HWBOT Community Forums

I challenge YOU! to have a worse REX than me!

I once had an Asus P5K that could only run 266MHz FSB. When I set 267MHz, the board would not even POST :).

Beat that!

I had a P5K-E that couldn't do more than 330-340 FSB IIRC.

So as I was a bit mad, I said WTH and out of fun and madness put 420MHz FSB in BIOS, pressed F10 and there you go - it booted fine, all benchmarks and stress tests passed. So you see, FSB black holes do exist :P

TL/DR : FSB in the range 330-410 wouldn't POST, below and above was fine,

Beat that!

I Triple dare you !!

I have a REX, REX3, Maximus IV Extreme for over a year in RMA.

From which ASUS RMA dep so called repaired the REX twice, however it never booted. Now after the third visit to the RMA center it's labelled unrepairable looooooooooool. Also a way to cover warranty and let it expire

My REX 3 came back from RMA, as dead as could be... CPU was watercooled, one mosfet went down, never ever came back to live: ASUS said it was repaired, yeah right...

Maximus IV Extreme , no longer changed bclock : still awaiting the board, must be a darn hard RMA

!!! ASUS GET YOUR RMA DEP OUT OF THAT EURO COUNTRY !!! IT's HORRIFIC

dude that last one is broken management engine i think. thats just a bios flash from a standalone chip flasher and away you go!

Visiontek 3870 - artifacting right out of BNIB

Patriot 2400 crap rams - heatsink fell off taking them out of package. insta-return didnt even bother

Maximus Formula - First boot out of box, smoke and fire.

DFI LTX48T2R - Board stopped working after 2 days. tried for 3 months every day and nothing... 1 year later it boots no problems and has been running in a buddy's rig for a few years now with no issue.

Edited by zeneffect

• Crew
dude that last one is broken management engine i think. thats just a bios flash from a standalone chip flasher and away you go!

That's what we suspect too, however we tried ROG flash, hotflashing,... bclock remains stuck at 100... Board is still not back from RMA, unrepairable it seems :D

• Crew

Bought ASUS MARS I for 1200€ and it would only run all the benchmarks about 50 MHz downclocked. So it was about as fast as a normal GTX295.

this is normal isnt it? i tried 2 PCS and couldnt run stock clocks, but were okay under LN2

DFI LTX48T2R - Board stopped working after 2 days. tried for 3 months every day and nothing... 1 year later it boots no problems and has been running in a buddy's rig for a few years now with no issue.

Complete WIN!!

Complete WIN!!

My 790FX-M2R had the same behaviour. 88 POST CODE all of a sudden. Tried so many things, 1 week CMOS clear, 6-7 different CPUs, you name it. Then I tossed it into the dead mobo box I had. Other boards were thrown into the box, hitting the DFI. Then, before I was going to throw everything out, I tested all the boards. Used a stick of RAM I thought was dead, and it booted. Worked nicely ever since, except for that +10c coldbug it's always had:D

Ah yes btw: I got that money for the REX back from eBay in the meantime. Board didn't boot after crashing once.

I dismounted the coolers, resoldered the NB-chokes and modified the coolers slightly (I abraded some copper so the chokes don't have contact with the cooling system anymore). This was a problem, because the chokes weren't perfectly straight in place and somehow, the coolers pressed against the (already weak) solder jonts.

Well, mounted my SS and benched a E3400 after that, board couldn't have worked better ;)

PS: Am I right if I say that REX's doesn't like G.Skill Ram?

I don't think so. Specified for 2133MHz CL9-11-10-28 2T or something. Aren't good chips, just got them laying around. Can run them on Auto, but as soon as I try to change the latencies manually, I don't get a post. Maybe because they are 4GB modules?

For benching, I inserted my 1155 Ram (2x2GB AData XPG G 2000MHz CL9-9-9-24 1T). Everything was running fine then.

Edit: http://geizhals.de/eu/735666 but only with 2 modules.

Edited by Masterchief79

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, Update!

As I used my Sandy system (which I normally use 24/7) otherwise, I had to build another system, you know, for gaming etc, from parts that were laying around. I used the REX I was talking about here with a Q6600@3,8GHz and a XFX 5970 BE Limited.

So, a few days ago I broke my M4E (again) and repaired it (again -> this board is awesome, one socket pin broke off, one conductor path burned since one of my pals inserted a ram module the wrong way... and one condensator exploded - repaired still working@5GHz 24/7), so I decided to go back for my Sandy 24/7.

I then used the REX for benching an E7200 office CPU and got to 595MHz FSB, wait whut? Remember, initially I was stuck at 570... Yea kinda funny, maybe the everyday usage did its thing to the resoldered northbridge phase. As the E7200 only has a 266 default FSB and 595 are already pretty high for this chip^^ I rebenched my E8400, 610MHz FSB just working their way through SPi 32M. Can't explain this change, same settings as before.

Concerning ROG boards, I got pretty lucky I guess :D Three killed, three repaired ;)

What do you mean with stuffed exactly? If it means what I think - most probably no :D Brocken socket = broken board, I mean you would have like to solder a new socket onto it... I fixed a M4G once with about 20 bent pins once but that's it...

To my rex: Works mostly fine now, some small issues (hangs when I try to save bios settings etc.), but much better than before. I tested for max FSB and without much tweaking or clock skew adjusting I got to about 640FSB CPU-Z.

Here is the previous E84 32M run: http://hwbot.org/submission/2300403_masterchief79_superpi_32m_core_2_e8400_%283.0ghz%29_9min_21sec_922ms

Got that down to 8m53@5350MHz now, with still 2 cores active, further testing tomorrow (or today - it's 3.30 AM here). And we'll also see if I can break my 5608MHz validation from the RF (2C/2T).

So, atm I'm happy, apparently got 2 640+ boards :D