HWBOT Community Forums

WR Boints the return ?

Do we bring back WR Boints yes or no?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back WR Boints

• Yes , coz more is better (plz elaborate why you opted for Yes)
    • No, nuff said

• Crew

All recaculations on rankings of hardware and benchmarks have been just completed.

It's looking good, as positions for hardware, global and World Ranking are now correctly being updated. However there are some minor issues spotted in each of the geekbench single core rankings where one sub is not being diplayed, but we are onto that...

Regarding the topic, are the WR points something that you want to see back?

Honestly I don't even recall in which version they got exactly pulled, neither the reason why. Wild guess as the ranking no longer properly worked and Frderik implemented a recalculation lock on subs below rank 200.

Now If we want to bring them back some things we need to consider:

- Do we bring them back for all benchmarks with Global points or do we make a smaller selection for single and multi-threaded benchmarks

- What would be the max points for WRs in 2D and 3D? similar or different boints as in current format?

If it was likely the winners would be at stock, I'd be against it.  However, with overclockable threadripper pro, xeon wx etc and limits on how many threads benchmarks scale up to, there's a possibility we could see some monster OCs on monster chips.  That'd be awesome!

I'd suggest ycruncher 10b, but then, of course I would...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Crew

A WR is the best score of all processors or GPUs

For 3D it is almost indeed similar as globals

For 2D Multithreaded it would mean that eg a 64 core CPU is claiming the WR and maybe get 100 WR Boints iso the global top spot for eg 16x core 12900KS which might only get 25 WR Boints

For 2D single threaded indeed almost similar as globals

Everything depends ofcouse which benchmark we selected for globals and which ones for the WR's or do we give WR points to each benchmark?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

Everything depends ofcouse which benchmark we selected for globals and which ones for the WR's or do we give WR points to each benchmark?

I think for sure no wr pts for single thread benches since their ranking already shows the wr, we'd get the same effect by just giving them more globals for top 10 scores or something. 

For multithread benches I'm OK with all having wr though maybe some people will complain it makes expensive systems too op. Honestly I don't care about their opinions personally though lol. 

For 3d idk, I wouldn't give it to legacy because most of them aren't gpu bound so single card is the fastest config. Similarly on newer stuff multi gpu is being dropped, already for greater than 2 way you need 10 series or older. Soon even 2 way seems to be going away so it may not be long before even on benches that aren't just about cpu oc that we see single card be the fastest. I think at minimum gpupi gets wr pts. 

We should also make a new hardware category called accelerator cards so xeon phi doesn't take the wr pts from cpus on gpupi. Or maybe not, that could be interesting in its own way

3 hours ago, Splave said:

if you have multiple subs worth WR points do you get points for all of them if they are different cpu or core/card count? 

Probably like any other pts where your best one counts. If you get best 8 core score on 12900k you can't get pts for 2nd best 8 core on 12700k. Same for wr, if you get best score overall with 64c and second with 32 you only get wr pts for the 64.

27 minutes ago, Fasttrack said:

I am strongly against it.

Monster workstations and servers getting easy points.

Points that depend on money, not skill.

Can't we leave the damn platform steady and unchanged ?

Unless there are reasons beyond the obvious.

Agreed, but there is solution just for desktop platform WR points.

1 hour ago, Rauf said:

No WR points. Multi GPU 3D is irrelevant at this point (sadly). And 2D is just free points for best CPU in 32M, pifast and free points for the ones with access to server setups.

In general you are right, although I think emergence of ocable platforms that rival server like tr pro and w3175x makes wr pts actually about ocing and not borrowing clients cpu time. And for best results you still need ln2 which you won't run on borrowed system. Maybe wr pts are still bad idea for bot as a whole I just want to see people run ln2 and go hard on these big chips ?