HWBOT Community Forums

REV4 up and running! Questions, suggestions, feedback goes in here

Massman

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it depends how you're separating the leagues. Above zero C and below zero C? Or ambient and below ambient? The ambient way gives a distinct advantage to our Nordic neighbours.

How about if I flood the room with a few air conditioners - if I do that however, does that also count as phase change cooling? There needs to be a distinct ruling on the severity of how it is cooled. You're not going to get liquid water below zero without some severe atmospheric pressure change, so in my mind as long as it is water cooling the CPU, then it's still classed 'enthusiast'.

Guest Ximi
Well it depends how you're separating the leagues. Above zero C and below zero C? Or ambient and below ambient? The ambient way gives a distinct advantage to our Nordic neighbours.

How about if I flood the room with a few air conditioners - if I do that however, does that also count as phase change cooling? There needs to be a distinct ruling on the severity of how it is cooled. You're not going to get liquid water below zero without some severe atmospheric pressure change, so in my mind as long as it is water cooling the CPU, then it's still classed 'enthusiast'.

+1

I live on Spain at Mediterranean East , and here it's hot hot and the water cooling is diferent from Nordic users.

used some sort of alcohol I think it was. Still water cooled:D

Perhaps you worded that incorrectly, but Alcohol != water. CH3COOH != H2O. With that logic I could use cooled acetone, which has a melting point at around -78C. Alcohols are just other chemicals, like phase changing gases are other chemicals.

Blends of miscible liquids are a different thing to consider, which I think is what you're on about. Mixing water with ethanol produces different freezing temperatures: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html

Question is, what % water comes under 'water cooling'? >99%? There's no way to prove. However, the amount of people who would go to those lengths without going DICE/SS/LN2 will be minuscule.

Make a choice and you'll see how the community responds.

In my opinion, the enthusiast league is a league for those who are interested in hardware, but do not go extra lengths to improve their score. It's not a league 'of cooling', but a league 'of intention'. Imho, everyone who's voltmodding their card, everyone who's considering fiddling with the temperature is already being extreme about overclocking.

Perhaps you worded that incorrectly, but Alcohol != water. CH3COOH != H2O. With that logic I could use cooled acetone, which has a melting point at around -78C. Alcohols are just other chemicals, like phase changing gases are other chemicals.

Blends of miscible liquids are a different thing to consider, which I think is what you're on about. Mixing water with ethanol produces different freezing temperatures: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html

Question is, what % water comes under 'water cooling'? >99%? There's no way to prove. However, the amount of people who would go to those lengths without going DICE/SS/LN2 will be minuscule.

But if I use some sort of mix, it's still water, to some degree. People use all sorts of additives anyway...

• Crew

Then you can start to discuss the users that use an Airco to get them little mhz extra out of their GPUs. Pretty hard to prove if they used it or not... plus it uses a compressor too doesn't it :P

A phase change unit is a phase change unit, a watercooling loop at no matter which liquid temps is a watercooled loop... how many will use chilled water ? How many will change the fluid to the special ones that work well beyond sub zero...

Plus if you want to be on top you know what to use...

Defining sub and positive temps ain't gonna work either as some will always abuse the system... IF you are honest then it won't be aproblem at all, sadly not everyone is like that...

IF you are honest then it won't be aproblem at all, sadly not everyone is like that...

This is the biggest point, well made.

OK so the question then becomes - if I used chilled water (at above 0ºC, no blends) and am completely open about it, how many people would have an issue if I stayed in the Enthusiast League (my main argument being able to compete against the Nordic ambients)?

I reckon if the whole cooling unit (chiller) attached uses a compressor then it's classed as phase. AC on an air rig is still air cooled as it's not attached as it's blowing on it (and it's the only way you'll compete with the Nordic guys).

But if chillers are allowed in the water cooling league (enthusiast) even though when they go real cold they don't contain water then why not include cascades.? I condense gas to a liquid and when it hits my block (evap) it's still liquid (but boils off in there), bascially the same thing :P

Chillers = phase.... end off.

If you don't like it then man-up and move up to be classed in the Overclockers league.

A lot of guys have been asking and pushing for a seperate league for air and water for years on here and they have it and you want to spoil it for them. For some it's they only way they can push what they have, mainly beginners.

I see that this way they will be mergin the leagues as it will be too much of a gray area.

Enthusiast league... just air and water (if you bench outside then good for you).

Overclockers league... chillers, tec, + everything else.

Edited by Dualist

Wasn't this conversation the original reason why rankings couldn't be split by cooling because of the crossovers and gray areas? :D

Is there an intention to re-introduce cups/ medals beside each result.... or even just a number? I'm having a hard time seeing what each submission is, hardware ranking wise. I think I asked a couple weeks ago, I think I was hoping it would make it to patch #1 :)

Also, on our profile page where it displays the number of gold/silver/bronze we have, we cannot click into each one to get a result breakdown, so I/we cant check that way

Could HWB make a sticky post with a list of what is planned for each revision so we dont keep asking for the same things? It's easy to miss requests given how many posts are in these threads.

where is the recalculate button?

also....i thought there was a new rule for the pics in enthusiasts rule...isnt?

is that rule being implemented?

Has been a few times now - no recalc button needed in this rev due to the code, and pictures only needed for submissions from now on. If submitted before rev4, it still counts for enthusiast with or without pictures.

Has been a few times now - no recalc button needed in this rev due to the code, and pictures only needed for submissions from now on. If submitted before rev4, it still counts for enthusiast with or without pictures.

in that case we NEED a recalculate button...there are some huge discrepancies in scores...not only mine....