HWBOT Community Forums

Asus Maximus IX Apex and Coffee Lake Cpu's !

So just updated to 2301 Dsanke bios from one of his older releases. Wasn’t sure how but Dsanke helped me out and pointed me in right direction. Basically all you got to do is use Fptw64 to just flash the bios region. Didn’t need flashback or anything complicated.

First had to unlock the Asus bios lock using an Efi shell. Full instructions can be found here: https://www.win-raid.com/t3908f16-GUIDE-Grub-Fix-Intel-FPT-Error-or-BIOS-Lock-Asus-Other-Mod-BIOS-Flash.html.

Also to save you time the bios lock is located at 0x939. Hopefully next release will have bios lock unlocked.

Edited by davidm71_2

Just updated the microcode on the Apex IX Dsanke 2301 rom for 906-EC to version D6 from version CA. Sorry I only updated one microcode for my 9700K but I think it should work on the 9900K as well. Also may have removed the Asus Bios-Lock. Just flashed and can confirm its a working rom:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ydhw2ruesg7y6q/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2301-D6-Unlock.7z/file

d6mc.jpg?raw=1

• 2 weeks later...

for 7700k,  bios mod is needed to flash modded bios , but is pcie mod (nuvoton chip) needed to boot like for the 8 and 9 gen cpus?  OR both needed for modded bios to work correctly even for 7700k ?

also, ok to flash modded bios to 2nd bios chip and leave original bios using bios switch?

Edited by mulitpass

10 hours ago, mulitpass said:

for 7700k,  bios mod is needed to flash modded bios , but is pcie mod (nuvoton chip) needed to boot like for the 8 and 9 gen cpus?  OR both needed for modded bios to work correctly even for 7700k ?

also, ok to flash modded bios to 2nd bios chip and leave original bios using bios switch?

You only need the BIOS flashed to use a 7700K. And it's okay to leave the other BIOS original. I did this myself in the past.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ShervinGreen said:

Hi,

coffee mod Apex IX to Apex X was successful. Now running with 9700K

I would like to mod HERO IX to HERO X. Has someone tried it already?

I also have Apex IX + 9700K. Wonder how are your vid voltages and luck with over clicking?

So, if I will use USB Flashback method for my IX APEX, what exactly it's filename should be?

creative.rom (from 1st page here), M9A.CAP (as asus.com says), M10A.CAP (as BRenamerl did it)?

Will ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2203.ROM work with SRG15 CPU (9700K R0 Revision)?

MC Extractor says 2203 has:

5  │ 906ED │   22 (1,5)   │    B8    │ 2019-03-17 │ PRD  │ 0x17C00 │ 0xBD3470

and for 2301:

5  │ 906ED │   22 (1,5)   │    CC    │ 2019-12-12 │ PRD  │ 0x18800 │ 0xBD3C70

Edited by AlexRay

On 3/6/2019 at 5:59 PM, Moonman said:

Maximus VIII Impact running with 9900K, should be no issue with 8700K/8086K.

CPU Pad Mod I just made.

2 pins isolated as per attached image.

Flashed with programmer.

If you need bios, let me know.

Maximus VIII Impact CPU Pad Mod for CFL.jpg

-704f2493a51166fd.png

9900K@M8I.png

Hi Moonman,

Can I have the Bios for my Maximus VIII Impact to work with an i9-9900K R0 Stepping? 

I have followed video instructions by Luumi on YouTube and came here to get all the required tools. However there seems to be a problem with the latest CoffeeLake MOD tool, as well as a problem with dragging the bios file to the SyncAllCoreRatio program.

Many thanks!

On 6/24/2020 at 5:23 PM, davidm71_2 said:

What about adaptive mode? What bios version build are you using?

Thanks

also no problem. It runs for a few days without any issues. 

Bios Version is 2203 from dsanke

2301 works too

Edited by ShervinGreen
add bios info

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any hints for overclocking the A2 memory above 3600? I was able to run SPI32M and R20 on 3866 C14 1T, but above 3600 it's extremely unstable. Usually there is Not exact in round error before initial loop, sometimes setting some voltages help to stabilize it. I've found in some cases that increasing the DMI voltage from 1,26 to 1,40V helps making it stable up to 3866, but after next boot I was getting errors again. Funny thing is that it's booting into Windows easily even on 4000C14 1T.

I'm running 9600k and Apex IX with 2402 Apex X bios, it will be my daily rig so no big issue with this ram speed, I've just wanted to know if there is any solution for this.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, Leeghoofd said:

Using Maxmem ? otherwise loosen to Cas 15 or even 16 for daily usage

This is one of the biggest culprits of B-Die, its nice to tweak but you loose nearly 75% of your memory capacity to be bench stable, read not even daily stable for gaming or such

No Maxmem, I'm looking for daily settings. At least 9600k is running very nice - 5.1GHz on 1.24V.

Looks like above 3466c15 1T is no go on A2 combined with Z170/Z270 chipset. I had exact the same weird behaviour on Ranger VIII, in this case I thought that it's the board issue.

3466C15 is rock stable on Apex IX, but above it might be rock stable, might be 55 error, or it can boot, but Spi32M will show errors in first 2-3 loops. Too much pain for daily rig :)

Edited by bartx

Hi!

First of all I would like to thank everyone! This made it possible for me to mod my Maximus IX Apex myself.
At first, everything seemd to be fine but unfortunately it came to a problem.
I've installed the i7-9700k (R0 stepping) and flashed the BIOS from dsanke (ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2402) (great job dsanke!).
System started and booted to bios ( yay :) )
So I decided to install my gpu (asus rog gtx1080), closed the case and wanted to proceed with os installation. 
At this point, the board is not starting anymore :( . The aura leds are on, but if I press the start button (board or case), I noticed that the system wants to start up for about 200ms. I barely see the flashing LED from my Corsair AIO (H100i Pro).
My first thought was, that something is wrong with my soldering.
I've resoldered the mod (bios & cpu pad) on the motherboard and flashed the BIOS again. No improvement.
So I decided to remove the cpu pad mod, install the i7-7700k and flash the original BIOS (1302).

Same problem as I mentioned before. Aura leds are on, system is unable to start. 
I also installed the speaker. Status leds are off (cpu, ram etc.) and no codes are shown at the 7 segment display.

My assumption is that something is shorted or even broken.

I've no idea where I should start to search for the problem. Maybe somebody has some tips or ideas that could help me. Thanks a lot in advance.