HWBOT Community Forums

How much you want to pay for HWBOT?

Massman

How much would you pay for HWBOT's services (yearly)?  

324 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for HWBOT's services (yearly)?

• €0
    • upto €5
    • upto €10
    • upto €25
    • upto €50
    • upto €100
    • upto €200
    • upto €500
    • upto €1000
    • upto €5000

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

extremely interesting and very expensive.

to think about this, I hope more comments and thoughts of all :cool:

Unfortunately, I must say that the payment can significantly reduce the participation of many Latin Americans, so I think before desided, many friends and colleagues can be left out

Sw

I can lower running cost by +- 2000 euro a year once our contract with the current hosting company ends, but this does not have a major impact on the total running cost.

Fact is that if you want to run such a site seriously, you can not do it in spare time. We all have to pay for food and have a roof above our head, also the people working full time on HWBOT. To pay a legal minimum wage in Belgium, you need approx 30.000 euro revenue a year.

I've been working for +5 year on HWBOT for free, and have invested 50.000 euro to get it up to a professional level. I don't mind that. Our business plan is to have manufacturers pay for the advertising and competitions they hold on HWBOT, and the business plan has proven to be sufficient to cover running costs. My goal is not to become rich with HWBOT (in the contrary, if I would spend my freelance time on other projects I would have earned money instead of loosing it), nor is it the goal of Massman (he would earn more washing dishes) or the rest of the crew (doing it completely free). What does hurt us a lot, is that everytime we make a revision change suggestion we get labeled as money hungry corporate sell outs. : / For f*ck sake, we work hard and are widely used, don't we deserve a minimal income? Do you think hosting companies, designers, accountants, coders, etc all work for free?

That said, I strongly believe HWBOT should remain free for members. Our business plan is to have manufacturers pay for advertising and use of HWBOT, not the members. It has worked pretty well, and see no reason to change as long as manufacturers do not ask us to "bend over".

I voted 50.000 euro, as that's what I've spent so far.

• Administrators

I would have no problem in paying 10 bucks, maybe 20 a year-I appreciate your work here, know it costs a lot of time and server costs won´t be cheap as well- and looking at curious results like I saw recently here costs a lot of time and needs manpower- I don´t think we can have all of that for nothing;)- who really cares about this platform will be willing to pay a fair amount

I can lower running cost by +- 2000 euro a year once our contract with the current hosting company ends, but this does not have a major impact on the total running cost.

Fact is that if you want to run such a site seriously, you can not do it in spare time. We all have to pay for food and have a roof above our head, also the people working full time on HWBOT. To pay a legal minimum wage in Belgium, you need approx 30.000 euro revenue a year.

I've been working for +5 year on HWBOT for free, and have invested 50.000 euro to get it up to a professional level. I don't mind that. Our business plan is to have manufacturers pay for the advertising and competitions they hold on HWBOT, and the business plan has proven to be sufficient to cover running costs. My goal is not to become rich with HWBOT (in the contrary, if I would spend my freelance time on other projects I would have earned money instead of loosing it), nor is it the goal of Massman (he would earn more washing dishes) or the rest of the crew (doing it completely free). What does hurt us a lot, is that everytime we make a revision change suggestion we get labeled as money hungry corporate sell outs. : / For f*ck sake, we work hard and are widely used, don't we deserve a minimal income? Do you think hosting companies, designers, accountants, coders, etc all work for free?

That said, I strongly believe HWBOT should remain free for members. Our business plan is to have manufacturers pay for advertising and use of HWBOT, not the members. It has worked pretty well, and see no reason to change as long as manufacturers do not ask us to "bend over".

I think people should read this post from Frederik with a thought. Thanks for posting this!

• Administrators

@SF3D I read this post and I understand it- but I also read and understood that one of the main reasons for killing the team-ranking( I cannot see this otherwise with the new paln) is the lack of manpower to look at results and discover cheats like hardwaresharing- of course I´d like to stay HWBot a free platform but if the money for better control is needed and the team ranking stays as it is now, encouraging a lot of small benchers to become part of teams and/or stay at the bot I would accept this- compared to the money spent for hardware by the members the 10 or 20 bucks would be less than peanuts;)

I think people should read this post from Frederik with a thought. Thanks for posting this!

Sounds like a plan, companies earn a sh!t load of money advertising in here, because they could sponsor somebody and sell 200,000 products using his name...

So if richba5tard raises the partnership cost we'll all be happy.

He'll hopefully have enough money and we won't have to pay anything.

I'm on for people donating money, but not everyone has PayPal or even a debit/credit card.

FYI.

HWBOT tries to also involved new projects like the Unigine benchmark. All the time that goes into that kind of project also costs time and money. Even if we manage to get break-even with membership fees, which is highely unlikely, we'd still have no budget to take on other projects.

Thanks for this statement!

Maybe you should have written this at the first posting of rev4. Think that a lot of ppl wouldn't post such sad comments then :/

Keep on the good work!

FYI.

HWBOT tries to also involved new projects like the Unigine benchmark. All the time that goes into that kind of project also costs time and money. Even if we manage to get break-even with membership fees, which is highely unlikely, we'd still have no budget to take on other projects.

Well I am not advocating a solely user-base supported revenue stream. I think you should get revenue from the manufactureres too who sponsor contests and use the database as a internal tool. Also get money from the advertisers.

Also perhaps ask the community for a few extra volunteers to police the submissions and deal with reported scores. Even a few extra hands could help relieve the workload and free up massman to pursue better issues. The score moderation could be done completely by knowledgable volunteers I think. Let mass man who is being paid work on other things that volunteers would not have the time to do.

I really do not see an issue with the proposed changes and this seems like knee jerk reaction to what half the people were saying in the rev 4 changes, people do not like change and opinions are like arseholes everyone has them :)

Keep up the good work Massman and hwbot crew :)

________

2007 Lexus Cup Specifications

Edited by uncle fester

The moderating thing is already off my schedule.

The idea of getting user revenue was to get an HWBOT without manufacturer support (as suggested by BazX). Having both would maybe make sense from a pure business point of view, but as Frederik already stated we prefer to leave everything for free for the community.

Then this poll was a complete and utter waste of time...surprise, surprise.

I voted 25, i figure that's probably about $40 or so, which i can do.

Much past that and it starts eating into my dry ice fund, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I think a large part of why people are so up in arms about corporate sponsors is that there have been some excellent examples of sponsors running the business.

Semiaccurate (guess!) and fudzilla (flip side of the semiaccute coin) are excellent examples.

Given those examples i can totally understand why people are afraid of HWB taking on major corporate sponsorship.

I speak for the hwproject team, I voted 200euros because we are roughly 10/20 active members.

We don't have a lot of money but giving 10euros each per year is something we can definitely afford.. maybe more, but I didn't want to shoot too high without being 100% sure :)

• Crew

After thinking and considered , I voted for 25 Euros (my keyboard does not have the symbol E)

It's simple, I care about this site .......... Hwbot :)

@Massman , RB must froze your salary, for the next 3 years :D:D:D:D

chers

:DSw

Edited by Sweet