HWBOT Community Forums

#bendlake : Skylake delid PCBs bending?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case I really do think CPU bent a little bit more session after session by heating it up too much. I didn't think 60°C XTU could do any damage since it's below operating temperature I get at 4.8G aircooling for that bench. At least I could finish guide but "thermal shock" was probably too much :( Hopefully I have better air CPUs that "might" scale on cold...

Edited by pepinorang

My chip bent during delid only one corner, it was resulting in mem issues, reseated it and then it never happened again. I have since used chip in a different board and unmounted several times No issue occured since. I think I had to get all the remant of the old silicon off or something. But like someone already said the lid should straighten it out when you mount it. I would suggest trying again before calling it dead too.

I think I only bent one corner though where the silicon was really hard to get off

I used .009" thick http://www.stanleytools.com/en-US/products/hand-tools/knives-blades/replacement-blades/100-pk-112-in-single-edge-razor-blades/11-515

Those double edged razors you all suggest.. how could you even get a grip on them without cutting off your fingers?

honestly if I get anymore cpus with lids I will just send them out to silicon lottery. 50$ and I won't have to worry about killing 400Euro + chips

I hope they do a SKY LAKE CANYON

a sky lake in a canyon.

Edited by Random

you can use a heatgun and bend it back no problem if it bends

Also vivi has the right idea but I use scraper razor blades they have a blunt side.

1365267089_razor-blades-470b-0908.jpg

Seems better if you dont push hard just get the corners loose first then little by little on the sides. :D my 2 cents

I have 25+ under my belt without death.

Also vivi has the right idea but I use scraper razor blades they have a blunt side.

Seems better if you dont push hard just get the corners loose first then little by little on the sides. :D my 2 cents

Thanks for the tip Splave dad! I bent back CPU with heatgun and it's ALIVE again! :D I guess some pins were not touching CPU anymore causing 00 post code :)

Edited by pepinorang

• Crew

i prefer people cutting themselves ;)

haha good tip yes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest george.kokovinis

Not such a big deal finally, if someone is a bit more careful.

Hitting 85 with a simple Corsair H100i in WPrime1024m with 1.4V at 4.7ghz,

I was more than concerned.

Used Coolaboratory liquid ultra and the results were at least amazing.

Now at 4.8ghz with 1.43V, I merely touch 68-69.

The spread between cores was 15 degrees. Now it is down to 6.

It is a delicate little thing and it must be treated with some extra care.