HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT Country Cup 2014 thread.

Massman

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why ar al the stageg limitet ? only for members who registered on or after 2014-10-30 00:00:00.

for stage 4 ar the Westmere-EP Cores and other xeon/opterons variants of the desktop models allowed? if no , i am am out i don't have other hardware to compete in other stages

Edited by skulstation

This is not just the allowed hardware, it is the required hardware, which means your country have to provide a score with every single VGA listed there.

So you actually want to add yet another card(s) in the requirements for the total of 6+ scores in stage 3? Why?

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

This is not just the allowed hardware, it is the required hardware, which means your country have to provide a score with every single VGA listed there.

So you actually want to add yet another card(s) in the requirements for the total of 6+ scores in stage 3? Why?

For all stages and not for a particular one , it would be nice to have more hardware options , than the obligatory submissions.

Meaning that , a poor team with no resources , that doesnt have a superWoW Haswell-E ... CAN STILL compete with a 6core cpu , even with a SandyBridge-E

So , 4 cpu categories permitted but only 3 submissions are required.

The same should apply for the rest of the stages too.

Give a bit more hardware options.

Also on enthusiast stage, does this mean they have to be in that league or does it mean we just have to follow the rules of that league? Seems someone could easily have their wife join or roommate no?

They have to be in the league, and of course adhere to the league requirements (ie. no liquid nitrogen).

I've amended the rules with a temperature requirement (must be >20°C) as measured by 3DMark during the benchmark run just to make sure we are all on the same page.

Why no 270 and 7870 in a stage where you allow 270X?

Why did you left-out the 6core cpu's from both stage2 and stage4 ???

Please add them. Also , i agree about adding 7870 in stage3. Thanks

for stage 4 ar the Westmere-EP Cores and other xeon/opterons variants of the desktop models allowed? if no , i am am out i don't have other hardware to compete in other stages

The reason why some variants are not included is because the competition goal is to compete with all variants. For example, if we'd allow 6x CPU in stage 2 where the requirement is 3 scores, the winning combination would be 8x + 6x + 4x CPU. But the goal is to combine 8x + 4x + 2x CPU.

If we can extend the code to support easy grouping, we can add them though. For example [(8x or 6x) and 4x and 2x)] so the choice would be 8x or 6x. But I'm not sure we can add this easily. Keep you updated!

In that case, allow any combination as long as it doesn't go above 16 cores? That way the team could have: (8+4+2)/3 or (8+6)/3.

As for the GPU's, I don't think there should be any problem. People will still want the 270X instead of 270/7870 since it's better performing, but you will increase participation.

Very, very hard set of tests. Only people with High-end HW and extremely cost hardware or sponsors are be able to participate this challenge. Very sad :( HWBOT Team Cup 2014 was very flexible in this way, and more interesting I think. For small countries it is unreachable contest.

Yay! Hope Germany will team-up quickly and sort out all the stages!

New competition site is still very confusing / no overview on one page to me - the news pointed out better what is needed in every stage than the entire "e-oc-blabla page".

But it will be madness and massive fun - guaranteed!

Edited by AwardFabrik

I'm not a fan of the structure this year, but it isn't all that bad. Everyone talks about "team", but it's country. The structure is set up so that not just a small group of people can submit all scores for a nation. We have a mix of ln2 results and and ambient results in stage 3. So it really takes a variety of people to submit everything. The requirement of 3dmark links for two of the stages also makes it a bit more difficult for one person to submit more than one score per stage unless he/she has multiple 3dmark keys or is willing to endure the pain of running the entire suite.

The reason why some variants are not included is because the competition goal is to compete with all variants. For example, if we'd allow 6x CPU in stage 2 where the requirement is 3 scores, the winning combination would be 8x + 6x + 4x CPU. But the goal is to combine 8x + 4x + 2x CPU.

If we can extend the code to support easy grouping, we can add them though. For example [(8x or 6x) and 4x and 2x)] so the choice would be 8x or 6x. But I'm not sure we can add this easily. Keep you updated!

There's even a much more easy move to do.

Simply leave-out the 8cores and replace them with the 6cores.

This way , there are plenty of options for hardware , including the 6core Haswell-E models ;)

We considered the activity numbers for the Haswell-E in the past months actually. Right now, the Core i7 5960X is used as much as the Core i7 3930K in all 2014. The 4930K is more used though. If we consider the numbers from August (including August), the 5960X is the most used of all LGA2011 platforms. There are 41 countries who have someone benching the 5960X, so should be possible I guess.

I understand what you mean though.

I don't like the limitation of only member that joined on or before 30th october can participate. Sweden are a small country and we might need to bring in more people than usually bench on HWBOT to be able to get results in every stage. Plus, doesn't HWBOT want more members? Seems like a very strange decision to me.

We considered the activity numbers for the Haswell-E in the past months actually. Right now, the Core i7 5960X is used as much as the Core i7 3930K in all 2014. The 4930K is more used though. If we consider the numbers from August (including August), the 5960X is the most used of all LGA2011 platforms. There are 41 countries who have someone benching the 5960X, so should be possible I guess.

I understand what you mean though.

Take out of your calculations ALL the engineering samples ... and then look at your stats again.

I don't like the limitation of only member that joined on or before 30th october can participate. Sweden are a small country and we might need to bring in more people than usually bench on HWBOT to be able to get results in every stage. Plus, doesn't HWBOT want more members? Seems like a very strange decision to me.

It's so that people can't make fake accounts and submit more than once. They would have had to make the fake accounts prior to that date.

Is it me, or the new site is fcuked up? I am using Opera 12, and the site is very laggy. On IE is a bit better. Also, the urls are not working properly: if I click on the points that a country has on a certain stage, it redirects me to the Gigabyte challenge. Also, I couln't find a link which sends me to the scores (submissions) that a country has.

If you don't understand my crappy English I will make a video to show what I am talking about.