HWBOT Community Forums

der8auer Delid Die Mate

der8auer

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that's the launch price. I'm trying to lower the price but can't promise miracles for now. Manufacturing is not cheap and the tolerances to fit the PCBs are pretty low.

Honestly I want to be 100% sure that it works with all the CPUs and doesn't damage anything. I rather have a more expensive tool than a CPU-killer.

Sale will start tomorrow at Caseking.de. I'm already working with some sales guys to get it available in other countries as well.

Broadwell works as well btw. Tested compatibility so far: Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Devils Canyon, Broadwell, Skylake.

cJgQ2xk.jpg

It's a website that organizes group buys. There are various price points per amount of people. Once the goal is met, the manufacturer is notified and production begins.

For this... say the price starts at $80 for 10 people then drops to $60 for 50 people and $50 for 75 people.

Check the image:

NXC1teu.png

If this is something that you would be interested in doing, someone can start a poll over at Massdrop and get the community to vote on it.

YHonestly I want to be 100% sure that it works with all the CPUs and doesn't damage anything. I rather have a more expensive tool than a CPU-killer.

Please don't follow the industry standard of cost-down and produce it at full quality. I'd much rather pay EUR 90 for something that definitely works than EUR 70 that may crash and burn.

:celebration:

assuming you could even drum up the interest there. You need to start a poll and have 200+ people vote for it. for stuff like this I think they usually require more. If you do want to try it matt30v at geekhack, I think released topre space bars through them.

good thing for you about them is they pay you before you have made the item. and seem to give manufacturers pletnty of time.

space bars took 4months+ because they wanted to get the colors "right"

Please don't follow the industry standard of cost-down and produce it at full quality. I'd much rather pay EUR 90 for something that definitely works than EUR 70 that may crash and burn.

:celebration:

But surely even with the current manufacturer, higher order quantity = reduced costs per unit?

I see this easily being Romans most popular product to date so it needs to be globally available at an affordable price for it to really get traction.

U can easily print this for below 10 € on a 3D printer like a makerbot...clever, simple idea but the price is a joke...

Well don't buy it if you don't like the price. You can just spend 50 Cent on a razorblade and go for it.

There is no way you can print this with the required tolerances below 10€. Also have fun printing the threads for the screws

100 micron should definitly do it and making threads after printing isn't a big deal either (why bothering printing that, there are different solutions for the movement part)

maybe will give it a try with a 5th gen replicator and some old CPU for proof of concept...will share STL file then.

100 micron should definitly do it and making threads after printing isn't a big deal either (why bothering printing that, there are different solutions for the movement part)

maybe will give it a try with a 5th gen replicator and some old CPU for proof of concept...will share STL file then.

There is apparently one floating around already. Not sure if it was around before the delid mate or not but someone linked to it on OCN. I'm conflicted here... it's awesome that 3D printing has made something so easy but I know Roman put a lot of work into this.

@der8auer, what are your thoughts on the 3D printed one? I know it can't keep the same tolerances as yours but people have been having success with it. Are you upset that it's possibly taking your idea/potential customers or are you just happy that delidding is becoming safer/easier?

The 3D printed part was released few days after the Delid Die Mate.

I totally support all kind of improvement. It's just funny that people take the idea for granted and just complain.

My tool was designed for maximum stability, compatibility and the fact that you don't need any other tools. You can glue the IHS back on and you don't need a vice.

After I released the DDM the price for a vice apparently dropped to 0$.

The guy who made the 3D printed tool also said that his tool is mainly designed for one to few uses only. In addition he said it might not work with IHS with round edges.

I'm just tired of defending the price of the product. Just don't buy it if you don't like it. I made the tool mainly for myself and just offer it to others. I also don't call ferrari and complain about the price because I don't like it...

SoF where did the idea exist before?

Maybe you should call yourself Only-Appear-To-Complain-SoF from now on.

Edited by der8auer

The question is - was the community file first.

Here is most of the concept but I can't find the file atm (from 2012).

I just see Roman put a simple (existing) idea/piece into a product, charging a lot money for it - maybe should call himself i8auer from now on...

€: here's one yeah but not that well build https://www.youmagine.com/designs/skylake-delid-tool

Everything comes to a cost,the fact that now a proper tool is available is a great benefit for the community.After all the price is not bad,do consider if you binn 30 cpu,find a gem then you kill it with delid you lost huge amount of money and time,with this at least you are 100% it;s safe,you can kill it happily with volts then :D