HWBOT Community Forums

Challengers 2019 Round 2 proposal:

Leeghoofd

• Crew

Challengers Round 1 is almost ending, so time to look at Round 2

This will focus on 3D this time 'expect start at 1st of May.  With Round 3 focussing on both 2 and 3D.

Hardware and CPU limitations will remain the same. 

Though we have to make decisions on the GPUs now. My proposal:

Division 6 & 7: legacy cards  with a single GPU core up to max a GTX 580 or Radeon 6XXX series, stock coolers only

Division 1 - 5: single core GPUs, but no Titans, RTX or other server GPUs, strock coolers only

Pro OC: single GPU card, no cooling limits

Open for inputs or thoughts

Edited by Leeghoofd

It might be interesting to have the Div 6 and 7 limitations be 4GHz for CPU (to give Ryzen users a chance) but then no limitations on the GPU, would make for an intersting battle that would be more GPU based limit than CPU. Although I would understand if having sub zero temps on the GPU would go against the ethos of those divisions.

I take it by  "stock" you mean air cooled.  If so, you probably need to say it in such terms. There are many AIO hybrids and some full cover water blocks factory stock. For instance, I have Classified Hydrocopper GTX 580 up through the K|ngp|n Edition 2080 ti which is a hybrid. I may not submit in many stages since I have so few air cooled VGAs.  Perhaps DIV I and/or II could use water blocks?

wow...stock coolers WTF :|  I pull off the stock cooler and chuck it in the trash first thing for all legacy cards.  I think you need to open up the cooling method and stick with software based GPU temp limit of +15c or something in that range. 

Edited by mllrkllr88
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I understand the stock cooler idea to level out the field, but I don't see it being practical. As its proposed now I could use a stock card and chilled AC air blowing on it. Software based temp limits seems far more constrained and practical.

Allowing all mainstream single-core cards up to 580's seems pretty much perfect as most people have a 580 already and they are widely available still.  The other option would be to set a specific card like GTX1050 or but that limits the participants dramatically.

• Thanks 1

• Crew

With us needing to use HWiNFO64 or HWMonitor and the like already I think a +15/20c minimum for GPU temp is best.
I understand the rationale behind Stock coolers only but with there being (sometimes large) variations in the capabilities of GPU air coolers it could be just as unbalanced as allowing H2O mixed in anyway.

Capping CPU freq is fine by me and also ties in with still needing monitoring software.

Can't speak for Div VII but for Div VI it'd make sense to have the top end GPU used to be the same time period as the top end platform (990FX = HD 7970)

Looking forward to Round 2 ?

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, Mr.Scott said:

Personally,  I'm a fan of the stock cooling limitation.

I like the idea too, I see the merit pushing "stock" as far as it will go!!  I just feel there is a potentially VAST difference in the cooling power between card A and card B, which would really make the competition unfair for the masses. I believe setting a temp limit is actually a whole lot more fair and constrained than saying "stock cooler"...

If this does become a "stock cooler" competition, I will look forward to getting weird with a modded window AC unit and crazy cardboard duct work :ph34r::D

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mllrkllr88 said:

I like the idea too, I see the merit pushing "stock" as far as it will go!!  I just feel there is a potentially VAST difference in the cooling power between card A and card B, which would really make the competition unfair for the masses. I believe setting a temp limit is actually a whole lot more fair and constrained than saying "stock cooler"...

If this does become a "stock cooler" competition, I will look forward to getting weird with a modded window AC unit and crazy cardboard duct work :ph34r::D

Same here - The stock cooler idea is fine by me too.

Makes it more of a challenge to do well. ?

2 hours ago, mllrkllr88 said:

Stock cooler. With a Leaf Blower. Lol

• Haha 1

• Crew
4 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

K might change it to positive temps than iso stock cooler... also gonna lower the processor clocks to 4500ish speeds so the CPU has lesser impact on the outcome 

CPU limited to positive temps in Div I-V as well?
I'd assume Div VI-VII would be positive temps regardless as they were in Round 1

I am horrified at the prospect of air cooling only RE: GPUs.

This is supposed to be fun and that requirement suddenly makes it a whole lot of work - I speak only for myself.

You know, the 2080 Ti RTX is an incredibly boring card at stock cooling. "Yay, look - we all get to score the same how fun! Oh wait, kimandsally pulled ahead by 1 mark... wait - hold on to your hats everyone - jab33 just went ahead by 1, too!"

Edited by marco.is.not.80

• Crew

it will become more tweaking (right drivers, proper settings, etc) iso of just upping CPU clocks like we do now... so if you link fun with getting scores with minimal effort, than this round 2 might be better to skip...

Maybe forget about the RTX it might not be of great use at very low CPU speeds... and it will all depend on the benchmark choice...

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1