HWBOT Community Forums

Asrock Z97 OC Formula-PSC

Guest Bullant

Guest Bullant

Really,ill give them a test on cold later and see how they go,I thought you had a good 2000 9-9-9 kit but different to these,the black HS ones,ripjaws of some sort

Guest Bullant

stepping out of my comfort zone here, picked up a secondhand set of sammys

32m pass stability test,no waza and cpu on SS and memory on air..... 2.2v,will test bit more on air then try memory on cold

2wg6s2a.png

This is my second kit ever, i had run on LN2, the first one was g.skill 2200c7 Pi.

The first kit i had run on z87 was capable to run full pot -150°c on the modules.

This one was always 2200c7 Pi, but at -120°c i had some instability to bootup and some random bluescreen. The max stable voltage was 2,20V, impossible push more.

You guys use thermal grease or thermal pad e from memory ic to pot modules?

Edited by RULE

Guest Bullant
This is my second kit ever, i had run on LN2, the first one was g.skill 2200c7 Pi.

The first kit i had run on z87 was capable to run full pot -150°c on the modules.

This one was always 2200c7 Pi, but at -120°c i had some instability to bootup and some random bluescreen. The max stable voltage was 2,20V, impossible push more.

You guys use thermal grease or thermal pad e from memory ic to pot modules?

I use thermal grease when I use EK spreaders,yeah try some cl7 man @ 2600-2666 7-11-7-24 then 7-10-7-24 @ 2.05v to start with,if fail up it to 2.1v,2.15.2.16,2.17.2.18 and so on if it gets worse you know the memory has stopped scaling (Gskill pi some kits can stop scaling @ as little as 2.16v full cold)The 2800mhz can be a problem if you have a weak link,imc,memory or over volting things in bios

Edited by Bullant

• 2 weeks later...

Finally gave in and bought the SF3D EK Inflection and Triple Point Evo kits, keep in mind my first time overclocking was in Oct. of 2014 so I'm fairly new to all of this. Tried two sets with the first being XtremeAddicts old Elpida BDBG HyperX 2133C9 T1 kit and 2 of 6 of my PSC XED Trident 2000 9-9-9-24 1.6v kit bought from a gamer in Canada that were barely used and never above 1.5v . minimal results as the Board shut down after 30 minutes and I wasn't taking any chances on a brand new board and just purchased ram.

9ZzNvSS.jpg

DCY0VDP.jpg

xilX5yE.jpg

ctyGts3.jpg

0FPXSe7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KjmD3so.png

http://i.imgur.com/r2Cc46S.png

http://i.imgur.com/Dl0oIKX.png

http://i.imgur.com/N5peD9J.png

http://i.imgur.com/32CgjSE.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since Im not really sure if I should keep adding fresh dry ice like I was or only at first to bring down temps and then run with the Acetone slush. My board was heavily insulated with 3 layers or Armaflex Tape on the back with Vaseline on ram pins etc. the front had the white kneadable putty, Dieelectric grease in socket some armacell sheets, lots of shop towels etc, but the heatsinks were kept on and the area on edge of board by ram/24 pin was very cold and frozen. I probably need to use Vas/DiElecric grease by 24pin, voltage check points, ram slots?

Guest Bullant

Hmmm,I never use grease in socket that can cause lots of problems,also DONT put grease in the 24 pin,your board may have shut down because the 24 pin had moisture in it.You'll need to just insulate the 24 pin better with cloth or some towel

I normally just vassiline the board front and back but NO vassiline or grease in socket and nothing in ram slots and nothing in 24 pin

I've never used dice so not sure in that

Edited by Bullant

Thanks for the reply, I have cleaned out the socket cause I have been noticing the grease causing contact issues and that was the only spot I had it. I think you are right about either the 24 pin having moisture or maybe even the two 8 pins seemed damp.

I used DI for RAM and CPU on Z97 OCF, I have kneaded eraser around socket covered with paper towel, armaflex and some more towels. For RAM I cover unused slots with electric tape and put paper towels everywhere around EK modules and pot, I never got moisture in 24-pin with that, but I believe that for LN2 it might not be enough.

Hi Jason I use the grase in the ram slots, but a tiny amount, also I put some paper in the unused slot.

Tiny amount of grase also in the 24pin connector.

Im guessing you are referring to dielectric grease and not petroleum jelly? Sorry to hear about your XTU score in Div 2 . I know the run is legit and I also had my 3dmark 06 score blocked but at least you still won, that says something about how you dominated the rest of us, minus Zwitterion but I think his 4690k was pretty jacked up. I never even got to post my real scores, except xtu because of the problems I was having and still finished 5th with scores I did in under an hour of work, so that score of mine being blocked didnt matter to me since it wasnt even done with the card I use. Websmile is a good guy and has helped me out more than anyone else but damn are they being strict compared to the last round

Also do you use Vaseline or armaflex while going cold?

