HWBOT Community Forums

Rev3 Up and Running - Complaints, Ideas, Ramblings, Comments ... but no bugs

I dislike the new rev.

The Idea to give often benched Hardware more Points is basically not bad, but for example it's not worth to bench any Old hardware (e.g. Athlon 1200MHz)

If my Result is under the 3rd Rank, i just get 0,1PTS.

There is no Motivation to improve e.g. from Rank 20 to 10, because i will just get 0,1pts.

I like Benching old HW and in Rev3 its just a waste of time.

I lost the most of my Points, and if the System stays the same I think i will give up benching.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not quite, since it's about benching older hardware, those scores in the categories will be worth more due to increased popularity :D

Could be but if there are not enough people competing in this competition because of the fact that they wont get any special points for benching oldies, those categories wont get much popular...

Could be but if there are not enough people competing in this competition because of the fact that they wont get any special points for benching oldies, those categories wont get much popular...

If there's no competition, based on what are we supposed to hand out points then? It's easy to claim you're #1 if no one is competing :).

I dislike the new rev.

The Idea to give often benched Hardware more Points is basically not bad, but for example it's not worth to bench any Old hardware (e.g. Athlon 1200MHz)

If my Result is under the 3rd Rank, i just get 0,1PTS.

There is no Motivation to improve e.g. from Rank 20 to 10, because i will just get 0,1pts.

I like Benching old HW and in Rev3 its just a waste of time.

I lost the most of my Points, and if the System stays the same I think i will give up benching.

my team dropped 11 positions

Edited by gugle

the new rev. is total sh*t

how can it be, that you get the same among of point for an E8500 @ 3GHz and for an E8500 @ 5GHz. Why should i bench the Cpu? to get an absolutly senseless achievement. the point that in rev.2 just money makes the points(4xcf etc.) is now even so. you just get points with the newest/mainstream hardware.

i spend hour the find the best Cpu's on ebay und the right boards and now it's all for nothing. wath is the diffrent to spent 3-4 houres search von vmolt/boards etc. for old hardware than for new hardware?

your argument for splitting the wprime enchmark is so lame. in the toplist there where only in the Top20 servers and with the years and new multicore cpus there were a change in progress. so for pcmark05. split this benchmark bei HDD/ xp startup and not by Cores. an ssd makes more points than an doubled core number.

my recommendation is back to rev2. points algorithm and keep the splitting of the gpus and cpu( wprime - sockets; pcmark05 - hdd)

You are trying to make older categories more popular by making HWBOT OC Challange and at the same time you discourage to bench older stuff by lowering amout of points a lot. Now it's better to make one avarge Q6600 score than to pwn s370 categories with all available CPUs. Making 75 as max is very good idea, it now makes sens to bench popular stuff without LN2, but I don't really like idea of lowering points in older categories so much, older should be left as it was in rev.2. And if not this, then as someone said "instead of it just being 0.1 points after a certain rank it should go 1.5 1.3 1.1 0.9 etc." at least.

because the people who tend to have 1000+ submissions benched every PC they can find ;)

I see your point, but they usually ask me to oc their PC :) . Runing tests on those PCs would be a waste of time because it's either a too weak motherboard, or its cpu/vga that I already benched. So you see you don't get 1000 submissions by ocing every PC, it needs preparations finding best mbo, ram, cooling, hdd, windows etc for some socket, then buying alot of cpus and testing them. So it's not so expensive as benching new hardvare but it's alot more time consuming.

In rev2 "money invested" + "time consumtion" = "points" was the almost the same for new and old hardware but I have a feeling that in rev3 it's all about money = points

Why does only Gigabyte have a mbo achievement?

So to get the achievement I'll just delete(if that's possible in this rev) 20 submissions of s478 cpus achieved with p4c800 or ic7-max3 that now have 0.1 points and then I'll rebench without ocing anything on some crappy gigabyte mbo with via or sis chipset and I'll get the gigabyte achievement.

YUPI YEA!

On the achievements screen, for the people with lot's of them it says that they have more achievements than shown ( on my screen is says 9 ach. but lists only 6), usually the "I found the submit button" is missing, maybe some more are missing on the list.

Also why showing the "Just Try To Beat Me" ach. in progress if nobody even has the "In Need of More Hardware". It would be better if only one level of achievement isshown as in progress, its stupid to see all four ach. of "cups and medals" as in progress for someone who's got only one medal.

Why does only Gigabyte have a mbo achievement?

So to get the achievement I'll just delete(if that's possible in this rev) 20 submissions of s478 cpus achieved with p4c800 or ic7-max3 that now have 0.1 points and then I'll rebench without ocing anything on some crappy gigabyte mbo with via or sis chipset and I'll get the gigabyte achievement.

YUPI YEA!

