HWBOT Community Forums

R5: Pro OC V2 - Pro OC Cup introduction

Massman

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's time, if we want to keep alive HWBOT, taking some changes.

I did not joke, when I said that we need to bring newcomers (overclockers), from gaming community, that's huge..... because gamers and overclockers has good affinity.

Also will be important to introducing benchmarks used in games, like Crysis, Metro, Far Cry, COD and others ...(1...2...3 benchs... need to think about it)

Hwbot also can ask for charge small fees or duties (payment that I don't know the name), will be better than donation.

I believe that giving USD 10 or USD 20 per month for those who like to overclock, and want to take more seriously the art of overclocking, there will no shortage and will help.

This is just my opinion.

As for the Pro League .. already ended.

I have not seen my name there, and I was transferred together Pro Overclockers (Kingpin, Andre, OC lab and others) to Extreme Overclockers League, and I believe this will be changed (do not know which list I will be, or whether I will be removed. lol ..)

To me, it's a pity to have fought so hard for nothing.

Maybe find partners... or even... or only compete in certain tournaments that I have hardware and/or interest.

I've been working a long time with the most powerful hardware available, and I have no interest in changing that ... for my point of view, I am waiting for Haswell and Titan and don't mind about old stuff or even Trinity... IGP... etc (please .. is only my way of view).

I am not talking is not fun to overclock old stuff... but I always looked for the highest score is possible without no limitations.

My season to benched AMD socket 939, E6600, GTX 280, HD 5870 ... has passed... I loved... but will keep looking for the new for Hwbot... and maybe... sometime for fun...take an old vhardmodded videocard to a overclocking session with friends.

I hope I can find some way to figure out a way to me... in the new HWBOT mode.

Edited by rbuass

so Pieter, obviously the rules for entering the overclockers league will change now right?

Team.AU doesnt have the time or resources to compete in the new Pro OC cup and we use engineering sample hardware, so will this be opened up and if so what are the implications for all the oc league guys? Or have we been discarded from HWBOT as a result of this Pro OC cup,

need an answer here please

need an answer here please

We discussed that internally few weeks ago and hopefully it's no problem if I answer this :D

Only real pro overclockers like vince, nick and andre who have 100% vendor support have to stay in the pro oc. Everybody else who is a "normal" overclocker can change back to OC-League.

We've seen that the OC League doesn't work.

lieeeeee :P

<3 OC league

Options were considered and arguments were given why some options made things needlessly complicated or would not have the positive effect some people think it would have. Vivi was still one of the youngest overclockers attending the latest MOA grand final, apart from JJJC, meaning the influx of new extreme guys is very, very, VERY low. I'm not sure how some of you guys think overclocking will "move forward", but the severe lack of new blood at the top rankings is a very, very big problem. And we're not talking about guys enlisted in companies - we're talking people like Splave, Rbuass or Xtreme Addict who try to climb their way up to the top with own funding. These are community members.

We've seen that the Pro OC League simply doesn't work. We've seen that the OC League doesn't work. So how on earth can you guys argue that keeping the Pro OC League is definitely the way forward?! That logic does not compute here. Most of you haven't spoken a hundred words about the Pro League since it kicked off, but now all of the sudden is the reason you bench and the only motivation to bench? C'mon, don't be rediculous.

As for the $$, what can I say. There's a simple economic reality that requires every single project, whether it's community-driven (look at the staff here!) or pure business (look at Futuremark), to have enough income to run and (god forbid) grow. Having a dedicated developer doesn't come for free, unless you all agree we should go back to last year where sometimes there were no bug-fixes in months due to a severe shortage in available development time. If I want to get more audience to spectate, obviously that is related to an increased economic activity in the overclocking eco-system. The eco-system is far bigger than just HWBOT or me, it's all the teams that are trying to get a review or test sample. It's the people that are organising events such as EOC or AOMC and trying to get funding. It's the people that reach out to vendors for sponsorship and help setting up an overclocking event. Of course, I want HWBOT to benefit from that increased economic activity - I would be stupid and irresponsible if I didn't - but that does not make this project any less community-driven. Any statement of such nature I find highly offensive, in fact. I know what I do and why I do it and money has, quite frankly, very little to do with it.