Hmmm,I never use grease in socket that can cause lots of problems,also DONT put grease in the 24 pin,your board may have shut down because the 24 pin had moisture in it.You'll need to just insulate the 24 pin better with cloth or some towel

I normally just vassiline the board front and back but NO vassiline or grease in socket and nothing in ram slots and nothing in 24 pin

I've never used dice so not sure in that

Do you do anything with the mems pcb? Under the heatspreaders like use Vaseline or shop towels stuffed between bottom of HS and pcb ....etc. I guess I'm just worried since none of my friends care about this stuff or computers in general so just learning as I go. I am super excited to try again this week and now am able to get Lin from the same place I get the Dice since they rent 10L dewers cheap when you buy ln2. They ask $80 for the dewer and 10 L of lin but I get half price on dice because of where I work, and to let others in the area know about them since it is the only place around to get Dry Ice or LN2.

Do you guys think $50 for 10L Lin with dewer rental is an ok price because that's what Im aiming for?

Guest Bullant
Do you do anything with the mems pcb? Under the heatspreaders like use Vaseline or shop towels stuffed between bottom of HS and pcb ....etc. I guess I'm just worried since none of my friends care about this stuff or computers in general so just learning as I go. I am super excited to try again this week and now am able to get Lin from the same place I get the Dice since they rent 10L dewers cheap when you buy ln2. They ask $80 for the dewer and 10 L of lin but I get half price on dice because of where I work, and to let others in the area know about them since it is the only place around to get Dry Ice or LN2.

Do you guys think $50 for 10L Lin with dewer rental is an ok price because that's what Im aiming for?

I sometimes vas my memory's just lightly all over,then wipe the gold fingers a little so vas isn't going into the memory slots,I use painters blue tape and tape of the unused memory slots then some paper towel ontop of slots,I have also ran memory cold with no vas on them,I have some DDR4 Kingston memory that I lightly vas the sticks and once I did that I can no longer get twcl9 on that stick no matter what I try cleaning and stuff,Ill never vas a ddr4 stick again but have had no problem with DDR3 .Also I do vas around the 24 pin but not in it

The board you have is very good for cold memory and nick has a 32M profile that sets the whole bios up for 32M to help guys starting out,I would suggest starting at say -100 and some 2600-2666Mhz 7-11-7-24 and get a feel for the board,quite often with people learning cold memory with untested memory they go to cold and when things a quite cold more problems can happen.Keep temps at a manageable temp start low clocks and get a feel.Its better to have some progress with any results that you can learn from and enjoy then something that just doesn't work

You'll need to work out the volts and stuff as well

Well BDBG you have to push to full pot at once :) Those mems need full pot :) Also try to use Bullant's advices. I would also suggest be more careful regarding mounting EK pot, note that you have to remove socket to use EK mounting system, one screw will be too loose and under cold you will lose channels or board would stop booting.

Well BDBG you have to push to full pot at once :) Those mems need full pot :) Also try to use Bullant's advices. I would also suggest be more careful regarding mounting EK pot, note that you have to remove socket to use EK mounting system, one screw will be too loose and under cold you will lose channels or board would stop booting.

Thanks for the reply, my first try with the BDBG HyperX 2133c9 set you sold me was promising considering on air 2400 c8 tWCL 6 tRDRD 4 is as good as I could get. Anything in the 1.8 - 1.85v+ on air made for a tough time and I noticed if I raise wcl to 7 allowed more but I try to stick with 6 when possible. I did remove socket but now know not to clog the pins with Di elec grease as this caused me a major headache! as I couldn't even boot past 67 chipset error and cleaning it out was a B!t@h taking 6 hours over 3 days and going through over 20 paintbrushes getting that bunnyextraction out and freeing up my squished cpu pins.

HyperX Elpida BDBG 2666 c7 11-7-28-1 MaxxMem

http://i.imgur.com/N5peD9J.png

Do any of you use either of the SF3D molex heaters or is that asking for trouble?

Guest Bullant

Yeah mate good to see you removed some of that grease from your socket

Ive never used those heaters mate,nice memory clocks your starting to get there too

Guest Bullant

Couple people have pm about PSC doing 2800Mhz tight on all air,this is a kit of G Skill 2000 cl6 that I picked up awhile ago,have only tested them quickly on LN2 and did seem quite good.Overvolting your memory's and running incorrect volts"imc,ioa,iod" as well as running pass the air scaling dram volts will make a difference to how good your memory's perform ,also in all my current testing on PSC vs Sammy they are totally different volts required in "imc,ioa,iod.This board does seem little stronger on the 125 strap vs the 2800 multi,both will boot and do loops but the 125 does little more,I say if a little cold was on the cpu it prob pass 32m

The current kit of PSC I posted the other day 5Ghz top time is not as good as these memory's on air,only about 2666-2700 kit,so any kits that do 2666Mhz on air are worth trying cold,it will depend on how well they scale with volts

This is all air std HS cpu fan and air memory's,1.91v

i20v9i.png

29bbzb9.png

Edited by Bullant

...also in all my current testing on PSC vs Sammy they are totally different volts required in "imc,ioa,iod"....

Care to share? I know it depends on a lot of factors and I am pretty OK with my air settings for PSC of +0.1/+0.1/+0.15 (+0.2/+0.2/+0.25 on phase), but I'm completely in the dark with Sammies, at least with G3258.

Edited by phobosq

• 2 months later...