HWBOT Community Forums

Remove Globals for 3DM01, 3DM03 Multi GPU?

There is an elephant in the room we definitely have to talk about. For multiple generations the single card category has been scoring more points than multi card stages. As usual there are two different views on this. Some people ask me to remove globals, others want to keep it.

Especially in 3DM2001 it's a bit on the edge because I know some people disable SLI for subtests to achieve higher results than with SLI. My personal view on things like this is usually: If we can't detect it, we don't ban it.

What do you guys think about it? Remove or keep?

Here comes the drama again and ohh, what a coincidence to come to this conversation right after OGS posted some scores. 

I assure you those scores were not easy to achieve and required a lot of testing and money in hardware.

It's probably easier for some to reject them than trying to even get a setup like this running.

Cheats can be done in any benchmark ( like our friend from Australia did with Port Royal).

As a naive person, I suspect that the timing of this being raised is just unlucky. ?

Even though we are on a tech world/hobby and changes are expected with the pace things move, I believe we can agree that the changes happening are in some cases a bit random and also too often (format changing annually at this point).

There is no way this wasn't foreseen 6 months ago when the initial changes came in and now opting for a mid-season change after people have spent $, time and ln2 to bench these.

01 is the perfect example as it should have never come back into the game for these exact reasons/concerns you mentioned.
Instead, you have other benchmarks that scale nicely (2x, 3x, 4x +)  that don't get points (on multi-gpu configs) due to low popularity.
This kicks off a never-ending loop where no points are awarded -> nobody benches these -> they wont become popular.

Edited by FireKillerGR
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, phil said:

Here comes the drama again and ohh, what a coincidence to come to this conversation right after OGS posted some scores. 

I assure you those scores were not easy to achieve and required a lot of testing and money in hardware.

It's probably easier for some to reject them than trying to even get a setup like this running.

Cheats can be done in any benchmark ( like our friend from Australia did with Port Royal).

It was actually Splaves submission that reminded me of it. But as I pointed out: My intention is just to get feedback. If you guys all want to keep it - totally fine to me. Just want to get some opinions :)

17 minutes ago, der8auer said:

It was actually Splaves submission that reminded me of it. But as I pointed out: My intention is just to get feedback. If you guys all want to keep it - totally fine to me. Just want to get some opinions :)

Saying "Some people ask me to remove globals, others want to keep it " got me thinking it was not your idea.

Anyway, we got some decisions at the start of the season and I think we should stick with them till the end of the season.

Edited by phil

No it's not my "idea" because for me personally it's not relevant. I had guys during the Hardware-Reaktor-Reloaded event ask me about this and also others over WhatsApp and Discord. 

Instead of talking to few people in private I always think it's better to have an open discussion with more opinions. And it's pretty simple: If you all want to keep it, we keep it :) 

• Like 2

My 2 cents go to keep globals, but only for benchmarks that DO NOT scale from disabling SLI/CF which can be hidden by just reenabling before screenshot etc. On the other hand this could discourage members who are specifically benching multi-GPU setups that are getting more and more rare nowadays.

The value of points has been massively diluted with recent algorithm changes (talk about 200% inflation).
And overclocking couldn't be any less relevant for practical consumers.
So might as well do nothing (i.e. keep) as it wouldn't matter.

just asking then, it is okay to run a single card through the entire bench then enable CFX because you cant detect it right?

For 3 card I can disable CFX and run a 290x on ln2 and then just enable the 295x2 at the end?

I just got 207pts for running 01 on a nearly stock GTX590 and pifast is worth 170 or something seems odd to me. Would you say the points are representative of more competition = more reward? seems not

I think unless it scales then it's pointless. 3d11 sure 3x 4x points go up, 01 03 not so much.

If you keep it it's just worth too much. 

Please no one complain when I drop all the golds this week using these "tweaks"

• Crew
4 hours ago, Splave said:

just asking then, it is okay to run a single card through the entire bench then enable CFX because you cant detect it right?

For 3 card I can disable CFX and run a 290x on ln2 and then just enable the 295x2 at the end?

I just got 207pts for running 01 on a nearly stock GTX590 and pifast is worth 170 or something seems odd to me. Would you say the points are representative of more competition = more reward? seems not

I think unless it scales then it's pointless. 3d11 sure 3x 4x points go up, 01 03 not so much.

If you keep it it's just worth too much. 

Please no one complain when I drop all the golds this week using these "tweaks"

Well that's pretty lame in my book, that one would even hide what they actually did. But again you are only focussing on you and your 7.2Ghz CPU buddies, there are many others that enjoy this bench and run it legit on older hardware and they want it to stay.

My 5 cents If you really have an issue with the benchmark and especially the points it gets than just don't bench it Allen. Though it tickles doesn't it? ?

3 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

Well that's pretty lame in my book, that one would even hide what they actually did. But again you are only focussing on you and your 7.2Ghz CPU buddies, there are many others that enjoy this bench and run it legit on older hardware and they want it to stay.

My 5 cents If you really have an issue with the benchmark and especially the points it gets than just don't bench it Allen. Though it tickles doesn't it? ?

No I said I'm going to bench it like everyone else. Just making sure that was allowed. 

And the way the points are alloted you have to bench it. Why work hard on competitive benches ? 

Edited by Splave

Guest hammertone
6 hours ago, Splave said:

Another aspect is cost. Members like me have easy over 100 gpu's from the old days doing scores.

Reward on the old 3D benches it high right now. With the point shift upwards recently. To keep even sucky overclockers interested to submit scores.

59 minutes ago, hammertone said:

Another aspect is cost. Members like me have easy over 100 gpu's from the old days doing scores.

Reward on the old 3D benches it high right now. With the point shift upwards recently. To keep even sucky overclockers interested to submit scores.

The cost to buy gtx590 and r9 295x2 is $300 each and it has zero resale ability so the cost is not really a great value for me.  I could bin 10 12900ks for that loss worst case scenario