HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero / FORMULA / IMPACT / DARK HERO / EXTREME LN2 OC Guide

@Wizerty I benched recently a 3900x which had cb -120, same d6 and sometimes some weird codes ....no matter what fclk i tried from 1500 to 933, nothing changed, cpu was quite good on air doing cinebench 4500@1.35v on ambient temps no special cooling. My 3800x doesn't like -160 zone so i either boot -150 or -170. I guess the cpu's with disabled cores have some issues or it is a matter of luck to find a cpu not having issues on cold.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alex@ro said:

@Wizerty I benched recently a 3900x which had cb -120, same d6 and sometimes some weird codes ....no matter what fclk i tried from 1500 to 933, nothing changed, cpu was quite good on air doing cinebench 4500@1.35v on ambient temps no special cooling. My 3800x doesn't like -160 zone so i either boot -150 or -170. I guess the cpu's with disabled cores have some issues or it is a matter of luck to find a cpu not having issues on cold.  

Yeah, and only 1 PCI slot.. I will try this cpu on an other MB and see if it react the same.

Tks for your feedback

Because your CPU don't have CB...

My 3700X have no CB, no CBB, but my 3600X does... and I think there is nothing to do. 
I spend more than 10hour on cold to try to "fix it" but can't find any solution.
On MSI I don't have the CBB because I can plug VGA on other PCI-E line to avoid "D6" problem.
On both AMD and MSI my 3600X have -170 CB

Decrease FCLK help only if the CB come from FCLK... if CB come from PCI-E or Core or whatever, lower FCLK have no impact

-3600X CB on both ASUS and MSI
-3700X no CB on both ASUS and MSI
I guess it's easy to find the solution ...change the CPU ?

I have similar on my 3900X. Basically, every reboot down to -38 to retrain and boot. Is a lot of torching and wasted litres of LN2. 

Any lower temp would 8d code on reboot. Using my Single Stage is futile, as -58 is a bad mem training zone. 

I found the same with FCLK, make no difference as the big is training, not FCLK related. 

My last session was on 1001 bios which wasn’t good for CB for me. Same CBB behaviour on the C6H. In time I hope there is a fix to help. Will retry on 0050 bios on next fill. 

On gigabyte board, with some mem settings could reboot with -150 to -170. But didn’t spend a lot of time on it.

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:21 PM, Wizerty said:

Haha, happy to see that it helped you ;)

• For french guy you have all setting in this video  * here * :
  • For "other" you can still look at this it but without audio ?

You can try Cas14 or more MHz also but was not booting for me. This is 1 CCD CPU, with 2CDD you will have better result. Tight SUB et TER as much as possible, I ran out of time so there is probably headroom to improve it.

I also did a 7h long stream for XOC, video should be export soon.

---------

BTW, I have really strange behaviour with my 3600x and IMPACT (0050), :

• If I boot between 20 and -68 I have a CB at -69°C and MB shut down
  • If I try to boot OR re-boot from -70 to -170 I have "d6" code and no display

So the ONLY way I find is to boot and re-boot EVERY TIME at -69°C, not -68 neither -70 but -69... is really boring.

I tried :

• FCLK from 1200 to 1600 but no change on CBB (only on CB)
  • VDDG from 1.15 to 1.2
  • CPU ratio / voltage
  • Stock mem or 4800c15 mem
  • LN2 mod and LN2 profil

Safedisk & Alex@ro did you got same problem  ? Any idea ?

20191013-102138.thumb.png.bed263654f492b21d1e24af55b53eedd.png

CINEBENCH_R15_CPU_4352.thumb.jpg.4dbf9dbd1392f6cb610945c155d239a5.jpg

Geekbench_3_Multi-Core_78214.thumb.jpg.07a763cc8e0709c997243f121569f429.jpg

I tested 0050 bios.

no cb. Very good for me nice bios. 

If you stop at -150 to -180 temp code cc, press reset button 2~5 try.

Edited by safedisk
  • Like 4

On 10/18/2019 at 7:17 AM, Toolius said:

Amazing numbers guys :) 
Does anyone have bios 0057 for the crosshair 8 hero guys ? 

Would highly appreciate it if someone could share that bios please ! 
Have heard it makes a big difference with CB and CBB ?

Thanks in advance again guys :) 

1103 uploaded bios
You can download

Edited by safedisk

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday @Dancop and I did benched the 3950 on ln2.  We used the Impact with Bios 015. We encounterd a lot of issues with booting  at low tempretures.

First of all our Cpu had no CB. The CB was introduced later on as we tried to rise the fclk. So the cpu had fclk cb (I will call it fCB to easy distinguish between the two.)

Since there was no CB we got to full pot an ran 5.5 @ 1,7 set. This worked pretty good.  As we tried to ran more than 5.5 the screen got black instantly and from there on our issues with booting at cold began. Retry and safe boot didnt work. After some trying we figured out that we could boot at -103 if we cleared cmos. That worked every time!!! 

