HWBOT Community Forums

Remembering Turrican: Bench for a good cause (and buy a T-shirt)

_mat_

Dear community,

the most quiet time of the year is here, where we think about about our family and friends. This year we have lost a big part of the overclocking community, our dear Karl. So I would like to invite you to join us in honoring his name by participating in our donation campaign for an Austrian children hospital dedicated to researching cancer especially for young patients. The idea was born when you guys asked where you could donate to his family, but they wanted you to help the hospital instead. Now this idea is wrapped up the way Turrican would like it ... :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199480&thumb=750

To cut things short, overclockers.at (my site), our friends from Noctua and HWBot have teamed up to present you the Turrican Memorial Challenge! It's a contest with two stages using GPUPI, the benchmark I dedicated to Turrican a few weeks ago. The first stage is called "Turrican's choice" and focuses on old hardware. Run GPUPI in 1B on the oldest CPU possible and overclock the hell out of it afterwards. The oldest chip with the fastest run wins! Yes, you know you wouldn't stand a chance if Karl could participate. :D

The second stage is GPUPI in 1B for graphics cards all out. The fastest run wins, whatever it takes! We would like to see some crazy 290s on liquid nitrogen here, so be ready to refill your containers. But this contest should not be all about winning and prizes. Noctua, some of the guys there knew Turrican personally, will donate 1 Euro for every participant of this contest! So get ready to crunch some pi on your system, all of you can make this happen. The contest will start whenever HWBot is ready. It will be officially announced in the news.

In addition to the contest we have prepared something special to take the donation campaign to another level. At overclockers.at we have been giving out "Hardware Terminator" shirts for the winners of our little overclocking contests. It's Turrican's nickname that Monstru gave him when he visited Austria for an OC event in 2009. It kind of stuck and we made a couple of shirts just for fun. They were not for sale, they had to be earned by liquid nitrogen, sweat and blood.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199499&thumb=750

Turrican wearing is his shirt surround by his most favorite toys.

For this donation campaign we've redesigned this shirts a bit and made them available in our web shop in multiple cuts and colors. They will be printed on demand in small by a little company here in Austria and shipped by us as soon as they are ready. To be able to buy one, you have to donate at least 5 Euros to the donation campaign. We let the amount of the donation open to your choosing. Every Euro is appreciated and will be directly forwarded as it is. The proceedings of the whole campaign will be officially handed over to St. Anna Kinderspital in February next year. More details on that as soon as possible.

I wish you all a merry christmas, have fun benching, get yourself a nice shirt and help us with this good cause!

Links: English web shop with international shipping | Turrican Memory Challenge (starts soon)

Edited by _mat_

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken he's using VS2013, which does not compile for XP unless specified in compiler options. Also SSE2 is a minimum, but can be disabled afaik.

OK............but he says it's XP compatible.

GPUPI supports not only GPUs, but also CPU calculations. It needs at least OpenCL 1.x with double precision support. Target platform is Windows XP and later.

So it really isn't?

Also, there should be some minimum requirements listed somewhere then.

So what exactly is the oldest CPU this will run on?

Netburst processors (Pentium 4, Xeon, Celeron, Pentium D, Celeron D)

Via C7

A64

is what I come up with.

Edited by Mr.Scott

First off a word about compatibility. I'm using the newest CUDA toolkit for best performance, but it doesn't support Windows XP. That's why GPUPI.exe and GPUPI_CUDA.exe won't work on XP and Server 2003. But the pure OpenCL version does. You just need the VS2013 redistributable and some OpenCL drivers of course.

As for OpenCL itself, it will need SSE3 support, so compatibility goes back to Pentium 4 (since Prescott) on Socket 478 and old AMD Athlon 64 (since Venice) on Socket 754. Here is an outdated list of CPUs with SSE3: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions_3

Also, there should be some minimum requirements listed somewhere then.

So what exactly is the oldest CPU this will run on?

Netburst processors (Pentium 4, Xeon, Celeron, Pentium D, Celeron D)

Via C7

A64

is what I come up with.

That's part of the challenge, as well as finding a working driver. :) Edited by _mat_

First off a word about compatibility. I'm using the newest CUDA toolkit for best performance, but it doesn't support Windows XP. That's why GPUPI.exe and GPUPI_CUDA.exe won't work on XP and Server 2003. But the pure OpenCL version does. You just need the VS2013 redistributable and some OpenCL drivers of course.

As for OpenCL itself, it will need SSE3 support, so compatibility goes back to Pentium 4 (since Prescott) on Socket 478 and old AMD Athlon 64 (since Venice) on Socket 754. Here is an outdated list of CPUs with SSE3: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions_3

That's part of the challenge, as well as finding a working driver. :)

Thanks Mat. The clarification makes it a bit easier to understand.

Maybe in an update you could include all of the required accessories needed to run this (except OpenCL drivers of course), maybe packaged in an installer? Just thinking out loud. Thanks again. :)

GuyOne take a 2014 CPU and do a 5min run (figures for the example).

GuyTwo take a 2005 CPU and do a 50min run.

GuyThree take a 2005 CPU and do a 51min run.

The final podium wiil be :

1. GuyTwo

2. GuyThree

3. GuyOne

Can a modo add my run to the first stage please ? http://hwbot.org/submission/2715801_ :D

Can't add it myself since i added the rig picture after the submission :/

Stage two with GTX 760 now ^^