Manufacturer-based achievements have been added as an extra 'thank you' towards our existing partners, MSI and Gigabyte. These are the two only vendors who are trying to make this website remain functional the way it is, so we feel that they deserve extra spotlight.

As we're still not running break-even, we hope of course that other vendors are willing to support us as well, which enable the achievements for them as well.

If there's no competition, based on what are we supposed to hand out points then? It's easy to claim you're #1 if no one is competing :).

Because of that you get not so much Points but not 0.1 !

If there are not so many Submissions those Submissions just dont get so much Points but there has to be a bottom limit so people are motivated to bench it...

The next Point is that the points shouldn´t decrease like 3; 2; 1 and the other 20 people just get 0.1 Points.

It should be like the 3;2,5;2 and so on....

The next point is that 0.1 Points for every score is just ironic to the effort some people have to be #1 because you can bench without tweaks on your 24/7 Sys. on stock-clock and still you get 0.1 Points...

Ive read through this thread and the other one and still dont get how the points work. Maye a quick cheat sheet or something could be posted?

Also I guess I will sell off my 4x5870s, 4 way board, w3570 etc and go back to 8800gtx's and c2d stuff. With the new point system the best spot will always be 1-2 generations behind the latest hardware.

55 pts for 5970 @ 03. That's not too bad...

Anyway, we understand you don't like this, we didn't expect everyone will be pleased with rev3. Remember we made the changes because the community complained about rev2, and we thought they had a valid point.

Feel free not to use hwbot any more, no hard feelings. It's the only way we will now we need the change the algorithm again. ;)

Oh I was looking on the 2x 5970 score of stummerwinter - a lot money and work is involved, it is one of the highes 03 all over (197k...) and it gives.....11.5 points...whereas 150-165.5 points (triple as much as 5970 @03!!!) are awarded for a "simple" SINGLE GPU WR....

I am one of thoose overclockers who simply buys what it takes to crush the big numbers - that is how overclocking was for years and hwbot wants to change it now???

Why not giving every class a 100 or 150 points, as EVERY WR in EVERY class is worth THE SAME - even if only 4 people compete this is a topnotch game and everybody has to put a lot effort into it...

What annoys me most is that hwbot is trying to judge which WR is worth more while everybody else who has been into this game for more than 5 years knows that every global WR is worth the same, no matter how much money was involved and how many people overall challenged this WR...

Do you think it is an achievement to be No. 89 of 150 and deserves to get a lot points for it??? Beeing No.89 you should get kicked in the nuts but for sure not get any points....

I think you simply focused too much on the average joe overclocker and forgot that this game should still be compatible for the "elite" overclockers using latest and best technology...I want 5970, you want to force me 5870 just because of your freakin' points systems if I want to see me in TOP20 / TOP10...now you force everybody wanting to climb up to buy single card GPU...see what you've done with your system? screwed up a wide range of high end stuph, limiting us to 5870...maybe you just forgot to rename yourself during all the other work - is this now "averagejoehardwarebotsinglegpucompetition"? wow until today I could never describe how it works here in one word...now I can :woot:

And yes massman you should do any maybe also move my posts right there ;)

most rewarding is benching with most popular hardware ? WTF ?

and if you have a WR with hardware you are the only one on the planet ?

You get NOTHING THEN ???

correction : 0.1point.

how is it possible the the global ranking,

place of the world now is not so important anymore ?

yust having the most popuilar hardware.

• Crew
I am one of thoose overclockers who simply buys what it takes to crush the big numbers - that is how overclocking was for years and hwbot wants to change it now???

Then you are in the crowd they want to realign... seems you are missing the point of the rev3 and are just sort of digusted that the cash yo put into it isn't as rewarding anymore. Those who were on top in REv 2 will still be in Rev3... points for the easy I have loads of cash to spend crowd will be less... this was really getting silly as those that were able to buy 5970's and a good CPU gained more than those that benched their a s s es of to get anywhere... it had to be corrected somehow...sometime... somewhere...

Give it some time it's it first day out, some things will prolly be adjusted on demand of the users... I enjoy overclocking for the fun of it, not for the points gained...

Edited by Leeghoofd

My 5870 benches saved the day for me and I am back to where I was with rev2, otherwise me too hate the new rev. though honestly its beneficial for money crunched ocers like me......

Massman, yes its about LN2 now, most of the time you cant get anywhere near points within popular category if you are not using some exotic cooling.........

Do you think it is an achievement to be No. 89 of 150 and deserves to get a lot points for it??? Beeing No.89 you should get kicked in the nuts but for sure not get any points.... )

Being no 89 of 150 will get you .1 points, so no. :)

I understand all your complaints, but look who is in the top 20 of the rev3 ranking. Is there anyone in there you think doesn't belong there? Now take the rev2 top 20 and I ask you the same question again.

Anyway, we will obviously not agree on the "no competition means few points" standpoint in rev3. Stummi's submission is awesome, I don't deny that.