HWBOT Community Forums

The official Country Cup 2019 - 10th Anniversary Edition thread.

jpmboy

Not sure why GPU-Z shows Vega 11 as PCIe but it's literally on the same silicon as the CPU and 100% shares system memory so I don't think anyone will argue about it being an iGPU.

BTW I really like the design of the stage... even if the PCI part is really annoying for me personally.

2 hours ago, mickulty said:

BTW I really like the design of the stage... even if the PCI part is really annoying for me personally.

I mean as long as you get a strong 2080ti/titan score as long as you get a pci score I think you should be good.

Although I think anyone who's started researching for PCI score will have seen that it doesn't necesarily matter the core used that much anyways as PCI is very limited and if you have to convert from pcie to pci to pcie it has a disadvantage over just pcie to pci conversion.

2 hours ago, havli said:

You can run PCI GPU in PCI-X board, perhaps it will be somewhat faster.

Cpu still matters for 3dm06 too though. AFAIK lga 1156 is the newest board with native PCI. Which non native PCI should have a fairly impact and be especially made worse on the newer PCI gpus as they are not native PCI either so you'd be using a bridgechip to go from pcie on the core to PCI on the slot, then back to PCIE from the slot to the chipset. I did some math and even with the best possible cpu score the cost to graphics score from running non native seems to be too much for overall score.

May find an older platform like 775 may still beat 1156 if there's no way to OC the PCI bus on any 1156 or 1366 board.

Edited by yosarianilives

4 hours ago, havli said:

No need to OC PCI when you can run it at 66 MHz in the PCI-X slot. 775 boards with PCI-X definitely exist and I think 1366 too.

But isn't pci-x only for server. So you'd only get it on server grade boards which would fall under "No server HW allowed"

Just to play devils advocate

Edited by yosarianilives

On 11/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, Leeghoofd said:

That Stage is not entirely Legacy GPUs, otherwise PCIe without any restrictions would not be in there right?   It's a mix of the proposed stage from previous cups with an added flavor to be able to use the latest and greatest

ah - I get it, no restrictions, but the team needs one (and only one) of each, AGP, PCIE, PCI, hybrid and integrated socket... one for each "buss" type.  yes?

Edited by jpmboy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jpmboy said:

ah - I get it, no restrictions, but the team needs one (and only one) of each, AGP, PCIE, PCI, hybrid and integrated socket... one for each "buss" type.  yes?

Correct, although I think we all know that the only score that matters is pcie as long as the other scores show up because of the large difference in score. So if someone can run 7700k/7740x+RTX titan for that stage would give their team a large advantage.

So devils advocate since I just got the dumbest idea for ycruncher stage, assuming we can make sure it's only on a single socket is renting time on like an azure server allowed? Cause you can rent those by hour and at that point even an e7 8890 is kinda affordable

I know this is an edgecase "Well the rules don't say a dog can't play baseball..." type of question, sorry in advance

Edited by yosarianilives

57 minutes ago, mickulty said:

Look, honestly you keep coming up with crap like this and all it does is make something for mods to have to deal with.  What I do truely want is for you to stop one way or another.

Renting a cloud server would just be bad faith, and not the 'fair play' people are expected to engage in.

I can see how my questions are seen as pestering, however you above all people should know my career background is mainly where my attitude of constantly asking for clarification comes from. 

I work in an industry that is heavily procedure and regulation bound. In short if there is any doubt in if it's procedurally or regulatory correct you stop work until its remediated or clarified by a governing body. On top of this my job within this industry is entirely based upon procedural and regulatory compliance. In short I'm used to asking "is this correct" a lot. So if the "procedure" is not clear you ask the "governing body". 

Is it more fair to only allow people who have connections to run scores on Rome or allow someone without connections to pay $20 to run an equivalent server chip for a few hours. I can say that personally I have very little invested in running competition benches on cloud compute hw, but not everyone has ties to a server manufacturer for hft. 

Edited by Bilko

• Crew

One benches hardware that one has in his possession, we don't rent stuff to get a score...

Just the thought alone already makes me wonder how many rules you need to be bullet proof according your mindset dude. OC is already plagued by an abundance of rules due to similar rule bending mindprocessing. Just let it go and stop over analyzing things, you already have to do this at your work, don't do this in your free time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

I can see how my questions are seen as pestering, however you above all people should know my career background is mainly where my attitude of constantly asking for clarification comes from. 

I work in an industry that is heavily procedure and regulation bound. In short if there is any doubt in if it's procedurally or regulatory correct you stop work until its remediated or clarified by a governing body. On top of this my job within this industry is entirely based upon procedural and regulatory compliance. In short I'm used to asking "is this correct" a lot. So if the "procedure" is not clear you ask the "governing body". 

Dude you need a holiday. Toss up some comp scores & don't stress :)

1 hour ago, avalanche said:

Dude you need a holiday. Toss up some comp scores & don't stress :)

Going somewhere warm for Thanksgiving holiday next weekend hopefully that helps. For scores I drop as many as I can and I help team mates get as many as they can but I there's only so many people I can bench with since we don't have a nice meet like you aussies do