HWBOT Community Forums

Another Xtreme Legend quits the game ... OFFICIAL Sampsa Memorial Thread

Massman

Hehe, thanks everyone for your kind words but this seriously isn't any kind of news but just a prank by massman, well deserved though :)

Nothing special or drama involved in my case, overclocking and extreme-overclocking has been a hobby for me past +10 years together with writing hardware news & articles. It also turned from hobby into a full time job in 2000 and in the past good 3DMark scores and WRs were a good way for me as an editor to build up good relationships to manufacturers to help my job. A lot has happened during these 10 years from simple Celeron 300A & Abit BH-6 combo to 6-core CPUs & 4-Way SLI/CFX configurations and it has been an interesting journey to follow how manufacturers have adapted this hobby to one of their key features in product development and marketing.

The passion I had for pushing CPUs and GPUs higher and higher with all different kind of cooling methods (air, water, peltier, compressors, dry ice, liquid nitrogen & liquid helium) during these years is unfortunately just no longer there. Aiming for top spots in benchmarks can be addictive and exhausting. You keep thinking about the last bench session, what could be improved and how much more and worrying about how to match the parts other people have.

Not to mention endless loop with constant product launches which make current results insignificant during one night and recent "problems" in the scene with manufacturer support with cherry picked ES parts the majority won't even have chance to get hands on. Like in every competitive "sports" unfortunately also overclocking includes nowadays too much drama, personal disagreements and even cheating. Even though hwbot have done a great job with rules and guidelines, there are still many loopholes and just your conscience to decide what is right and wrong.

I've been lucky enough to meet most of the known overclockers in several live events around the world and it has been a pleasure to put a face to name. Especially the live overclocking competitions can be very exciting when properly organized and this is still one area which I might be interested of.

I've recently found the same passion I once had for overclocking from golf. It made me realize that a hobby should be something which I do for my own fun, feel happy about it and my mind is relaxed while playing. I also got married earlier this year and if everything goes well we have a second generation overclocker coming up in April. Anyway I'll be following the overclocking scene closely even though not being active myself. Good luck to everyone and enjoy your hobby :)

Regards,

Sampsa

---

Couple overclocking pics from archives:

Slot A Athlon 800 MHz @ 1185 MHz with single stage compressor:

01.jpg

01_2.jpg

02.jpg

TurboPLL on MSI 6163 motherboard to raise FSB with crystals

03.gif

AMD Athlon 1400 @ 2187 MHz with LN2 in 2001:

04.jpg

07.jpg

Straight 3,3V line from ATX connector to PWM

07_2.gif

Pentium 4 2,2 GHz @ 3,63 GHz and Spi1M:

nw2200_01.jpg

nw2200_03.gif

One of the first LN2 cooled VGA (GeForce 4 Ti4600) in 2002:

ti4600_01.jpg

Radeon 9700 Pro under LN2 later same year:

r9700_01.jpg

r9700_02.jpg

r9700_03.jpg

ATI Radeon X800 XT PE with (first ever?) solid copper LN2 vga pot by Kamu in 2003:

14.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

---

Last but not least, macci & me visiting Futuremark 10 years ago :)

macci_sampsa.jpg

Edited by Sampsa

I've recently found the same passion I once had for overclocking from golf. It made me realize that a hobby should be something which I do for my own fun, feel happy about it and my mind is relaxed while playing. I also got married earlier this year and if everything goes well we have a second generation overclocker coming up in April. Anyway I'll be following the overclocking scene closely even though not being active myself. Good luck to everyone and enjoy your hobby :)

Haha, in a couple of years, your kids (ones from others also) would be proud to tell that their father is a WR owner at school. :D

The passion I had for pushing CPUs and GPUs higher and higher with all different kind of cooling methods (air, water, peltier, compressors, dry ice, liquid nitrogen & liquid helium) during these years is unfortunately just no longer there. Aiming for top spots in benchmarks can be addictive and exhausting. You keep thinking about the last bench session, what could be improved and how much more and worrying about how to match the parts other people have.

Not to mention endless loop with constant product launches which make current results insignificant during one night and recent "problems" in the scene with manufacturer support with cherry picked ES parts the majority won't even have chance to get hands on. Like in every competitive "sports" unfortunately also overclocking includes nowadays too much drama, personal disagreements and even cheating.

this is sad man thats all I can say. You need to forget about everyone except yourself and start over. Make a new avatar username and come back discreetly. You have gone through my worst nightmare. this the exact reason why I would never want my hobby to become work. people always tell me why I dont have a side business of repairing computers or IT job. I always roll my eyes because if it became a job it would no longer be fun and I would have to start playing golf like you are doing to get away from what i thought was fun. I can think of so many others like you that have been around for years and just got burned out on a passion they never thought they would lose interest in and just folded their cards. If I were you I wouldn't sell everything just yet. hold onto your containers and dewar and a couple old boards and cpu's and best ram because sooner or later you will find out you were a much better overclocker than you are as a golfer. once you reach that point I want you to create a new forum / oc team designated for just the old dogs. You round up some of the old veterans, first mission is convincing oppainter to join the new forum. Once the old dogs see you and oppainter have a new oc team the other guys with the same woes as you will be begging to pass the initiation so they can be in. there will be some simple rules to join. absolutely no sponsors, no reviews, must be ocing at least 10 years. just some ideas...

Dont feel guilty about leaving Sampsa. We all understand. just take a break and come back when you are ready and its all brand new and exciting again. we'll keep the light on for you. ;)

It's a shame to see you leave Sampsa.

It was a priviledge to bench with you in person at CES.

Chew, he's burned out so bad it blows my mind. How the hell he let it get so out of control he ended up hating what he loved. Chew, I know you do reviews and are one of the better benchers out there. dont let this happen to you. quit everything you are working on and send all your review samples back ASAP and tell them you dont want to end up like Sampsa. they will understand.

Edited by trans am

• Crew

Was nice seing you again in Taipei few days ago !

Hobby come and pass, 10 year is usually the maximum time people are doing Ocing before movign to something else !

Wish you the best for your familly life and new hobby, BTW you'll still be around that's a good news !

macci_sampsa.jpg

I've one of those and still in the plastic cover ^^

Chew, he's burned out so bad it blows my mind. How the hell he let it get so out of control he ended up hating what he loved. Chew, I know you do reviews and are one of the better benchers out there. dont let this happen to you. quit everything you are working on and send all your review samples back ASAP and tell them you dont want to end up like Sampsa. they will understand.
Is this the drama Sampa is talking about? :D

Love the old skool hardware pics Sampsa (^_^)b

It made me remember that about 5 years ago that I first started overclocking with dry ice, putting my old Duron 650Mhz to 1100Mhz, and killed it 2 hours later :D

* Come to think of it, it's the guys at XS that made me start doing these 'madness' :) *

It's good that I had a chance to meet you in MOA 2009 & 2010,

Good Luck with whatever you'll be doing in the future, your name will always be remembered by us overclockers,

Regards,

• 2 months later...