HWBOT Community Forums

Es samples in XOC

The Mutt

Is ES hardware allowed in Xtreme OC League? According to the general rules it isn't but alot of good scores are made with ES samples by people in Xtreme OC and nobody is complaining. I have an ES CPU that I have not posted any 2D scores with beacause I thought it wasn't allowed.

As far as I can see it's not explicitly mentioned in the general rules, but the usage of ES CPUs in the Xtreme OC league is limited to non-current generations. So it is okay to use an i7-980X ES or i7-2600K ES, but not an i7-4770K ES as long as Haswell is the most recent Intel architecture.

Edited by Hyperhorn
Lol, I used the German word "oder", not "or"

As far as I can see it's not explicitly mentioned in the general rules, but the usage of ES CPUs in the Xtreme OC league is limited to non-current generations. So it is okay to use an i7-980X ES oder i7-2600K ES, but not an i7-4770K ES as long as Haswell is the most recent Intel architecture.

This is correct, anything but current gen is good to go.

• 2 months later...
if i am not wrong. no ES of te new generation for points exept in pro league.

all the old ES ar ok

So what happens when there is no pro league? If elite's are allowed to use ES and the points algorithm is the same for everybody in the new combined leagues, then I would say ES is fair game for everybody now.

Comment's staff?

So what happens when there is no pro league? If elite's are allowed to use ES and the points algorithm is the same for everybody in the new combined leagues, then I would say ES is fair game for everybody now.

Comment's staff?

I wouldn't think so. As I see it, while there will be a combined league, people are still partitioned and have a ranking within a 'sub league' if you like. I would assume people that wish to sub with points with current gen ES would have to be under the elite classification.

I think the whole idea here is to move people who are supported with more ease as they will still be able to bench in the same manner they did before, instead of being forced into a cup format, or limbo.

Ok, but what would separate us would be just a titke of the league, or a color. Nothing stops "non-pro's" to use current gen ES anymore. Yes, they will be pushed to elite, but then what that changes? - Norhing, just the title/color. So I would say that's a pretty valid point being raised here.

Ok, but what would separate us would be just a titke of the league, or a color. Nothing stops "non-pro's" to use current gen ES anymore. Yes, they will be pushed to elite, but then what that changes? - Norhing, just the title/color. So I would say that's a pretty valid point being raised here.

You can view the ranking within a sub league, have you seen how it's working on the development server?

There's an overall league with everybody in it yes, but there's also a break down of the leagues, which you can click and view your ranking within that sub league. If you're in the enthusiast league, you can opt to view your ranking among other enthusiasts only.

"Non-pros" that decide they want to use current gen ES would be moved to the elite category (I imagine) where they will no longer be ranked in the overclocker league. Nothing changes in that regard for me.

I wouldn't think so. As I see it, while there will be a combined league, people are still partitioned and have a ranking within a 'sub league' if you like. I would assume people that wish to sub with points with current gen ES would have to be under the elite classification.

I think the whole idea here is to move people who are supported with more ease as they will still be able to bench in the same manner they did before, instead of being forced into a cup format, or limbo.

So what you're saying is, you want to collect points for hardware that only elite's can have, yet expect to be ranked fairly in a combined league when not everybody can run said hardware. Don't think rank, think about points.

That's bullsh1t.

How do you think that's fair for everybody else?

You want a combined league with a common algorithm, then the rules should be the same for everybody.

Common sense says that everybody should move to elite then, where there are no restrictions and points will not change. Rank means nothing, except to stroke your e-pene.

Edited by Mr.Scott

Comment's staff?

There's one table with an overview with everyone, but each of the five overclocker groups still has their own league.

Current generation ES can only be used by Elites. Those who want to compare themselves to the "retail" rankings, there's always the option to disable the Elite overclockers (have a view with 4 other groups) or just see their own league.

There's one table with an overview with everyone, but each of the five overclocker groups still has their own league.

