HWBOT Community Forums

Proposed functionality: people who do not participate in the hwboints league

richba5tard

How should we solve people who do not want to participate to the hwbo(in)t league?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How should we solve people who do not want to participate to the hwbo(in)t league?

• no global/team/country rank for user, but rank for submission and team
    • no rank global/team/country rank for user, submission or team + add WR page
    • none of the above

Recently a feature has been requested, for which we would like the opinion of the oc community in order to implement it as wanted.

Some people would not like to participate the hwboint league, but do want to submit their scores to hwbot in order to get the official hwbot "world record". Eg. when an overclocker is sponsered by a hardware manufacturer, he can feel guilty because he gets much of his expensive hardware for free, making it easier to rule the hwbot rankings.

We understand this issue, but the hwbot team can not agree on how we should solve this.

The proposed solutions are:

A user which has chosen not to participate to the hwbot league should:

A) have identical profile functionality, his scores will receive points, his team will receive his points, but his profile will not receive a global/country/team rank: eg. he will not be ranked globally, in his country, or in his team.

versus:

B) will have a public profile without awards/points. His submissions will only be shown in his profile and by using the search function.

A "World rankings" page will be added which will show the top 20 of each benchmark application (without showing points), people who do not participate in the hwbot league will be included here, but only here.

The dev team has preference for the first option, as it can be implemented in less time, with cleaner code.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in all honesty and irony too (since Im lotek myself), I dont think funding should really matter, it takes skill either way and also such said person did work on getting that funding somehow, I say a WR is a WR and should get points

also imo this will divide hwbot and thats not good

just a thought

in fact, current HWboint keeps some people away; who want to post one high score, but don't want to be ranked globally ;)

oh, well that sure sux

Id say in that case plan B makes most sense or say plan C, which would allow for non-profile based submissions only for the WR page, that should make sense in a way, WRs only, no points, no rankings

just thinking out loud :)

I voted none of the above. I think that hwbot should be the central repository for all benchmark scores and as such if somebody wants recognition they should post their score. Why would someone not post a score because that score is then ranked? Makes no sense to me.

I say leave it as it is and if a killer score is not on hwbot, then it shouldn't be recognised until it is on the bot.

my 2¢

Cheers

I voted none of the above. I think that hwbot should be the central repository for all benchmark scores and as such if somebody wants recognition they should post their score. Why would someone not post a score because that score is then ranked? Makes no sense to me.

I say leave it as it is and if a killer score is not on hwbot, then it shouldn't be recognised until it is on the bot.

my 2¢

Cheers

I voted the same, i can't think of a good reason to do this at all?

It's a great idea, especially with hwbots growing popularity. It could encourage those who don't participate in the league to post their respective top scores to the bot. Thats only one of a few reasons.

For me personally, I most likely will pull out of the league as soon as/if this feature is implemented. I have nothing to prove by staying in it anymore and making life really difficult for some other guys ;).

I don't have the time to bench all this other stuff anymore, but will continue to post 3d results on the web in some benchmarks like always. If I'm not part of the leaugue, what is the point in posting scores here then? Just to screw up someone elses points race over the next guy? See what I mean?

Certain manufacturer marketing of late has really dissapointed me, and it's completely sending the wrong message and turning guys away. I don't want to be lumped in or associated with this stuff. This is my way of conceding something in a sense and hopefully sending a message. I don't need pre-release HW for a world record btw. We all know who these guys are, same every HW cycle. These scores start popping up on the bot before HW is available to the public. I hope some of these guys will follow my lead. If not, then they are open and deserving to the criticism they recieve. My relationship with certain manuf won't ever change and I will still bench as hard as ever in some things, dont want this to be viewed as me getting some sort of an edge ever.

This is also a way to deal with scores achieved at live demos done by multiple benchers on the same rig. The points really dont count towards anything, so it doesnt give this guy or that guy an advantage as an individual in the points leauge.

discuss...

Vince- There is always another side of the story. You are number one now, but like you said, you will not have time to bench all benchmarks in the future. So eventually you would loose your position which you have held very long time. You can't take it? I know you can, but why would you leave the race.

It would be a shame if few of the top guys pull their ranking/points off.. I will not do it, but does my ranking tell anything anymore in that case. Answer is no. So my benching will become meaningless if all other recent top 10 guys would disappear.

All those guys who will not participate in to this "race" are kind of silly if you ask me. Reasons they give are more and less reasonable for me. Some reasons are cultural and some are moral etc.

Come on..let's continue like before. This idea of HWpoints and overclocker league have done more good than bad. If there is 16 000 happy users and few top bechers who is not happy and not participating, so what? It is totally their personal problem.

If this place will become a world record database without the competition with points.. do we need it at all after that? I though this idea was the base of the whole site.

Thanks k|ngp|n, I understand a bit more now. :)

Your after an additional area for unreleased samples and early submissions to even the field a bit?

Then if/when the part gets released it would be the members option to move that run into the league area?

So if someone is given access to a new chip 3 months early, they run the benches and submit to it. The area is open to all comers and farther submission is up to the member. At the same time the mod's have a chance to check and make sure the benched part is equal to the final release and they would have final approval pending on it being equal and the members wish to submit?