HWBOT Community Forums

DO NOT RESUB OLD SCORES FOR SEASON 2020

Leeghoofd

• Crew

Happy New Year everyone, may your clocks be high and your RMA rates low. That's the good news HWBot crew brings you in 2020.

The bad news is we see our Italian bencher Delly resubbing old scores to climb up the seasonal ladder of 2020. Sorry but this rule bending will NOT be approved, nor appreciated by the moderators neither the community.

DONT.gif

Only way to counteract is to impose a new rule to the evergrowing list:

Current proposals:

ALL SUBMISSIONS FOR SEASON 2020 WILL HAVE TO HAVE:

• THE YEAR OF 2020 IN THE SCREENSHOT or
  • USAGE OF CPUZ 1.91+  or
  • IMPOSE A BACKGROUND or
  • ADDING NOTEPAD WITH NAME AND DATE or
  • A COMBO OF THE AFOREMENTIONED.

I give everybody a few days for those that still have backup scores to submit these, but from next week (06/01/2020) the new timestamp becomes mandatory to avoid future abuse. If detected by the moderating team a user ban and removal of that score will take place!

Don't blame us for another annoying addition to the existing rules but applaud the act of your fellow bencher!

Leeghoofd

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

@Leeghoofd

so I now have to pay attention to the date shown in the OS? I’m just speaking for myself here, but I feel like its a bit of an overreaction. I have many boards I run without bios battery and this often results in the date in the OS being completely wrong. Some OS’s I even go as far as stripping the clock out. 

Isn’t it possibly to automatically compare subs posted by a person to previous subs posted with the same hardware by the same person? If they are identical show a warning message and if they sub anyways flag the sub for moderator checking. 

Edited by ground1556
  • Like 3

• Crew

The  previous sub is replacing this one, so we can't compare it sir. The time stamp is an idea, we have a few days to find a plausible solution to avoid this silly behavior.  Adding CPU-Z rule (version 1.91 and newer) is another option but backdraw is that older legacy platforms can't even load 1.6+ CPUZ. So another viable solution might be a background, which some might forget,....

Adding a note pad as Stavros suggests is also an option ( but pretty easy to paint into an existing one )

Keep the ideas coming

Edited by Leeghoofd

I mean... its a database, you can search for user + score + main hardware component and if there is an exact match throw a warning to the user and if he ignores it flag the sub for the mods to check against.

Please don’t make subbing to hwbot harder then it already is

• Like 1

• Crew

we don't have time nor staff for that sorry not an option we will have to add something. Anyway the full screen screenshot was already mandatory , so no cropping allowed. The Time or date shoudl be in the taskbar. Onyl thing that is an issue is when you use ABX that you need to reset the date again for a valid screenie

Edited by Leeghoofd

Here's an idea, BAN the offender. It's not like it was one or two entries made in the last days of the previous year. No, it was 10 to 15 re-subs of scores made up to TWO years ago. Some of them are from running in competitions clearly showing the background required at the time. Flagrant disregard for the spirit of the seasonal competition. Terrible sportsmanship.

Edit: another idea, where Benchmate is applicable, make it a requirement and issue a new edition at the start of each year 00:00 UTC. 

Edited by cbjaust
  • Like 2

Just now, cbjaust said:

Here's an idea Ban the offender. It's not like it was one or two entries made in the last days of the previous year. No, it was 10 to 15 re-subs of scores made up to TWO years ago. Some of them are from running in competitions clearly showing the background required at the time. Flagrant disregard for the spirit of the seasonal competition. Terrible sportsmanship. 

I mean... while I get the point of a ban here but just take him out of the season ranking. Leave the offender unbanned, but disable points for him permanently. 

• Crew
5 minutes ago, cbjaust said:

Edit: another idea, where Benchmate is applicable, make it a requirement and issue a new edition at the start of each year 00:00 UTC. 

If only we had full benchmark suite in benchmate :) Matt will hunt us down for this ?

He got the message and removed his subs

Edited by Leeghoofd

3 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

I think requiring extra stuff is stupid, personally I don't give a shit about my seasonal ranking so if I happen to sub outside of a comp I think I shouldn't be penalized for that. Obviously I assume if you use a 2020 comp background you won't need any other verification of year the bench was done

You do realise he submitted old scores that were apparently already in the system, yeah? 

• Crew
29 minutes ago, FireKillerGR said:

Just have a notepad open with the date or if not available; just have a file named that way (date)
Can also make cpuz 1.91 obligatory (10th of Dec).

Just replace on USBs and make checking the version a personal habit.

The newer CPU-Z requirement makes the most sense to me and it's something most people already do.

Sad to see this happen but I guess there will always be people looking to do what they can to gain internet points.

• Like 1

CPU-Z I'm ok with. I have started to do the notepad deal as it gives me a refresher looking back at old SS of what I was doing.

With regards to the subs that were done, fuck that shit. I plan on going hard this year, BUT starting 800 points behind is asinine. 

• Crew
9 minutes ago, Splave said:

Got it. So once I get gold change my date to 2021 just Incase so I'm ready for next year and if I'm still using 1.91 I'm following the rules for this year also. Correct?

Nope as 2021 scores might be mandatory on CPUZ 1.99 troll masta

Edited by Leeghoofd

I know it's tempting to react very strongly, but I hope we can avoid anything that would make it more of a struggle to explain to noobs everything they need to do to prove a score.  It would also be nice if regular scores didn't have all the extra stuff that comps need - backgrounds can be a pain as many people bench with unactivated windows that resets them, system time is also lost when clearing cmos so it'd be nice not to have to worry about that.

Requiring a fairly recent CPU-Z version (with separate date proof an option for tryhards concerned that newer cpu-z is 'too heavy') is reasonable and shouldn't hurt noobs.  I'll be honest, I'd always assumed that for verification I should use reasonably recent CPU-Z anyway.

I'm not sure a new rule is needed though - these are the actions of one idiot, and they were caught immediately.  I'd hate to see seasonal rankings get in the way of multi-year-old backups, scores found on old USB sticks, etc.  Unless someone is clearly trying to manipulate the ranking - in which case clearly they can be caught already - it would be better to just not worry about it IMO.  The seasonal rankings don't give prizes, they're just a friendly competition, it shouldn't have to have bulletproof verification.

Just a suggestion.
We use wallpapers for comps, why not allow teams to create an "Official" wallpaper they would use with the current year as part of it?
In the past some (Myself as an example) had a personalized wallpaper we used - As long as the current year is part of it, that may be acceptable too but the team approach is probrably the better of the two.

Either that or the bot could do something similar, perhaps as others said, use notepad or whatever.

Do remember that with older benchies the newest CPU-Z versions don't work with older hardware at times, an actual wallpaper would at least circumvent this issue in cases the most recent CPU-Z doesn't work with the hardware being benched. I know with OSIBS it has it's own wallpaper but there will be runs done outside of it too along the way.

Whatever is finally decided as a solution is fine by me, I can do whatever.

Whatever this runs out to, i would appreciate a "don't participate in seasonal rankins" button under user settings if this gets pushed through, cause for me date is usually whatever boards default to after BIOS reset, and i certainly don't care for including backgounds/notepads/benchmate/whatever on random HW point farming runs on old HW (CPU-Z doesn't work at all on some stuff, so that's out)... :D

• Like 7