HWBOT Community Forums

Add Port Royal to the Gpu Benchmarks?

3urner

Hey guys I just wanted to ask why Port Royal is not listet in the 3dmark benchmark list?

I am just wondering because its a frequent benchmark with really much attention from Pro overcklockers like @Luumi who broke the 13 record or @Splave who held the WR with his Titan for a long time. Also Kingping and Steponz gave the benchmark quite the attention with their livestreams.

I thought it would be nive if Port Royal would be addet to the list of benchmarks.

The one who can develop hwbot does not have the time or interest to do so. So hwbot is stuck.

It's not just a missing 3d benchmark. The whole list of benchmarks is so outdated it is getting rediculus. I think 75% of all benchmarks are really all about single or dual threaded cpu performance. How relevant is that today? And then there is that thing that the most interesting platform in 20 years is not even possible to bench in a legit way by mainstream users... 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, der8urner said:

Hey guys I just wanted to ask why Port Royal is not listet in the 3dmark benchmark list?

I am just wondering because its a frequent benchmark with really much attention from Pro overcklockers like @Luumi who broke the 13 record or @Splave who held the WR with his Titan for a long time. Also Kingping and Steponz gave the benchmark quite the attention with their livestreams.

I thought it would be nive if Port Royal would be addet to the list of benchmarks.

Because you can easily hack lod to work and get a valid result. We need more security before we add more benches.

• Like 2

As the new 3DMarks are separated in workloads, where each test and sometimes subtest got their own executable, it's necessary to check the LOD Bias setting via NVAPI before (or during) each run inside the workload executable. You can't change it in between as far as I'm aware. As soon as the executable is loaded, the NVIDIA driver settings seem to be locked it.

There might be some way with releasing and reinitializing the necessary Direct3D interfaces, but that would be a lot of work. And as soon as you can do something like that, it's a lot easier to just piggyback the settings of the workload, a plain JSON passed to the workload executable as a "locked" file. That was the only way I've found to fuck with LOD in the new 3DMarks.

To say something ontopic as well: It has to be considered, that points in Port Royale are currently rather expensive. I heard that @Splave sold a testicle to compete with the YouTubers. They now call him the Lance Armstrong of overclocking, cause he's still going strong with one nut. Might be an urban legend though.

Edited by _mat_
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

Eh, need to include legacy gpu bench for old gpus. Although wether or not they should have globals is another discussion 

A lot of the older benchmarks are just cpu benchmarks at this point. I think that it might be interesting to give some newer benchmarks globals but keep hardware points for the older benchmark. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yeah would be nice. I think that its just ridiculuos that the ONLY raytracing benchmark ( which is also a really good gpu performance only benchmark) is not part of hwbot even more than one year after release. 

Its just as @Rauf says the benchmark database is outdatet. And since AMD is throwing Cpus with more and more cores at us there are no Benchmarks which either can keep up with the performance or arent even able to measure it correctly. 

But just complaining is easy... first of all we need more benchmarks which can cope whith more cores. --but thats another story and that thread is focused on adding pr. 

nVidia's real time "ray tracing" tech demo won't last the distance. I reckon at best you'll have 3 generations of nVidia architectures that have their special implementation of "real time" ray tracing. Give it a year or two and then decide if it is worth giving points to. FYI, in case you didn't notice, nVidia used their marvellous and very useful implementation of ray tracing in Turing merely as an excuse to jack the price of GPUs into the stratosphere. heh. ?

Edited by cbjaust

3 hours ago, der8urner said:

Its just as @Rauf says the benchmark database is outdatet. And since AMD is throwing Cpus with more and more cores at us there are no Benchmarks which either can keep up with the performance or arent even able to measure it correctly. 

But just complaining is easy... first of all we need more benchmarks which can cope whith more cores. --but thats another story and that thread is focused on adding pr. 

R20 scales with cores, R15 scales with cores. GB3/4/5 scale with cores. GPUPi scales with cores. X265 scales with cores.

Shall I continue?

On 10/14/2019 at 4:12 AM, der8urner said:

who the hell considers luumi and steponz to be pro overcklockers?

it would be nive to addet less benchmarks to be listet on hwbot in my opinion.
lets just keep 3dmark01 and 06 and call it a day.