HWBOT Community Forums

Remembering Turrican: Bench for a good cause (and buy a T-shirt)

_mat_

The scores are ranked by "oldest hardware", then "first to submit". Not score.

Sorry , but the author of this competition , had written otherwise ...

_mat_ says:

Dear community, the most quiet time of the year is here, where we think about about our family and friends. This year we have lost a big part of the overclocking community, our dear Karl. So I would like to invite you to join us in honoring his name by participating in our donation campaign for an Austrian children hospital dedicated to researching cancer especially for young patients. The idea was born when you guys asked where you could donate to his family, but they wanted you to help the hospital instead. Now this idea is wrapped up the way Turrican would like it ... :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199480&thumb=750

To cut things short, overclockers.at (my site), our friends from Noctua and HWBot have teamed up to present you the Turrican Memorial Challenge!

It's a contest with two stages using GPUPI, the benchmark I dedicated to Turrican a few weeks ago.

The first stage is called "Turrican's choice" and focuses on old hardware. Run GPUPI in 1B on the oldest CPU possible and overclock the hell out of it afterwards. The oldest chip with the fastest run wins!

Yes, you know you wouldn't stand a chance if Karl could participate. :D The second stage is GPUPI in 1B for graphics cards all out. The fastest run wins, whatever it takes! We would like to see some crazy 290s on liquid nitrogen here, so be ready to refill your containers. But this contest should not be all about winning and prizes. Noctua, some of the guys there knew Turrican personally, will donate 1 Euro for every participant of this contest! So get ready to crunch some pi on your system, all of you can make this happen. The contest will start whenever HWBot is ready. It will be officially announced in the news. In addition to the contest we have prepared something special to take the donation campaign to another level. At overclockers.at we have been giving out "Hardware Terminator" shirts for the winners of our little overclocking contests. It's Turrican's nickname that Monstru gave him when he visited Austria for an OC event in 2009. It kind of stuck and we made a couple of shirts just for fun. They were not for sale, they had to be earned by liquid nitrogen, sweat and blood.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199499&thumb=750

Turrican wearing is his shirt surround by his most favorite toys.

For this donation campaign we've redesigned this shirts a bit and made them available in our web shop in multiple cuts and colors. They will be printed on demand in small by a little company here in Austria and shipped by us as soon as they are ready. To be able to buy one, you have to donate at least 5 Euros to the donation campaign. We let the amount of the donation open to your choosing. Every Euro is appreciated and will be directly forwarded as it is. The proceedings of the whole campaign will be officially handed over to St. Anna Kinderspital in February next year. More details on that as soon as possible. I wish you all a merry christmas, have fun benching, get yourself a nice shirt and help us with this good cause! Links: English web shop with international shipping | Turrican Memory Challenge (starts soon)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry , but the author of this competition , had written otherwise ...
That's what I have proposed for this competition from the beginning. I thought that at some time in the competition the oldest hardware is found. Then it's everybody to the battle stations and fire at will!

Massman, would that be some kind of technical problem with the competition engine?

This is the release date I have for the 1.5G Willamette: 2000-11-20

D0 are 2001 atleast the one i have is 2001 but B2 is 2000

The scores are ranked by "oldest hardware", then "first to submit". Not score.

WooooW thats far away from sport and competition! Whats the point extend competition with one month then? Its competition not petition where people sign. ;)

p.s. This killing all my will to bench ...

Edited by GunGod

The final phase of the competition is here and we are so close to 100 participants! :eek:

Yesterday I've wrecked my R9 290X Lightning (no screens of course), so I binned my ASUS GTX 980 STRIX samples one more time to participate in the competition. Best one could do 1630 MHz on air and I was able to beat my old score in 1B. :)

That's what I like most about overclocking ... if you put in an effort, it pays off. Not always, but suprisingly often.

mat_s-gpupi-1b-score-30sec-706ms-with-a-geforce-gtx-980_1_201300.jpg

mat_s-gpupi-1b-score-30sec-706ms-with-a-geforce-gtx-980_2_201301.jpg

http://hwbot.org/submission/2776628__mat__gpupi___1b_geforce_gtx_980_30sec_706ms

How do you mean?

This 0.8mhz s423 cpu is from MARCH 2000, 8 months older than the P4-1.4 & 1.5 that are from November 2000.

I submitted it on the 27th for stage-1 before the end of the comp and it was not put into the rankings as the oldest cpu. My submission of the 1.5 is the one still in the rankings.

Excuse me but why wast my submission added to the competition?

http://hwbot.org/submission/2776088_

Probably ? (i dont really know)

Cause the result moderators didnt have enough data about that cpu.

You could have helped them a bit , by providing an actual photo of that cpu ... and also a screenshot from an older cpuz version , that recognised the cpu.

That's my thoughts.

You could have helped them a bit , by providing an actual photo of that cpu ... and also a screenshot from an older cpuz version , that recognised the cpu.

That's my thoughts.

Or they could have just asked Alex. Use your resources.

Thread from 4 years ago. Hope it helps.

http://classicplatforms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=6317

That's my thoughts.

I gave what info I thought would be enough.

The cpu ihs markings have all thinned out so much you cant see any writing on it, so that would have done no good.

All the cpuz versions I have tried all show the same. I have not tried them all.

Turrican added the cpu himself to the data base on 05-06-2011

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=25536

Looks like a very tough case for a moderator.

With no markings on the heat spreader you are left alone with software detection only.

And can anybody ever be sure , about when this ES cpu was produced ?

Because we are not talking about a release date here.

If we had the production code printed on the heat spreader , that would have been enough (as i see it).

What does cpuz version 1.21 show ?

Can you match the readings , of what has been verified as a P4 800 ?

Cause there's a difference in cpuid (family).

P4 ES

50_cpuz.png

Mr paco ES

file.php?id=3243&mode=view

There is also a big difference is fabrication

P4 800 ES => Heat spreader on top left corner

10_front.jpg

Mr Paco ES = Almost centered heat spreader

file.php?id=2571&mode=view

Honestly, is this really necessary?

Turrican himself added it to the database, so more than one person knows it exists.

CPU World has an entry in their database.

CPU has been dated, it doesn't really matter if it's an ES or not.

If you want to take ES into account, it may have even been earlier than 2000. Nobody knows. Point is, it's a valid CPU.

You guys can do what you want, we know who the real winner of the stage is.

Edited by Mr.Scott

Honestly, is this really necessary?

Turrican himself added it to the database, so more than one person knows it exists.

CPU World has an entry in their database.

CPU has been dated, it doesn't really matter if it's an ES or not.

If you want to take ES into account, it may have even been earlier than 2000. Nobody knows. Point is, it's a valid CPU.

:)

Edited by TASOS