HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Rev.4 - The Plan.

Massman

* I have not yet read the entire 61 page thread*

on the topic of hardware sharing

one idea is for the bot to require serial numbers to be submitted for GPU's and CPU's to check for sharing, a picture(s) may be required as well. of course one could have a trust issue and fake a serial number, this is where manufactures could offer assistance in validating legitimate serial numbers.

A compromise could be serial numbers required for top 20 validation

a few key bonuses:

1. Manufacturers would be interested in the quantitative information

2. Hardware sharing could be eliminated with no change to team/individual point ranking

3. this would also put a stop to illegal hardware use, for example stolen/black market CPU's or GPU's. Non retail ES samples that were never intended for use outside of the manufacturer.

this is not a full proof plan there are flaws but has some benefit and helps meet the demand of the community.

Edited by V2-V3

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with serial numbers is that it doesn't solve hardware sharing, it just forces people to buy (or find) more than one sample. Eg: a team has 10 samples of GTX480 and sends around just one 1.3G sample for LN2 results. You will have 10 serials, but it's still hardware sharing.

As long as you know someone who works in a HW store you can also use serials from sold hardware pieces.

Serial numbers also means HW reselling will cause problems.

If I buy a card on a forum or on Ebay, and the serial number was already used... that means I can no longer submit with it?

Buying used HW is fine for HWbot, so invoice only or if its a contest winning a screeny of your name on the winners list would be adequate I think. For reviewers... a link to the review could be used. But it still would not stop HW Sharing.

JM2C

• 1 month later...
Alternatively the suggestion that the best score gets 100% of the points and all other scores (of the team) in the same ranking contribute 10% of the points to the team total.

sound ok. maybe it would make sense to reward the top5 of each hardwareclass with a bit more hardwarepoints then?

This is not going from rev.1 to rev two so dont compare it,the last major change did not alienate the lesser scoring members.

Ok i might be far from in the know,but what i do know is that this is a MAJOR change.

Anyways i guess i'll just let the heavy hitters do all the points and just ride the coattails not much else i can do...dead wood here i come woohoo!!!

Air only guys just got spat at bigtime.

HMMMMM...did not EVERYBODY here start on air?

just ranting so take it easy on me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Crew

Fabi, from what I was told earlier - league rankings are based on results, right? So the results fall in different leagues according to league restrictions. If you make a subzero result, your previous air/water result looses points making you lower in Entry league (Novice) and you subzero result achieves points pushing you higher in XOL. So you can't make both. That's only about individual ranking, team rankings don't divide in leagues.

But the UFL is going to be a free to participate as I understood. If you wish - you go there. If not - you stay in XOL.

I think the UFL should not be free because any people (good or no good overclocker) will join, only to say is part of the league.

I believe, in my humble opinion, that the hwbot should select the members of the UFL, and only the overclockers should participate with good results.

But as I said, it's just my opinion

P.S. will HWbot keep our achievements???

I think the UFL should not be free because any people (good or no good overclocker) will join, only to say is part of the league.

I believe, in my humble opinion, that the hwbot should select the members of the UFL, and only the overclockers should participate with good results.

But as I said, it's just my opinion

P.S. will HWbot keep our achievements???

Hmmm......segragation by caste system, yeah, that's gonna make you a lotta friends. People will be beating down the doors to get in there.:rolleyes:

Edited by Mr.Scott

Hmmm......segragation by caste system, yeah, that's gonna make you a lotta friends. People will be beating down the doors to get in there.:rolleyes:

+1 Mr Scott :)

UFL should only be people with good results? Now how do you define a good result...

Example new overclocker "Hey guys, look I'm ranked last in the UFL league on Hwbot with 2 points! W00t!"

lol