HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT 2020 Make it great again Thread:

Leeghoofd

On 5/3/2020 at 12:15 PM, Leeghoofd said:

Ive been staring at your proposal for the last 10 minutes, so you want to have the benchmarks sorted alphabetically or per software developer ?

My plea is that the list of tests should not be in random order. (for example: "3DMark - Fire Strike Ultra" Then  "Catzilla - 1440p" then "GPUPI v3.3 - 1B" then again "3DMark - Time Spy"). Detailed functions need to be thought

I think sorting should be divided into two levels:

1.  Alphabetical names of test packages
    1. Then Name of specific tests in the package
    2. Then Name of specific tests in the package
    3. Then Name of specific tests in the package
  2.  Alphabetical names of test packages
  3. And ect....

This logic is already implemented on the page with the list of tests: https://hwbot.org/benchmarks or https://hwbot.org/benchmarks/videocard  - It is very convenient! Especially when you opened the test package and started taking tests... Then the next package...

Res HW page is used as much as possible during the session... 3DMark/Catzilla random list is not very convenient!

Sorry for my basic English

2020-05-03 14-08-55.png

On 2/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, jab383 said:

As predicted, the no-league crusaders are out in force.  They're entitled to their opinion and to express them.  Personally, I agree with Don Dan - we should keep the leagues.  This speaks to the need for a vote with wide participation.

Note that one of the features of Benchmate is monitoring CPU temperature during the benchmark run.  Perhaps temperature achieved - above/below 0C - could be used to place members in the proper league?

Completely agree that we need the different leagues. Yes its difficult to catch a Formula 1 team cheating or the continuous doping cases around the world but the fact is also that being able to compare with people who relatively have a similar setup actually helps build the interest in OC-ing. Noting on day one of a new processor release that all world records are broken by professional teams might have an interest for the core few who then have a target to try take down the next 2 months but it does not encourage the new or general mass of OCers. It probably just mean that their scores will be 0.01 of something never achievable.  I joined and took part in the rookie roundups and still remember ending up 3rd place in what 2014. Atleast i could compete with people who had similar skill level. Now i keep checking what cooling the next guy up the rank has on each spot as i know if its LN2 then i have reached the max ( usually as i have taken down some of those too with my Dry ice.) This goes for any sport. The lightning Bolt might have a world record but he sure dont have the Swedish 100 meter record nor the county record or my old school record from grades 3 - 7. Some other guys have beaten those and that is perfectly ok as it was in similar circumstances, though now i am sure they have better surface on the track and shoes that does half the running for them ? and i cant call that cheating.

The combination of leagues and competitions  with frequency set as we have now is great. I use the competitions to see how close i can get to the real guru's in fine tweaking. Especially the ones that submit scores during the competition and not just the last few seconds help me improve my own scores in the competition first and then when i let my hardware loose separately on the chiller or dry ice I can hopefully improve my hardware scores and maybe a global or two after the new found learning in the process. Even more fun when some of the Guru's actually noticed the score and give words of encouragement before showing how its done ? that's what builds and refresh a community.

When I cooled my computers with air and basic AIO its one set of limitations and cost and maybe even dunking the pump in ice water. This means rookies and enthusiasts can have fun also take part in the competitions if getting reasonable points for being 50% above the normal hardware settings and getting reasonably higher scores that is a great achievement.

With the chiller down to +3 or so its another. I use this most of the time now but the electricity bill looks thereafter ? about 200 USD a month just for my computer stuff.

With the dry ice at 70 USD for 20 kg which give me good fun on a weekend on Z390 platform or half that time on the X299 and i might be lucky and get a few 30 pointers here and there.

I would have loved to go on LN2 but simple fact is it would be illegal to bring it in to the condo and am sure many others would face same restrictions around the globe. But yes i keep my hardware so maybe one day hehe when i move ill find a more conducive place for exactly that reason. Before that sorry no Formula 1 competing for me.

Meanwhile its great that its a global reach on this OC community as so far i have not found any real community in Philippines nor Uganda  and it seems the one in Sweden consists of RAUF and....

For pensioners like me who don't visit the site daily, it could be nice to have a dropdown option to show the top scores not only from the last 24 hrs, but also from the last 7 / 30 / 365 days. Should be easy implement unless site was coded by a complete retard.

Edited by TaPaKaH
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can see that the current G.skill memory challenge is quite interesting as it looks at having a dual channel fully occupied and stable for more than just for validation. Meanwhile I think that on the hwbot itself there is too few benchmark ideas to actually use for memories (while they are often the key to getting a top score in benchers). Meanwhile it could actually be made more interesting without adding new benchmarks.

