HWBOT Community Forums

Why did you start benching?

choco13

I started because I wanted to get more performance for less cash, by OC'ing the then top-of-the-line dual cores AMD had. I bought an X2 3800+ bulk CPU, aiming for 2.7GHz, but since what I got was a CCBIE 0608BPMW it got much higher:D Then I got two Opteron 180's for cheap on ebay, that I wanted to sell... but I felkt like testing those, too see if they were any good - and when those were gone, I got a sick Opteron 175... and the rest is history:p

One day had a crazy idea and decided to buy mt first computer back in 2006 and within the first month I stumbled across XS. Stumbling across the OC section I asked someone about what Ocing was about they pretty much told me not to bother with it as it would be way too much for me as I was such a big NOOB, as you can see I did not take their advice:D

• 5 months later...

I started when a cool dude (xback) told me that my system (2500+-cheap asrock-512MB-FX5200) could run faster,then i got a NF7-S ...and the ball started rolling.it was clocked at 3200+ speeds in no time,still have that cpu now... (got a 24xx mhz out of it)

Shame i only discovered hwbot very late.

Now i'm trying to get as many results bc i'm really getting addicted to this :P

In 2006 i built a new system with an AMD X2 4600+ (Socket 939) for about 550€ :D , ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and 2x 7800GT. After i booted the first time i thought about running 3DMark06 but the score wasn't as high as i expected. So i started to overclock my GPUs and view days later my CPU =)

• Crew
In 2006 i built a new system with an AMD X2 4600+ (Socket 939) for about 550€ :D , ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and 2x 7800GT. After i booted the first time i thought about running 3DMark06 but the score wasn't as high as i expected. So i started to overclock my GPUs and view days later my CPU =)

wow, that's pretty late. i thought you were overclocking longer. :D

I started benching because I needed something to to with the OC'ed rigs other than game with a couple more FPS. At least when you bench, you can actually see your productivity. It's more gratifying. :)

Same here. Been at it less than a year, wish I found the scene years ago :).

• Crew

i started overcloking in 1996 when i overclocked my 486 dx2-66 to 80mhz. :D

since then i overclocked every system i had.

i started overclocking because i wanted to play games more fluid, but back then even an overcloked 486 was too slow for most modern games. :P

Edited by Turrican

My parents bought me a computer for school work.... just at the time AMD were hitting the GHz mark, I remember. I started playing games- AVP2 ran really slow in the heavy action sequences and my local electronics shop were offering a CPU, board + RAM bundle deal so I jumped on it. It made no difference and I got mad because id spent a lot of money for nowt, so I started learning how PCs worked. I found CustomPC magazine and they had their own benchmark suite and a leaderboard... thats how I discovered the competitive side :) I had a Via chipset A-XP setup, then I moved to Epox NF3 about a week before the first SLI mobos were in shops.. then things spiralled

Started about in 1995-6 (I think) with a AMD k6-2 350 and just wanted to get the best out of Tombraider. Since then played with servers for laughs, Compaq 5000's and ALR rev 6x6's and modding them. Always have clocked to get more but only run benches for the past 3-4 years, but only take it seriously in the last 2 years :)

I Start Overclocking at 2005/06. To beat the boredom i overclock a Geforce 4 or Geforce 6 with the ATI Tool. :-) A little bit later i built a real OC-System with DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D, Opteron 144 and Geforce 6600GT. My first Benchmark was 3DMark06... since 2006 i bench each new System to see how many Points i get. And the real beginning and cause for benching on HWbot was 2009, because Oliver "Fr3ak" starts a call in PC Games Hardware. Now i am out of pocket, because i blow out the Money for a lot of useless hardware. ;-)

Edited by Alriin

Started back in '05...when I found OCN. Actually I found XS 1st but you guys were a little too elite for me then. Umm yeah, it was a socket 462 athlon 2200 and I had a crappy MSI KT4V-L mobo that only let me go up to 1.9ghz. I used to try to run benches with a Asus fx5200 magic 128mb card...llooll!!! soon it became the 1st A64 2800+ and the infamous DFI nf3 250GB and I posted a 2737mhz OC, and people on OCN were crying foul and saying all i had was a SS with CPUZ...that's when I found the rest and just kept it movin.