HWBOT Community Forums

How do you not eventually turn into a d-bag in overclocking?

Splave

So seems the community is very cut-throat these days and I have some questions...

How can we grow when everyone is behind the scenes cutting eachother down?

Why is it the better results you post the more you are hated? (IE 8 pack, dancop etc)

If I find a tweak why is it okay for you to ask me for it like I owe it to you?

If I spend weeks tuning and tweaking my system because I have to to survive with little to no support / no binned cards etc handed to me, why would I tell you how to beat me?

I have lots of "friends" that come around when they need something....(we all do)

If you sign a "contract" in overclocking you are gaining now but loosing down the line and ruining things for the future. (not a questions its a statement) You are actually worth way more than they are giving you trust me.

Why do we all hate 8 pack and roman because they work at caseking now who cares, better yourself and get a better job :P

Anyone anything else to add, lets get it all in the open so we can move on!

gangster-roller-skates-o.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that people hate me now :D I didn't know about that.

So far I didn't even use a single piece of hardware from caseking so nothing changed for me.

I think in general jealousy is the main issue. If somebody beats my scores or has better hardware I'm jealous. Maybe it's not the perfect word for it but I know we are all a little bit butthurt if somebody has the better hardware or more hardware (don't deny it! We all are - including myself!) :P

inb4 20 pages

If you sign a "contract" in overclocking you are gaining now but loosing down the line and ruining things for the future. (not a questions its a statement) You are actually worth way more than they are giving you trust me.

This topic has come up a few times over the years. Getting a proper job in OC is the worlds most expensive "interview"

I've never paid (example) £15K for any other job interview in life.

We (collectively) shot ourselves in the head when vendors first started taking an interest in us. We were so damned happy to be noticed that we jumped on the breadcrumbs. As soon as we asked for proper conditions and security, we knew we were skating on thin ice because there were 250 people who would be DELIGHTED to be in our position.

How to not become a douchebag? Difficult one. Stop chasing money and fame in OC. What we do is NOT changing the world, it's not worth screwing anyone over for.

How to take away a lot of the existing douche-baggery? Remove the points. People don't act c**ty over 2-point golds.

Way to prove it? Take some 2-point golds and make them 50-pointers. There'll be backups and sniping and accusations of cheating and 3x e-Power cards and, if it's a GPU still in production, there'll be a limited edition "friends of the company only" version dominating the leaderboard in three weeks or less.

Edited by K404

Thankee :) It all contributed to me having a year off. 2014 was the least stressful year of my adult life :D

Before I keep typing, I know.... life aint fair. I'm 31. I get it. I see it every day.

How is someone supposed to stay motivated towards great scores when "the other guy" has binned 4x as much hardware (deep wallet or deep vendor connection) and is holding back their best scores "just in case" you edge them out?

Of course, the answer is to only do things that are fun.....which is a very personal adjective.

Where's the fun in having a great session end with someone submitting a backup as soon as they see you post the score....and know they got the hardware for free in the first place?

Why bother spending money on benching high-end hardware, knowing the playing field is skewed and there are people who pretend they don't have connections to vendors.

I would LOVE to see some hardware categories reserved for different leagues, to guarantee that there is some "protection" from douche-baggery.

Ummmmm....over the last year, have HWB published more concrete rules and are they enforced?

Irony alert: I know. I whine about the cost of hardware and I whine about the people who are in a position to reduce the financial outlay a bit. *shrug*

Edited by K404

I'd like to add something!

I appreciate all the help I got. Vivi and splave...yes you are!!!! , are responsible for my 32m result.

but!!!!

I never got so much mad pn and no more contact, since the last few weeks!

I know I am a newcomer and I am not the best tweaker...but I learn...and honestly, without the community I would be nothing.

let's keep up that good spirit. I share everything I know...

regarding the position in rankings....if am there, cause my cpu does a great job, sure I know how to treat her!

Furthermore...8pack is top for a reason!

I stated some months ago....rankings are nice...but the by far best overclocker in germany is roman!

Everybody that tried to keep a cpu within 3 degrees...knows, what roman is able to do. My window is around 5 degrees on 8 core and 4 degrees on 4 core.

that's what knowledge is about.

just my opinions!

I'd like to add something!

I appreciate all the help I got. Vivi and splave...yes you are!!!! , are responsible for my 32m result.

but!!!!

I never got so much mad pn and no more contact, since the last few weeks!

I know I am a newcomer and I am not the best tweaker...but I learn...and honestly, without the community I would be nothing.

let's keep up that good spirit. I share everything I know...

regarding the position in rankings....if am there, cause my cpu does a great job, sure I know how to treat her!

Furthermore...8pack is top for a reason!

I stated some months ago....rankings are nice...but the by far best overclocker in germany is roman!

Everybody that tried to keep a cpu within 3 degrees...knows, what roman is able to do. My window is around 5 degrees on 8 core and 4 degrees on 4 core.

that's what knowledge is about.

just my opinions!

