great board to OC with when it wanted to play nice heh

I Triple dare you !!

I have a REX, REX3, Maximus IV Extreme for over a year in RMA.

From which ASUS RMA dep so called repaired the REX twice, however it never booted. Now after the third visit to the RMA center it's labelled unrepairable looooooooooool. Also a way to cover warranty and let it expire

My REX 3 came back from RMA, as dead as could be... CPU was watercooled, one mosfet went down, never ever came back to live: ASUS said it was repaired, yeah right...

Maximus IV Extreme , no longer changed bclock : still awaiting the board, must be a darn hard RMA

!!! ASUS GET YOUR RMA DEP OUT OF THAT EURO COUNTRY !!! IT's HORRIFIC

Gimme your RMA numbers/cases, I will take care ;)