Why not have different segments for DDR2,3,4 as in 1 channel, 2 channel, 3 channel and 4 channel.  It seems to me that the more channels we add the more difficult it get to high frequencies. 

Edited by Matsglobetrotter
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Crew
On 5/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, kim55 said:

My plea is that the list of tests should not be in random order. (for example: "3DMark - Fire Strike Ultra" Then  "Catzilla - 1440p" then "GPUPI v3.3 - 1B" then again "3DMark - Time Spy"). Detailed functions need to be thought

I think sorting should be divided into two levels:

1.  Alphabetical names of test packages
    3. Then Name of specific tests in the package
  2.  Alphabetical names of test packages
  3. And ect....

This logic is already implemented on the page with the list of tests: https://hwbot.org/benchmarks or https://hwbot.org/benchmarks/videocard  - It is very convenient! Especially when you opened the test package and started taking tests... Then the next package...

Res HW page is used as much as possible during the session... 3DMark/Catzilla random list is not very convenient!

Sorry for my basic English

Benchmarks are sorted on the benchmark list and also on the submission page. 3D is arranged,, 2D is in progress.

Visible on the uat.hwbot.org testpage. (caution test site is very sloooooooow)

3dsubbenches.jpg

3dsubbenches2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is anybody else missing seasonal/career points? This has been an on going issue with my points since March. I was going through my profile the other day and adding up my seasonal points and for 2020 scores I added up 3,193.5 but in the rankings I'm only seeing 2066.4?? Am I missing something? Is there something Im not understanding or possibly overlooking? The same when I add up all my scores I'm 600-700 points low when I add up my career points.

• 3 weeks later...

Btw, competition points are no longer counted on career ranking or it's just one of the neverending bugs? I had the impression that top 10 competition results are taken into consideration on career ranking... I mean i can't see my gskill  lor galax or whatever online competition i won anywhere...?

• Thanks 1

• Crew

Don't think its a bug, its the way Frederik configured it last Time Alex

Career Ranking: 3,889.1 from 2007 - 2021

Top 30 global points 1,409.8

Top 60 hardware points 2,479.3

There are no Competition Points for Career ranking as I look at it... he pushed the active ranking , me and Websmile were not agreeing on the decision, but who are we...

59 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Don't think its a bug, its the way Frederik configured it last Time Alex

Career Ranking: 3,889.1 from 2007 - 2021

Top 30 global points 1,409.8

Top 60 hardware points 2,479.3

There are no Competition Points for Career ranking as I look at it... he pushed the active ranking , me and Websmile were not agreeing on the decision, but who are we...

Shitty idea.

Comp points SHOULD be included in career, otherwise it's not really a career ranking, just active.

Can this be fixed?

• Crew

As I mentioned on discord I'm already pretty pleased if we can manage in Q1 to get the normal ranking done and fix a lot of buggs in calculation. The coder is trying to figure out how everything is linked per benchmark, per user, per team. Not as easy as some think. We are discovering corpses in the closet once in a while. Deadlocks that date a few years back, stuff that never got fixed and we have no clue what it exactly triggers. So we need to find out on the UAT what it does and test everything step by step. Over and over again...

This is also the reason why in January there will be no competition whatsoever, just to give us more time to debug things...

I'll open a thread so you can chime in to give some ideas/pointers what we need to take into account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

Shitty idea.

Comp points SHOULD be included in career, otherwise it's not really a career ranking, just active.

Can this be fixed?

While I agree in principle that it would be a good way to reward a long and successful "career", it will never work. First of all, comp points were not introduced until a few years ago. Most likely the comps that date back to before comp points don't have the tier system set up to decide how many points they should get. Another reason is that old comp results are not always correct and most likely many competitions are not even in the database.

Then there is the problem that there are way fewer proper competitions now than a few years ago. How can anyone new to the game compete with that? 

Also, there is the problem with team competitions. You can join a team, submit a lousy score and then reap the points of the other team members efforts. After the comp you can leave the team again. I saw that happen when competition points were first introduced.

• Thanks 1

• Crew
25 minutes ago, Rauf said:

Also, there is the problem with team competitions. You can join a team, submit a lousy score and then reap the points of the other team members efforts. After the comp you can leave the team again. I saw that happen when competition points were first introduced.

One of the ideas was that a member should be at least a few months member of the team before the compo started. But like you said hard to verify or configure... Maybe best way to approach is indivual participation to a competition and exclude Team or Country Cups