But that was pretty anoying because all the settings where gone... If we wanted to Boot without cmos clear we had to heat up to -57.  This cbb seems to be the same as mentioned from @Wizerty and @KaRtA 

We didnt find any voltages to avoid that cbb.

--> it seems that there are some Auto voltages which are set after cmos clear which help booting at lower temps! But we did not figure out which exaclty. If anyone does please write it here in the forum so it can be written in the guide!!!

Then we tried to gain permormance by increasing our FCLK. We found that the cpu could hardly do more than 933. Vddg was at 1.225. Further rising any voltages did not help.  The cpu had fCB at -177 . 

We then stopped testing because we wanted to bench my 2080ti kingping on ln2. 

So to get to a little conclusion: The cbb seems to be an asus problem since some of you mention that on msi boards it dosent occur. Also @GamersNexus did a 4h livestream benching the 3950x on the msi godlike with a lot of easy rebooting at -160.  

I hope the issue with the asus boards will be fixed. If somone finds a way to avoid it please let us  all know! 

I had not much experience with LN2 and Ryzen yet, only once on C8I and Ryzen 7 3800X. On my site no CBB and CB. I had manually set only PLL 1.8 voltage to 2.1V, CPU vcore+SOC manually and FCLK clock. Of course digi+vrm, LLC, limits etc manually also.

But if I remember right, I did not use LN2 jumper to ON. But I was afraid and most time I was around -150C. But reboots/starts worked fine.

8 minutes ago, flanker said:

I had not much experience with LN2 and Ryzen yet, only once on C8I and Ryzen 7 3800X. On my site no CBB and CB. I had manually set only PLL 1.8 voltage to 2.1V, CPU vcore+SOC manually and FCLK clock. Of course digi+vrm, LLC, limits etc manually also.  

Ln2 mode did also set pll to 2.1 and some other voltages were changed to. 

8 minutes ago, flanker said:

But if I remember right, I did not use LN2 jumper to ON. But I was afraid and most time I was around -150C. But reboots/starts 

That's interesting. We enabled the jumper and also ln2 mode in bios. 

It looks like some voltages the ln2 mode enables make it worse. 

Which bios did you use? 

I got through most of my issues with the right voltages set, waiting for the reboots and not changing memory once going. Most of the time, can reboot at -170 ish, if it's lower than that I can't reboot until -140. vDDG over 1.18v is your first issue. Some chips just have a really shit CB that you cant get around, and other than that using the correct bios is the biggest thing to check (0050 and 0015 are best). Its a tough platform, you will waste a lot of LN2 and time until you experience the bugs, but once you now, it's quite easy past that point.

But, memory must be trained correct or you will have to warm to -38 each time. Anytime you change memory when it needs a retrain, I found this had to happen. If you haven't set the memory and FCLK right before going cold, you will have a myriad of problems.

I wrote in a review here, may or may not help, needs a little still from my last session but will get the gist:

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/rog-crosshair-viii-impact-x570-review-and-guide.1272265/

• Like 3

On 12/18/2019 at 1:43 PM, der8urner said:

Sunday @Dancop and I did benched the 3950 on ln2.  We used the Impact with Bios 015. We encounterd a lot of issues with booting  at low tempretures.

First of all our Cpu had no CB. The CB was introduced later on as we tried to rise the fclk. So the cpu had fclk cb (I will call it fCB to easy distinguish between the two.)

Since there was no CB we got to full pot an ran 5.5 @ 1,7 set. This worked pretty good.  As we tried to ran more than 5.5 the screen got black instantly and from there on our issues with booting at cold began. Retry and safe boot didnt work. After some trying we figured out that we could boot at -103 if we cleared cmos. That worked every time!!! 

But that was pretty anoying because all the settings where gone... If we wanted to Boot without cmos clear we had to heat up to -57.  This cbb seems to be the same as mentioned from @Wizerty and @KaRtA 

We didnt find any voltages to avoid that cbb.

--> it seems that there are some Auto voltages which are set after cmos clear which help booting at lower temps! But we did not figure out which exaclty. If anyone does please write it here in the forum so it can be written in the guide!!!

Then we tried to gain permormance by increasing our FCLK. We found that the cpu could hardly do more than 933. Vddg was at 1.225. Further rising any voltages did not help.  The cpu had fCB at -177 . 

We then stopped testing because we wanted to bench my 2080ti kingping on ln2. 

So to get to a little conclusion: The cbb seems to be an asus problem since some of you mention that on msi boards it dosent occur. Also @GamersNexus did a 4h livestream benching the 3950x on the msi godlike with a lot of easy rebooting at -160.  

I hope the issue with the asus boards will be fixed. If somone finds a way to avoid it please let us  all know! 

You conclusion is wrong for sure. First of all i benched few chips, some did had weird issues on cold, some ran full pot. Secondly in order to compare and have a conclusion you must have same overclocker and same cpu then you try both cards and see any difference if any. And third of all which is also most important. AMD's Agesa is like a blackbox, vendors cannot tweak it like they would see fit because it is hard-locked, that is the reason safe mode does not work like on intel asus motherboard, that's the reason why when you install a new cpu you loose all bios settings and many other things.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...