HWBOT Community Forums

ULTIMATE ASUS MATRIX PLATINUM GTX 980 TI AC/LN2 TIPS

Did the mods today. The cold throttling is a very small resistor and hard to desolder (for me at least). I suggest just use a good pair of tweezers to pull it off.

Anyway, what should the power consumption in GPU-Z read after shorting the power limit resistors? Mine reads about 20% idle at 1500MHz in "3D always mode". Around 62% at load. Seems high to me. I've had problems before getting the solder to stick on the power limit resistors. They are slippery :) Just wondering if I need to resolder...

Regarding mod - this one is pretty easy. Just buy a soldering station with a hot air (even a cheap one for 50-60 euro) and it will be very easy ;) pulling off components might destroy soldering points and take even a trace with a soldering point. Believe me you don't want this. Just put some soldering grease on the resistor, warm it up with hot air and touch with soldering iron for few seconds and move soldering iron with a resistor and it will just be perfectly unsoldered. You are pushing great in terms of OCing so to be complete try to learn a bit more about soldering - practice on some dead hw. Friendly advice :)

Regarding GPU-Z - I am not 100% sure right now, but from what I remember it will always shows power consumption at 20% in my case.

Edited by Xtreme Addict

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need the power limit mod because of the power limit, rather it's a problem of very high current going through those two resistors. At full speeds it's easily 30A through each and 4.5W of power that needs to be dissipated if you don't short them. Also there's additional input voltage droop which is less than ideal.

Little bit of ambient pre testing before cold.

3x sammy cards, 67/74/79 asic. All tested with GT2 Vant. Stock vGPU.

Core: Mem:

67 - 1520mhz (42 deg) 2265mhz@1.78v (didn't like higher vmem. Heavy artifact on start & system lock)

74 - 1500mhz (52 deg) 2290+mhz@1.8v

79 - 1510mhz (47deg) 2310+mhz@1.8v

Being a 3d on cold noob, i'm guessing the first is the one to run with....?

Found a 980TI Strix at a gamer and ofc snagged it for the name of overclocking after he told he had 84.9% ASIC :D Quick test on water can do 1560/2160 stock vgpu/stock vram with ln2 bios.It is v2 with ASP controller and Samsung Ram,pretty much a Matrix without Gpu Tweak voltage control

Little bit of ambient pre testing before cold.

3x sammy cards, 67/74/79 asic. All tested with GT2 Vant. Stock vGPU.

Core: Mem:

67 - 1520mhz (42 deg) 2265mhz@1.78v (didn't like higher vmem. Heavy artifact on start & system lock)

74 - 1500mhz (52 deg) 2290+mhz@1.8v

79 - 1510mhz (47deg) 2310+mhz@1.8v

Being a 3d on cold noob, i'm guessing the first is the one to run with....?

Go for highest memory clock.

Anyone here know if I'll be needing to do the cold throttling mod for just DICE? I should be benching it on cold once I get a 6700k.

1550|2250 seems to be real easy on it on water @ around 30c load, 73.8% asic.

Hoping on DICE I can get it up towards 1700-1750.

Edited by Lays

Redid the powermods today. Got some flux to and learned about that :) It helps alot. Also used 1,5 mm2 solid copper wire instead of just solderblob. 1,5 mm2 is probably overkill but now it's properly done at least.

After proper mods, 6% power at load on air:

guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=T7ruCPl0nF62%2bvPEP6omNjKLlD1CvdbgRkS2Qzaozk0%3d&docid=06942e6cfbd664595af2b563acd8fbe28

Tried my card on LN2 last weekend at the MLG bench meet. Used Unigine Heaven Xtreme as I was benching for the Pro OC cup. Had a lot of trouble, card wouldn't do any more than 1850 core. No matter volts or temps.

Tried it again yesterday, this time testing possible clocks with Fire strike GT1. Did 2100 core pretty easily. Then back to Heaven again and...max 1850! Any ideas what's causing this? Or just unlucky and that's the way this card behaves in Heaven? From the top scores it seems Heaven and Fire Strike should be able to do about the same clocks.

Been using AX1500 for gpu only, or 8 pack psu for whole system (z170).

Crash occur with screen lock or black screen. Task manager works to access error message from Unigine. After closing error message and disable and reenable gpu in device manager everything works again.

Just thought I'd post an issue with that BIOS Elmor posted on here with better memory OC.

If you try to do GPUPI or any GPU compute benchmarks / folding, the card goes into P8 state for some reason, and downclocks to 405 mhz.

I just flashed the stock BIOS back on, and now it's working fine. Figured I should let everyone know incase they have problems like I did.

Edited by Lays