Current generation ES can only be used by Elites. Those who want to compare themselves to the "retail" rankings, there's always the option to disable the Elite overclockers (have a view with 4 other groups) or just see their own league.

I get that, but the issue is with HW points. Elite's will receive HW points for samples that nobody else can run, and that is factored into the overall ranking.

Again, it just makes more sense to join elite to bypass any restrictions, because nothing else will change except the color of your name tag.

Edited by Mr.Scott

That was also the case with the Pro OC League, so not much change there. It would be a hassle - understatement - to give a different set of points for each of the leagues.

So how is this a step forward then, other than adding 2 more leagues to what it was a couple years ago?

Nothing has been resolved in regards to sponsorship or specialty hardware/software. You're going right back to the days when a handful of privileged guys ruled everything.

FWIW, I have no dog in this race. I bench for entertainment, what I want, when I want. I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish.

So how is this a step forward then, other than adding 2 more leagues to what it was a couple years ago?

Nothing has been resolved in regards to sponsorship or specialty hardware/software. You're going right back to the days when a handful of privileged guys ruled everything.

FWIW, I have no dog in this race. I bench for entertainment, what I want, when I want. I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish.

I totally agree with this.

1) A lot of overclockers want to compare themselves to the top dogs

2) Some non-pro overclockers want to try out the Pro OC cup, but not want to lose the profile they worked on for a long time

3) We still need the separation between Elite, Extreme, Enthusiast, etc.

Hopefully the reworked format helps spark interest from the base community to try out LN2 or extreme overclocking

• Administrators
1) A lot of overclockers want to compare themselves to the top dogs

2) Some non-pro overclockers want to try out the Pro OC cup, but not want to lose the profile they worked on for a long time

3) We still need the separation between Elite, Extreme, Enthusiast, etc.

Hopefully the reworked format helps spark interest from the base community to try out LN2 or extreme overclocking

1. So free ES for all?

2. Who forces these guys to use latest gen ES?

3. I get your point, but why are hardwarepoints provided for ES of latest gen that only very few people have access to at all? Wasn´t there a looong discussion going on for years now, that this falsificates ranking? I simply do not understand the rules anymore, and neither do 95% or more here at hwbot. Seeing this, some are more equal than others, and rules are made for these. If this is what is wanted, say it and do not hide behind aministrative excuses :)

No ES only in the Elite League.

There are five separate leagues, only the Elite one allows for lastest-gen ES. There is one overall table which allows Rookies to see where they stack up against Novices, Novices to see how they stack up against Extremes and so on.

• Administrators

I will stay tuned, I am not against progress. If this works, no criticism, often adavantages, strength or weakness of a concept show after it has been established and optimizations can be excecuted still. Will be interesting to watch

No ES only in the Elite League.

There are five separate leagues, only the Elite one allows for lastest-gen ES. There is one overall table which allows Rookies to see where they stack up against Novices, Novices to see how they stack up against Extremes and so on.

It might be interesting but complicated.

Why is it so hard , for some people to understand simple things ???

Simple thing.

E.S. ARE MADE FOR INDOOR TESTING

They are not meant to hit the public.

They belong inside the labs and should stay there.

Why should i be in the same ranking category with an E.S. result ?

Is that considered fair ?

They usually (not always) carry an advantage over the retails.

Most of the times is good binning or better thermal behaviour.

It's not only a CPU matter.

There are plenty other hardware with advantage.

Example = RAM

The super WOW ram modules binned by the factories for a specific event , or even special made modules with chosen one by one memory chips , made to hit the TOP.

That special product competes with POINTS.

It's not only the top place or world record that satisfies them ... they also want points for it.

To be fair.

Some people have the honesty to disable points.

Some others dont.

They want points for them and their team.

Claps , claps !!!

Yeahhhh , way to go mate , you're the one !!!

You want E.S. ranked ?

Rank them in a separate category by their own , period.