// yes, I'm typing this angry and disgusted //

It's quite simple. If this was a $$-driven website, you would not see anything like the Hardware Masters (99% old hardware), not a single Country Cup (no sponsors required), oldies such as 3DMark01 and Aquamark removed, not a single HWBOT OC Challenge and so on. The only thing that would matter is the latest 3D benchmark and nothing but paid overclocking results. Do you love your 3DMark01? We still rank, reward and write about it! Would a corporate $$-driven machine do that?

No, the rules for the OC League don't change. Latest generation ES is not allowed, because the community doesn't want those used in the rankings.

Pj i am sorry but seriously do you actually think this can become a spectator sport?

Lets be real here weve already seen the death of gooc and moa. why because this shit dont sell and the ROI is crap. We wil never have a following like gamers you are deluded if you think this is a good marketing strategy. Extreme OC is a niche HOBBY it will never be anything more. Reality check desktop mainbards will be obselete in 10 years everything is going mobile. You need to appeal to the mass market bring something and work on enthuisiast league ie gaming benchmarks. Leave extreme oc as it is. It will never be the tool for mass marketing and good ROI.

You have now alienated 80% of the extreme overclockers. We are the niche. We wil not make you rich. If you wan traffic start gaming orientated and review material. Extreme OC is not a viable marketing solution.

Please dont take this to heart. i really like you as a person and enjoy your company. Your a great guy.

The pro oc should had been there. In the pro oc league there were not only guys such as Andre and Vince with almost unlimited hw resources. There are also guys as phil who doesn't like to bench the old hw but at the same time they can't compete in the oc cup because of money, hw etc. What about them?

• Crew
Options were considered

by who? the HWBOT business team? when you asked for feedback, you were really just asking for validation of your idea, people gave you feedback, you ignore it ALL, full stop, no arguments, end of story

No, the rules for the OC League don't change. Latest generation ES is not allowed, because the community doesn't want those used in the rankings.

so teams like Team.AU OClab either choose the pro cup, or leave HWBOT, ok...

Only real pro overclockers like vince, nick and andre who have 100% vendor support have to stay in the pro oc. Everybody else who is a "normal" overclocker can change back to OC-League.

Oh so just push the pro league back into the oc league, and push back down all our rankings. Can i go back to enthusiast league while we're all moving around?

Pj i am sorry but seriously do you actually think this can become a spectator sport?

Lets be real here weve already seen the death of gooc and moa. why because this shit dont sell and the ROI is crap. We wil never have a following like gamers you are deluded if you think this is a good marketing strategy. Extreme OC is a niche HOBBY it will never be anything more. Reality check desktop mainbards will be obselete in 10 years everything is going mobile. You need to appeal to the mass market bring something and work on enthuisiast league ie gaming benchmarks. Leave extreme oc as it is. It will never be the tool for mass marketing and good ROI.

You have now alienated 80% of the extreme overclockers. We are the niche. We wil not make you rich. If you wan traffic start gaming orientated and review material. Extreme OC is not a viable marketing solution.

Please dont take this to heart. i really like you as a person and enjoy your company. Your a great guy.

can't say it any better - today is not a good day in overclocking...

The pro oc should had been there. In the pro oc league there were not only guys such as Andre and Vince with almost unlimited hw resources. There are also guys as phil who doesn't like to bench the old hw but at the same time they can't compete in the oc cup because of money, hw etc. What about them?

Me rbuass and others are compaining about this a long time now but massman doesn't seem to care.

Seeing the Pro cup and knowing that other Greek overclockers are not willing to leave oc league and form a Pro team,I can't see myself joining a Pro cup.Teaming up with other country Pro overclockers doesn't seem an option too.

I am very disapointed with HWBOT.

I really like the art of overclocking, and since I was involved lots of time with Hwbot, I would like to say some things to be consider.

First... Massman is a very good guy... regardless he can take wrong decision... because everyone can be wrong.

I am sure he though about to the community.... and he has a good intention, but sometimes this wrong decision can be very bad to hwbot future.

- Consider that in all competitors... you will see a ranking.

That's natural from human being... To look and fight to be better....and climb.

Tenis, Boxe, Surf, etc etc etc... so... right now... the Pro OC are no more ranked.

In this new way, if you have a "Winner Team", the 5 guys will be ranked at what place??? Who will be the number #1, #2, #3, ...

Don't you think it will desencourage completely some OCCkers?

- I love Spi, 3DM03, 01 and old benchmarks, but you can be sure, if Hwbot keep pre historic benchmarks, Hwbot will not be alive for a long time (please understand I am not talking to remove this bench...but just consider in separate place).

