HWBOT Community Forums

The case of the Lock-16X - What The F?

Massman

Slimy fingers would not result in to 55, so it must be worse contact issue :)

Maybe there is some bad batch of board or something. I think owen trick could be worth of trying too if the pressure does not make any difference.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got code 55 issues on asus board when I tried to use cpu without hs. That way cpu did not make good contact with some certain pins in the socket and I was always stuck at 55 code.

So can some of you 55 guys try your setup without mounting the cooler properly and let it just lay on cpu with it's own weight.

My random guess is, that there might be issues with socket soldering or pcb is just bending too much. But most likely the issue is in the socket area or I can be completely wrong of course.

"55" happens after several reboots. At first its fine. Clock to 5.5ghz and its fine. Its still fine until you get 55 and then it gets stuck. I do one ram stick(i remove the outer channel) and its fine. (but cpu sucks lol)

i don't think its a mounting issue or bending issue.

• Crew

okay so for my "55" its not memory or cpu and before it occured i had 1-2 hours testing with cpu on air cooler at 1.3v and just testing memory timings,

i also tried what Petri was suggested about mount pressure, I tried a couple CPUs with just air cooler sitting on top of them and no mount kit,

I also blasted the socket out with electrical contact cleaner to no avail,

actually before this occured the gd65 was performing brilliantly, memory frequency/timings looked on par with asus/giga, bandwidth looked good and the board just did what it was told, seemed to be the most solid out of the box board i have used from MSI,

Dino I havnt seen 16x on any board, except in server2003 without ME installed..

"55" happens after several reboots. At first its fine. Clock to 5.5ghz and its fine. Its still fine until you get 55 and then it gets stuck. I do one ram stick(i remove the outer channel) and its fine. (but cpu sucks lol)

i don't think its a mounting issue or bending issue.

Ok, then it is some other issue like you said.

I have done a lot of different things with this GD65 and luckily no issues so far. Well, they can come out of nowhere like a lightning :)

But for real GD65 seems to be very solid board and I raise my hat to MSI for it!

OK - i should have shut my mounth and not even mentioned its running fine.

Karma hit back at me and the board got stuck at "55" after a crash caused by GPU instability.

Luckily, i was able to revive it :)

Clearing cmos and switching bios chips obviously didn't work. But then i pulled out the memory modules, and let the mb boot to see if it changes it's mind and gives me another answer than "55". And yes it did! .. now got stuck on "20" which is normal i guess without any system memory.

Then just put back memory and booted into bios. Did some testing and everything works bar memory timings. The board just seemed to forget them no mather what. Luckily, reflashing the bios solved it.

Now back to benching...

make sure that you also have the correct Management Engine Firmware with your BIOS, you can't go switching around BIOS'es without making sure the correct MEFW is also installed.

incompatible (old) ME FW with a new bios will result in things like the 39x multiplier issue.

For me it still gives 55 after taking off memorys. I got my cpu work with maximus again, dont know why it first did 55 too, but when i cleared cmos, changed memory and booted i was able to go bios and now it works normal.

Tryed GD65 with 2500k too but no change. Tryed without mounting cooler, put it loose and tightened and still no go with old bios or newer one.

so how to update ME firmware in BIOS?

mine version in bios is 8.0.1.1399 and with bios 10.2 , 10.5 and A2 only 3 official bios on MSI site it doesn't work, still stuck at 39x

As I know update ME firmware is automatic with update bios, or am I wrong?

Edited by Perica_barii

M5G back to normal life after 2 days here( multi problem ) but now i have the sae problem i had on gd65 days a go, i cant boot over 2133 memories i have code 55, tried another cpu, another memories, changing slots, i can easy boot at 2100 but no way 2133 and over, same cpu did 2800 on other board.

I thought I was the only one. I set 50x100 speedstep disabled cpuz show 35x100

mem shows fine in cpuz 2400 and my set timings. its just the multi that is screwed. not just that but the whole time ive had the board my 32m timings are 6.28

I have dudes on 3570 pulling 6.23 on me and dont say its spi tweaks. my os is stripped down, waza, maxmem, large cache etc. i should be pulling sub 6.20 32m at my settings. its not. this board has been screwed from the start.

mvg is going back.

Edited by trans am