HWBOT Community Forums

AIO in bucket of ice allowed?

Lays

Am I allowed to ice-bucket my AIO in Rookie, or does that count as extreme cooling and put me in enthusiast?

I ask because I just did a CB run on my 4770k with an ice bucket for my radiator, and I don't want to submit it unless I'm allowed to.

I have a screenshot with temps and also a picture of my radiator in the bucket of ice if that helps any.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Yeah, you're totally fine. It's still water cooling. Even using a water chiller is considered water cooling to my knowledge.

pretty sure you are fine. extreme cooling is only for those using dice, ln2, or liquid HE

Yeah, you're totally fine. It's still water cooling. Even using a water chiller is considered water cooling to my knowledge.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

YES. Yes it is fair. Everyone can do it for free. Soon enough some guy will complain that others run dangerously high voltages and that isn't fair. Be reasonable please.

YES. Yes it is fair. Everyone can do it for free. Soon enough some guy will complain that others run dangerously high voltages and that isn't fair. Be reasonable please.

I actually got that back in D9 Fatty days :D

Saaya wanted me to shut up about suggesting high VDIMM, good old days, good old days.

Totally fair and I wish more of my teams water cooling guys would give iced water benching a try.

I like the open loop method.

Buy a aquarium pump submersible kind, or a sumbersible pond pump they have huge head power.

Then put it in a bucket I put some filter around the inlet so that no ice blocks the inlet pipe and cover the entire thing in a few Kg of ice.

Two litre water, or just enough water to cover the pump and ready to go.

The outlet of the pump goes to your water block of course and the outlet is just pouring over the ice in your bucket. This is a bit like a bong benching set up.

Good fun and because the pumps are so cheap you can put salt or other stuff in the water to get the temp even lower.

Sort of like this.

http://www.midlifegamers.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1311&p=13431

I have seen many people using chillers in the water section. It is still water. You will only automatically move to a different class when you use a Single Stage, a Cascade, Dry Ice, Ln2 or He.

http://forums.midlifegamers.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1558 Here is a nice thread by one of our team mates showing how he converted a Chiller to run below zero.

You can ask him directly about the process and how it worked in the thread. :)

bunnyextraction. It's allowed until its a phase cooler or dice.

Don't like people with chillers? Get one yourself and quit whining.

Your post seem to be getting constantly more aggressive, tone it down a bit.......

On a side note I'm pretty sure the guy is right, when it starts going sub zero I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do it anymore. You could argue that the water chillers are phase coolers anyway since they are effectively cooling using the same sort of system, but we know that not to be true. What's important is we draw the line somewhere, can't have a waterloop at -20c with treated water or other coolant and still call it water cooling, becomes a bit of a joke then....

On a side note I'm pretty sure the guy is right, when it starts going sub zero I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do it anymore. You could argue that the water chillers are phase coolers anyway since they are effectively cooling using the same sort of system, but we know that not to be true. What's important is we draw the line somewhere, can't have a waterloop at -20c with treated water or other coolant and still call it water cooling, becomes a bit of a joke then....

Pic won't tell you temp. Prove it's sub zero or not.

That's really the issue.

bunnyextraction. It's allowed until its a phase cooler or dice.

Don't like people with chillers? Get one yourself and quit whining.

Wow keep calm guy, i'm not whining at what ever. Take a sit.

ObscureParadox followed my think that as you reach sub-zero temps, it's extreme cooling.

Yes chiller is watercooling, but i don't see people use it as a H24 system like a classic WC so ...

It's one of the many flaws in Hwbot rules.

• Administrators

Lol, Matt - some might whine, other know for 5 years now that it is very cold at siberia, Alaska or part of romania^^ - EL is big joke and who takes this too seriously should upgrade to cold and get chances even if he doesn´t like that :)