HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Maximus XII Apex

@GtiJason What I posted about Flashback not updating the microcode was on a z590 Apex. It may work on z490, I have a z490 Apex but never paid attention. I just happened to notice it with the z590 Apex. Unless someone else posted about z490 not updating the microcode using Flashback then disregard what I said ;) 

Edit I just tested using Flashback on z490 Apex and it does update the microcode. I was on 2103 MC E2 and used Flashback with bios 403 and it changed MC to E0. So maybe it is just a bug with z590 Apex or it may depend if 11 gen CPU is installed. I currently have 10700k in z490 Apex.

When I had the issue in z590 Apex and Flashback not updating the MC I had 11900k installed. I am not going to remove the 11900k to test with 10700k in the z590 Asus can figure it out if they want.

Edited by bscool
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bscool said:

hen I had the issue in z590 Apex and Flashback not updating the MC I had 11900k installed. I am not going to remove the 11900k to test with 10700k in the z590 Asus can figure it out if they want.

I hear you man, not a huge deal for me but trying to get as much info out as possible so a solution might be found from the gathered knowledge or like you said Asus looks into it. The only problem I have is the board was in process of becoming an LN2 bencher and kinda sucks not being able to switch between bios 1 and 2

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skullbringer said:

Has anyone managed to get DR B-Die Running above DDR4-4400 on the M12A? 

Seems like I am hitting a hard wall there, no matter which bios version or settings

Are you running cml or rkl? I have gotten up to 4800cl14 on DR b-die into OS on cml. Rkl doesnt seem as capable with DR.

50 minutes ago, Midnight703 said:

Are you running cml or rkl? I have gotten up to 4800cl14 on DR b-die into OS on cml. Rkl doesnt seem as capable with DR.

yeah rkl, sorry should have mentioned. 

think the m13a does a lot better, but the m12a doesn't seem to have that optimization yet for dr b-die. 

On 4/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, GTI-R said:

Help me
I changed 0098 to CAP name M12A and flashed back, but it did not start.
Are you making a mistake?
Did the BIOS get corrupted?
CPU is 11600KF

I have same issue

Are you have the way to make 1st bios work ?

For those that cannot get one of the bios to flash and they board acts like it is bricked/dead. Try removing everything. CPU, RAM, SSD, NVME etc. Just the MB and PSU then try flashback.

I cant remember it I posted it here already. This worked for me(z490 Unify/11900k) and someone I suggested it to on another site(z590 Hero/11900k).

Edited by bscool

12 hours ago, bscool said:

For those that cannot get one of the bios to flash and they board acts like it is bricked/dead. Try removing everything. CPU, RAM, SSD, NVME etc. Just the MB and PSU then try flashback.

I cant remember it I posted it here already. This worked for me(z490 Unify/11900k) and someone I suggested it to on another site(z590 Hero/11900k).

It didn't work for me, tried without cpu, with cpu, and multiple bios versions. BIOS flashback appears to be working correctly but the board stays bricked. The second BIOS works fine.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, julienricqrt said:

It didn't work for me, tried without cpu, with cpu, and multiple bios versions. BIOS flashback appears to be working correctly but the board stays bricked. The second BIOS works fine.

Same with me.
When I select 1st bios and push start buttom. mobo not respond.
But 2nd bios work fine.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, GTI-R said:

Help me
I changed 0098 to CAP name M12A and flashed back, but it did not start.
Are you making a mistake?
Did the BIOS get corrupted?
CPU is 11600KF

Same issue here.
Even tried to use EVC to fix that, but nothing changed... ?

Doesn't the M12A have two separate ME chips (corresponding to the main and backup bioses the chips are linked to) that can be force flashed by the EVC2 device with the ME firmware?  They are separate from the BIOS chips.  Just do a "read" on the chips and check the file size then you will know.

3 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Doesn't the M12A have two separate ME chips (corresponding to the main and backup bioses the chips are linked to) that can be force flashed by the EVC2 device with the ME firmware?  They are separate from the BIOS chips.  Just do a "read" on the chips and check the file size then you will know.

Yes it does.

I got my first bios working again flashing this chip with an EVC2SX.

Here is the link to the SPI header's pinout, but the EVC2SX uses 2,54mm pitch, while the asus header uses 2.0mm pitch. but nothing a bit of DIY can't fix :D

SPI-header pinouts – Forum – ElmorLabs

A big thanks to Elmor for being patient and helping me out with this on his Discord server ❤️ 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

It does, but to flash with EVC2 or similar device, you have to use the Bios Select jumper to select which chip to flash; it's the three pins right below the SPI interface.

https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2020/05/09075149830l.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/5/19 at 午前9時54分, sabishiihito said:

ありますが、EVC2または同様のデバイスでフラッシュするには、BIOSSelectジャンパーを使用してフラッシュするチップを選択する必要があります。SPIインターフェースのすぐ下にある3つのピンです。

https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2020/05/09075149830l.JPG

This explanation alone is difficult to understand
Did you all have the same symptoms?

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on a brand new bios for Apex 12 support for Rocketlake cpus ? Last bios was release 2 months ago and is the one having trouble and bricking bios chips. Also i would like to know if using rkl cpus on Apex 12 will use pci express 4.0 ? There is no information about this anywhere ...

I think the people that had issue had the 11th gen CPU installed in z490 MB before updating the bios.

I updated the bios before installing the 11th gen CPU(had 10th gen CPU installed). I think if you do that you should be ok.

Correct me if I am wrong. I don't remembering seeing anyone have issues updating the bios using a 10th gen CPU and then putting and 11th gen CPU in.

Edited by bscool
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bscool said:

I think the people that had issue had the 11th gen CPU installed in z490 MB before updating the bios.

I updated the bios before installing the 11th gen CPU(had 10th gen CPU installed). I think if you do that you should be ok.

Correct me if I am wrong. I don't remembering seeing anyone have issues updating the bios using a 10th gen CPU and then putting and 11th gen CPU in.

exactly

• Like 1