HWBOT Community Forums

Rant: Sandbagging

xxbassplayerxx

I dont think everybody could just drop their lives to bench for a 24 hour comp with no notice.

It doesn't matter when a competition is, there will be someone who struggles to find the time, even if they have notice.

BUT..... give people notice. I "ran" a competition once on Benchtec at zero notice and boy, did I get some flaming :P

It doesn't matter when a competition is, there will be someone who struggles to find the time, even if they have notice.

BUT..... give people notice. I "ran" a competition once on Benchtec at zero notice and boy, did I get some flaming :P

Ofcourse, you'll never be able to please everybody, the timing can't always be right. But giving notice allows the people who will be able to find the time to prepare and work things around it. I couldn't setup to bench in a days notice if I wasn't planning to bench anyway, just ordering LN2 needs 48h notice.

How about just accept sand bagging is part of this hobby and move on with your lives and find something else to cry about.

You are the only one crying, ironically, about other people crying. Everyone else is talking the way normal people do. Maybe you could join us?

FWIW, I think sandbagging is fine, just not for me. I think the capture the flag/king of the mountain thing I suggested earlier would be interesting, but it would be more complicated to implement and it isn't really necessary. The current competitions are popular and fun.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

I like the idea of having a score sheet that depends on the time you were 1st. Like, you can start a competition on the 1st, allowing people to make subs - but... say 500h before the deadline, being top 5 generates some points per hour you're on top, maybe 0.5-0.4-0.3-0.2-0.1. The overall winner could get something like 150 points, so it's 60-40 time based vs final score, which is fair IMO.

Funny with the "stop crying", who was crying about John Lam???

I like the idea of having a score sheet that depends on the time you were 1st. Like, you can start a competition on the 1st, allowing people to make subs - but... say 500h before the deadline, being top 5 generates some points per hour you're on top, maybe 0.5-0.4-0.3-0.2-0.1. The overall winner could get something like 150 points, so it's 60-40 time based vs final score, which is fair IMO.

I like your idea Knut, but 60-40 is way too much... I'd say 10% of the total is plenty powerful to make people reconsider the sandbagging and be a real sport.... :-)

I like your idea Knut, but 60-40 is way too much... I'd say 10% of the total is plenty powerful to make people reconsider the sandbagging and be a real sport.... :-)

Fair call mark but I was right they did share screen shots so hardly a comparison.

60-40 is fair IMO. Those who submit late will still get some bonus points, so in reality it's alot less than 60-40.

Sandbagging must hurt so much that there's a big risk of doing it. 10% won't compensate for the loss of advantage by posting earlier. Plus, there's plenty of time to bench before the bonus points are rewarded. Should be easy enough to put up something semi decent by then.

• Crew
What we've done with OCN competitions is to have "checkpoints" at which points are given over the period of a competition... every 10 days or so points are awarded... it brings out the good scores quicker.

Cool idea... now try to persuade Massman :P I'll be back in 2013 for his reply :P

All the cool Australians are arrogant pricks. :D

Cool Australians ? This thread is derailed !

Every new limit or complicated rule makes the competition less attractive!

I think the best idea is simply just like it was in MOA (I stage and II stage) or weekly prices like in LOC.

It encourages overclockers to do serious results and publish them (I & II stage but everything has to be with normal time frames, it can't be abused and in my opinion it shouldn't be present in every contest, remember - many overclockers bench only on weekends or when they have some spare time). Weekly prices make overclockers less sandbagging (of course if they want to win additional prices). Many overclockers try many samples of cpus/vgas and sometimes it happens that they find a golden one last day. There are also cases when hw has to be shipped from abroad and stucks in custom office...

Sandbagging will be present or simply the highest score won't be the winning one. It can't be eliminated but can be reduced a bit.

Edited by Xtreme Addict

Easier said than done! If we all benched to the limit every time, each CPU/GPU would effectively become single use disposable... The only way to be sure you've pushed it to its limit is to kill it pushing it harder.

I push harder than I would otherwise when there are a couple people close to but ahead of me. If I'm in the lead, I try to ensure the hardware lives to run another day so maybe I don't increase that extra few decimal places on voltage... Few of us have endless buckets of hardware/money.

Sofos just beat one of my gold cups by 23 points. I would guess he's sandbagging a backup. But I hadn't pushed that hard to take that gold cup, now that I see there's some competition, I'll push it a bit harder to try to hang onto it... And hopefully the GPU still lives to run another day.

At the top of the rankings, half the battle is putting up the best score, and the other half is an endurance race to see who burns up their cherry gear first.

Sandbagging is a good strategy to get others like me aiming lower than they need to, and maybe the next time they try to comeback on your score the gear will have degraded. I've always put up my best results though, and just waited for others to come after it, then rerun if needed. That said, I have more than a few GPUs that would score great on my current IBs, but have degraded after running them on SB.

I dunno, a lot of CPUs only scale so far with voltage, way before you get close to killing them...dunno about GPUs though but I assume its the same way, like when scaling goes backwards on air because of too much voltage or high temps, I think its the same on LN2