Hwbot need to follow the tendency;

Since desktop are changing fast it scenary, smartphones, tablets, netbooks, notebooks are taking part of this... and in a near future, you will only see gaming machines, enthusiast machines and professional machines as well.

Gaming marketing still growing.... and company like Riot, Valve, Blizzard (giants, that development games) still investing hard in new games (you can see crysis 3 & Titan).

So... add gaming benchmarks (like crysis and few others), also Fire Strike, 3D11, Unigine... and keep AM3, 01 in a separate "old school" categorie... because it is really boring to newcomers and noot awake intersted new OCckers.

You can insist in keep Wprime (example) or PCMark 05 (OMG)... but it is really boring to 99,9% of the people.... instead gaming community, that's huge, will really like to follow and be part from a crysis 3 OC contest (example)... and this same guys can be moved also to 3DMark11... Fire Strike... and sure... to the league (Hwbot)... and maybe, some few guys will also bench old school.

More focus in pre historic benchs = more short is Hwbot life (I think the only old bench still have a FEW intersted people, is CPUZ, that I do not consider as benchmark and is 90% lucky binned CPU and 10% skill... so people talk... OMG 9 Ghz was reached!!! with a lazy AMD CPU that people don't know... has a pathetic performance to work at 9 Ghz and can lose to a 2500K at 5 Ghz).

- As I told... I believe that we need to have separate in 2 categories... (not pro, enthusiast and so on)... I mean other thing.

a) Who really care and worry about OC

b) simple visitors or casual OCCker

To people that wants to go to a), as for to pay a lit bit of money... so... this way hwbot can get some resources to it development and to keep alive.

Thats no sense to think that Hwbot can survive for free.

USD 10 per month, will not miss in the life of people that really care OC.... and it can be mandatory to keep the overclocker ranked.

So... if you have 10 x 10% of the overclockers... you just have 10 x 3000 USD = 30K USD per month... what really will help us to keep alive and keep always updating.

I don't know if I am right in this item, but me and my friends are not worry to contribute with a Lit bit of money to be ranked and believe hwbot earn some help to be keeped us ranked and opened to send scores.

Please understand that HWBOT need to be UPDATED, and no to have Pro League removed.

Like me... regardless all, the Pro overclockers inspired me to be better step by step.

Sorry the broken english.

Ah.... please... don't FORGET.

DO NOT earn points in new hardwares... AT LEAST 2 months after to be launched.

So... you will not see new records from people that have no one cent of effort... like happened with GTX580, AMD 7970, Sandy Bridge and so on.... and now... with Titan..

What fair about just introduced a new card that only 0,01% of the overclockers can be in their hands

So... everybody can work and have time to get one in their hands

;)

Edited by rbuass

Once nothing is gonna change at least for now, the only thing that I'm curious to see are the teams.

To me it seems like a vendors cup. Asus team, Evga team, Asrock team etc. I don't think that someone can make a national team. That's why there's country cup. The same for the existing teams. Each team counts more than 5 persons and team cup is already running.

We discussed that internally few weeks ago and hopefully it's no problem if I answer this :D

Unless you use ES hardware.

Not that my personal issues really make a difference as far as overall HWBot changes go, but I cannot go back to OC-league because I use ES CPUs (and GPUs; though they can't be detected, I won't try and hide that). I see no reason at all to replace them with retail versions just to be able to be ranked in the OC league. I'm not that heavily into competing but still enjoy trying to get what I can out of what I've got to see where the scores fall. Surely others feel the same way and I think that's what pro was getting at - they use ES like I do so our individual ranking will just be....nothing.

This is obviously not going to change, so don't consider this a complaint to try and change anything. Just trying to help flesh out the answer to pro's question.

EDIT - Also, yes, I know the choice not to purchase retail replacements for ES chips/GPUs is a choice. It's not much of one because I couldn't afford to do it TBH, but it is a choice nonetheless. Doesn't mean I like having to make the choice. :P

...and so my trip into the Ether begins.

Worldwide: n/a

National: n/a

Team: n/a

Edited by hokiealumnus

Once nothing is gonna change at least for now, the only thing that I'm curious to see are the teams.

To me it seems like a vendors cup. Asus team, Evga team, Asrock team etc. I don't think that someone can make a national team. That's why there's country cup. The same for the existing teams. Each team counts more than 5 persons and team cup is already running.

We have a team in the works and its diverse as fluck, multi vendor affiliation and multi national positioning :P