HWBOT Community Forums

New pots and other stuff :) (pot-science)

der8auer

I'll release my new memory pot in about 1-2 weeks. I won't hide that I tested three other pots and thought about improving and combining designs instead of reinventing the wheel.

One part of the development was a thermal simulation e.g. to check the perfect thickness of the heatspreaders, position of screws and stuff like that. I can't show the memory pot pics yet but I also did a simulation of my SLIM pot and thought the pics could be interesting :)

I've heard a lot of trollscience about pots and stuff about how "heat spreads" but I'm pretty sure none of those guys ever did a real test.

The pictures show the pot in an non insulated condition. Means not covered by armaflex or anything else. Just ambient temperature at +20°C. For the simulation the holes were filled with LN2 (not the complete pot!) and a 500W heat source with about 4cm² size was placed in the middle of the contact area.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1919&stc=1&d=1391122706

attachment.php?attachmentid=1920&stc=1&d=1391122706

attachment.php?attachmentid=1921&stc=1&d=1391122706

attachment.php?attachmentid=1922&stc=1&d=1391122706

attachment.php?attachmentid=1923&stc=1&d=1391122706

attachment.php?attachmentid=1924&stc=1&d=1391122706

Will post more soon including stuff about the memory pot :)

Hahaha epic meme :D

Nice to see that. I hope you'll do mounting process as much easy as you can. Mounting Vince memory pot it's not easy thing for me ))

I tried at least. The biggest problem is always if you want to support all kind of modules. Single-sided, dual-sided and modules with IHS and keep a good heat-transfer at the same time.

I'd like to know something more about your simulation. It's simple - 20C ambient, -196C inside and 500W heat flux or something else? And what exactly are you measuring - time to cool down or ability of the pot to handle 500W load?

I'm just curious about effects on simulation like this. At example it is pretty easy to make an optimal shape of radiatior, when there are only two boundary conditions (convection and heat flux) and it's obvious where to apply them, but in this case it is a lot more complicated in my opinion. Colours looks nice, but in FEA simulation you'll always get some colours at the end :D

I'd like to know something more about your simulation. It's simple - 20C ambient, -196C inside and 500W heat flux or something else? And what exactly are you measuring - time to cool down or ability of the pot to handle 500W load?

I'm just curious about effects on simulation like this. At example it is pretty easy to make an optimal shape of radiatior, when there are only two boundary conditions (convection and heat flux) and it's obvious where to apply them, but in this case it is a lot more complicated in my opinion. Colours looks nice, but in FEA simulation you'll always get some colours at the end :D

The screenshot is taken after 1s of simulation as it's a static simulation and no dynamic simulation. The boundary conditions are basically the heat-radiation to the ambient air, LN2 inside and the 500W load.

As you said it's way too difficult to do a 100% correct simulation. The biggest problem is that LN2 is not cooling down steady. The temperature coefficient between the LN2 and the copper is the biggest problem here. Decreasing the temperature of the pot the temperature coefficient is increasing. So it's impossible to do a simulation e.g. of how long it takes to cool down the pot or to measure the temperature you can reach.

But you can clearly see the heat transfer inside the design which is enough to see whether a hole is placed at a wrong spot or which mass actually helps as a buffer.

Have you simulated different types of insulation as well? Because no one is running without and it would be interesting how much insulation is necessary to have the most optimal cooling.

Yea I can decrease the thermal radiation from the ambient air which will make the pot appear in a deeper blue. Ofc it's more realistic with insulation but this way you can see the thermal transfer a lot better between load and LN2. It depends on the insulation material you're using. Using the real armaflex it helps up to about 14mm thickness. You will just need less LN2 but the performance of the pot won't change.

Edited by der8auer

Guest Bullant

@ Massman,insulation is a must imo unless you want to use excess ln2,the Armaflex Insulation Tape is great for this it also keeps the cold confined.

@ der8auer looking forward to seeing your pot,I hope it has as much volume as the ney pro pot

Looking nice roman i alredy have 2 of your Raptor rev2 gpu pots and they are awsome but i have only one bad thing about the pots wy are the hole for the probe soo big?

it only have to be 2mm max it is very hard to Mount the probes in taht big hole and insurring that they are seated right..

• 3 weeks later...