HWBOT Community Forums

The official MSI MOA 2013

[DRACO]

People you really want to do OC Contests totally unfriendly by crazy rules and stop ocers to participate?

RULES MUST BE CLEAR, UNDERSTANDABLE AND AS FAIR AS THEY CAN

You have to realize that OCers (most of us) work or study, we have private lives, we don't have possibility to spend all time for contests. Most of us plan taking part in big contests like MOA or AOOC or LOC, some of working guys specially for this occasion take free days at work and so on. Other matter is hw availability. Sometimes we have to import some hw from abroad to take part cause in many countries some parts are not available, or even buying handpicked hw, it's impossible to buy golden samples from the same overclocker, or few in the same country ;) Shipping takes time, the same - customs. Moreover, not everyone has 24/7 LN2, some of us only can refill dewars in certain days or simply sometimes wait until there is fresh delivery, because ln2 is over and sometimes it takes few weeks... And LN2 also cost and most contests aren't on the hw which ocers want to overclock (I mean combination - most of OCers use MSI Lightnings + Asus board), especially some stages of older HW. Results are mostly made only for contest. Now imagine - someone buys hw, buys LN2, has just got great scores and want to publish them but the concept of OC contest was "after 3 weeks it will be shut down randomly" and it appears it was shut down 5 minutes before...

The concept which proposed Franscisco is interesting though, if developed properly, it could be fun to take part in such contest.

BTW, why OCers don't like sandbagging? In fact it makes the game harder, and I think we are serious players. During contests sometimes we are going to do big sacrifices, crazy mods, things to score a bit better, tweak OS as hell and so on, cause "someone can have high backup" ;). Moreover, last hours and minutes of big events are interesting a lot :)

If HWBOT or Vendors don't want to have sandbagging, simply prepare weekly prizes for highest scores or something which will want us to show best scores ;) In some contests elimination time (like MOA 2012) also shows who can and will participate, but it has to be in reasonable time frames.

I am getting back to benching right now, I hope I won't zorch any MSI :D Today I got my X79A-GD65 finally. If I hadn't repaired Xpower II (with help of friends) earlier, today, would be the first they to do scores for some stages for me :D

I agree with you brother,

Here ln2 be quite expensive, and sometimes is a bit difficult to find hardware when many months ago and no longer for sale.

I have had many problems with the cpu, 3960X C1 rectail not work with any msi x79 motherboard, because the microcode is not added.

I bought at the end GD45 PLUS 3960X X79 for my c1 to work with MSI boards.

I have also had very bad luck because I have been burned a lot of material in my town is so hot now and I live near the beach so I have very high humidity.

Hardware tested:

MSI X79 XPOWER2 DEAD

MSI X79 GD45 GOOD PLUS

MSI Z77 GD80 DEAD

MSI 7970 OC DEAD

I7 3770K @ 6930MHZ DEAD

If you've been unlucky but asin is life.

I hope all this may do some hardware loss.

I have tried many neither 7970 1550core passes.

luck to all

pardon my English, is through still translator and does not always mean the same thing in a language

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People you really want to do OC Contests totally unfriendly by crazy rules and stop ocers to participate?

RULES MUST BE CLEAR, UNDERSTANDABLE AND AS FAIR AS THEY CAN

You have to realize that OCers (most of us) work or study, we have private lives, we don't have possibility to spend all time for contests. Most of us plan taking part in big contests like MOA or AOOC or LOC, some of working guys specially for this occasion take free days at work and so on. Other matter is hw availability. Sometimes we have to import some hw from abroad to take part cause in many countries some parts are not available, or even buying handpicked hw, it's impossible to buy golden samples from the same overclocker, or few in the same country ;) Shipping takes time, the same - customs. Moreover, not everyone has 24/7 LN2, some of us only can refill dewars in certain days or simply sometimes wait until there is fresh delivery, because ln2 is over and sometimes it takes few weeks... And LN2 also cost and most contests aren't on the hw which ocers want to overclock (I mean combination - most of OCers use MSI Lightnings + Asus board), especially some stages of older HW. Results are mostly made only for contest. Now imagine - someone buys hw, buys LN2, has just got great scores and want to publish them but the concept of OC contest was "after 3 weeks it will be shut down randomly" and it appears it was shut down 5 minutes before...

The concept which proposed Franscisco is interesting though, if developed properly, it could be fun to take part in such contest.

BTW, why OCers don't like sandbagging? In fact it makes the game harder, and I think we are serious players. During contests sometimes we are going to do big sacrifices, crazy mods, things to score a bit better, tweak OS as hell and so on, cause "someone can have high backup" ;). Moreover, last hours and minutes of big events are interesting a lot :)

If HWBOT or Vendors don't want to have sandbagging, simply prepare weekly prizes for highest scores or something which will want us to show best scores ;) In some contests elimination time (like MOA 2012) also shows who can and will participate, but it has to be in reasonable time frames.

I am getting back to benching right now, I hope I won't zorch any MSI :D Today I got my X79A-GD65 finally. If I hadn't repaired Xpower II (with help of friends) earlier, today, would be the first they to do scores for some stages for me :D

Very nice post, aptly sums up all the problems atleast I face. For many sandbagging maybe a problem (is it really?) and for many, participation itself is a big deal.

My 7970 Lightning is dead, without even taking an air score, :(. Just hoping RMA goes smooth.

Okay, be careful MOA participants:

My benching...

I am booting OS -100*C

5500 MHz @ 1.6v (my Golden 3770K)

I opened CPU-Z, SPI 32M, voltages measured by Digital Multimeters

I am cooling down MSI Mpower Z77

I cooled it down to -180*C

DMM showed that board gave 2.01v on CPU and board rebooted and FF

I was only cooling down the board...

Just because it's you my friend :D ...yeah! Who was pointing the same awefull bug just before? Hope there will be no incident :S

It was me that this happened to. I was messing around with my 3770K at ~1.70V on the MSI Z77A-GD65. I open up CPU-Z and it shows 2.3V (or something like that) and board immediately turns off, there's a bit of burnt electronics smell, and then dead chip and board.

Sounds like there's a definite bug in all of this...

It was me that this happened to. I was messing around with my 3770K at ~1.70V on the MSI Z77A-GD65. I open up CPU-Z and it shows 2.3V (or something like that) and board immediately turns off, there's a bit of burnt electronics smell, and then dead chip and board.

Sounds like there's a definite bug in all of this...

ami just happened to me,

I was in windows 5200mhz 2666mem -150 1.5vt burning smell

and cpu died.

• Crew

guys i don't think anyone is against sandbagging, just wanna know who is in the comp. maybe a registration period is all that is needed, not even submit score but "register" for the competition before a certain time.

Im using the GD-65 gaming now and its lovely, its alot faster than the GD-65 and much more stable on the volts. I dont know how they did it because its the same PCB but there definitely is a difference :)

4hour to reach 1400Mhz on 7970L, try 12.11, 13.4, 13.6,change powersupply, change bios... can't find any solution on Xpoxer II. Finaly put the VGA on GD65 and 1640Mhz very easily. make some run @1670, but score was not good. I don't know what's happend. To bad VGA RAM not good, but GPU is very strong.

Now MB won't boot, don't make 32M yet. Time to put all the stuff in the oven :).