HWBOT Community Forums

DO NOT RESUB OLD SCORES FOR SEASON 2020

Leeghoofd

Thanks @delly for exposing this flaw in the HWBot engine and restarting this useful discussion. If you would not have done this then someone else would have trickled out old subs one at a time over a whole year and no one would have noticed.

Too many people are all too happy to shoot the messenger ? To me it is clear that this score dump was done to call attention to the issue rather than to personally gain from it.

Edited by unityofsaints
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

"hmmm, this seems dodgy... delete old scores, re-upload same scores in new season = profit. Scores get pinged. Remove scores, maybe lose a point or two here and there overall. Got plenty of points. Tornado ensues. Hailed as whistleblower = winner."

????‍♂️

• Like 4

hundreds of points loaded in a few minutes, if I wanted to cheat for personal profit (what then would you gain from a useless ranking like the season 20xx?) I would have put one a week or a month, nobody would have noticed, unfortunately

I'm not the winner, everyone has won, new and clearer rules regarding the seasonal probably needed and will be very useful for the future, although I still think it is difficult to manage the control of each individual sub to see if it is used the recent version of cpuz, the specific background, the date etc ...

for this reason I continue to prefer a season with only competitions, less sub to check and seasonal by nature :)

Edited by delly

14 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

cleaned up the thread due to personal verbal abuse.. relax guys... I proposed the DEL button solution to the programmers... hold your horses

If the delete button solution gets implemented, that will be it then? No cpuz version / notepad / date ect ect?

Basically I'm wondering if I need to dump anything I find on my usb before your cutoff date of 1-6-20 or not?

59 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Question yourself: how would you detect if its a backup score or an old repost ?

I tell you mine, obviously no pretense that is taken into consideration: in my opinion we should change the basic concept of the seasonal, this should be seen as a simple personal "curiosity" of the overclocker to see what he did in the current year (an indicative count of the points accumulated in the year in short, as if one did a specific search in one's profile), but not a further ranking with constraints as it is now...

the results one publishes whether they are from the current year or from old backups should simply end up in one's personal career as it should be, less confusion with more unnecessary rankings and less problems for everyone

as said, my 2 cents :)

Edited by delly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

if even it is just one  it is one too many... imagine these are not front page scores, noone would ever notice if he just resubs one per week.

exactly, for this reason it seems unthinkable to start checking every single subs, if one really wants to cheat upload a result a week or more and it is obvious that it would go completely unnoticed

do you really believe that if the target was the cheating you would go to fill a front page of scores?

Edited by delly
  • Thanks 1

Idk, I feel like it would be about the same as if I posted a gfp in a certain bench I know the cheat for because it continues to have pts after tell mods that cheat is undectible. But I would be banned for that, which is also why I probably can never post even a legit gfp in that particular bench from now on. 

BTW not saying that delly should be banned for this, I just think it's an extreme way to expose a problem. 

Edited by yosarianilives

52 minutes ago, cbjaust said:

@yosarianilives more like a massive back pedal followed by damage control. :|

Eh I believe he did it because he was frustrated by it never properly being addressed. Doesn't mean it was the right way to go about it. Similar to how there is one bench I could probably take gfp in "undectibly" and get loads of pts without much effort and mods do nothing about it. Difference is delly didn't just accept nothing was gonna happen. Imho he was too drastic in forcing the hand of mods but I understand why. 

I disagree with your belief. The action taken was definitely not the right way to approach the situation and through the course of this thread changing from ? to ? just beggars belief.

I know nothing of your gfp loophole benchmark.

Edited by cbjaust
  • Like 3

There are proposals being floated. It would be good to not penalise new entries that have been saved but not uploaded provided the score a) Legitimate and b) is an improved score which makes obvious c) has not been uploaded previously.

That said it's pretty funny to see the sandbags being jettisoned over the last couple of days :P. The panic is real! :)

Lol you guys are agreeing with me, like I said it is the wrong way to approach but I don't think he did it for cheating, I still think there are much better ways to approach this. For example he should've made a thread, and since afaik he doesn't have the reputation for bitching that I do it may actually have been listened to.