I think you might need to work on your wording because you come off extremely douchey and arrogant. This could just be a cultural/language thing but I am sure this is why you have been getting so many pm's/hate/no contact. You should take notes from Roman, that dude knows how to do it right. I will be a honest, I am not a fan and I'm sure you don't care but that's just how I feel :)

Also it's quite weird to post a result on your OC account and then share it on your personal account, it's borderline psychotic speaking in the third person like this. I get promoting yourself but why not just post it on your OC account?

And finally you beg everyone for tweaks because you can't figure them out yourself and then post no thanks or shout outs minus your last few subs, poor form mate.

just my 2c since this is the dirty laundry thread.

Now I am serious!

Thank you for your directness!

But honestly spoken, I always thank the people who shared some things with me...look at my 32m, my heaven, my first good xtu!

Then I found other things in xtu...and I shared it to people who asked.

I understand your concerns very well!

And if you let me, I will show you another Daniel. If not...ok.

But I CARE your opinion!

You and many many others are by far more experienced than me!

And if I can...I will share future tweaks!

I mean...ask roman...he knows everything I know...almost.

Regarding my shizo behaviour...that's why many follower are not the follower of dancop.

Let's make one deal...just if you want...if not, I'll change it anyway!

In future, I'll only post results on dancop! Promised!

Regarding figuring tweaks out...I find a lot in 3d01 and xtu.

Furthermore I played 32m 3 months on air.

All the new stuff, beginning from vantage I did myself.

Sure I got hints, but not for all the benchmarks!

Ever tried to be an active member of the community (i.e. forums) and not make posts only when money is involved? :)

EDIT: This, and what Roman said.

I'm sure much hate will be coming your way after soooo many subs :P

:nana:

I'm betting 3-5 will be reported :P

anyone in? :D

Edited by Schmuckley

• Crew

I think most expect once they have a few whopping scores that free hardware flies in straight in via the window... Not... Much depends on the region you live in and your networking capabilities.

I've been too long in this "sport" to even take it seriously... I just want to become The nr1 scatter bancha... fast benching and inefficient scores is my middle name... I make people like MSI MAXOC cry :P

I just hate Roman coz he is German and doesn't drink their highly acclaimed beer... Even wonder why Angela Merkel hasn't already deported him to a neighbooring country... Anyway a very talented OCer and fun guy to hang out with.. too bad he always gets all the chicks...

The French Suisse tart aka Christian Ney well he likes to annoy old OCers like me by beating my scores with a bugged Windows version... See if I care punk :P Best admin HWbot will ever get! But don't tell him that :)

Massman well what can i say , he's the brain and the looks of the current OC scene... He taught me the OC, but I 've never listened quite good enough apparently :P

Splave who is this guy anyway ? he looks like an American footbal player ready to rip your head off. Eating all day Spare ribs and corn... but an amazing OCer and super cool guy when he Drives Nick's car :)

And so we can continue for hours...

All the people I've met till now are great sports... fun to hang out with... and besides a few, many share their "secrets/tricks". I think a lot depends on your own way of approaching things/people... just them darn Aussies are hard to persuade :P

To sum it up: Guys if you aren't able to enjoy it anymore, no matter the hardware you bench go find another hobby. OCing is expensive and brings you eternal fame on the internet. If you want to make money out of it you either prostitute yourself, thus sell your soul to a specific brand or company. Or you buy that super cherry CPU and try to compete in as much competitions as possible...

Don't forget it is hard to get to the top, but it is even harder to stay there!

Edited by Leeghoofd

Just as Albrecht said,

..if you aren't able to enjoy it anymore, no matter the hardware you bench go find another hobby

Overclocking is a hobby, and competition are supposed to make things more enjoyable in this hobby of ours. And since the competitiveness of overclocking grows by the day, somebody will eventually find a way to get ahead of others, and this is NOT a crime.

- Somebody found a legit tweak and won't share it? Let them be, it's their RIGHT to do so after spending some many hours searching for that particular tweak. Of course, If you find something that you wanted to share, it's always welcome :)

- Somebody got a support/sponsor/sample/hardware-for-friends-only? Let them be. Maybe that somebody tried hard to get notified by their current sponsors, and spends most of their time testing/debugging stuff, and if that is rewarded, it is well-deserved, no? ;)

- Somebody binned a lot hardwares? Let them be. Binning requires an effort too, whether it's the money spend on binning, or searching for 'sponsors' to get them ahead of this sillicon lottery.

After all, isn't overclocking all about doing whatever we can to make a piece of PC component go faster than it supposed to do? Why would we let anyone's action stopped us from having fun with our hobby? If by some reason, competing make this hobby less enjoyable, then don't compete, just overclock for whatever reasons that make you happy and enjoy it :)

• Crew

Well said, so it is Massman out and Alva for President :P (just joking CN)

On a note, those that close deals for sponsorship, deals with manufacturers also have to perform. Preferably putting down either WRs or even win competitions. Just qualifying for a live event is not good enough. A Top 3 is a minimum requirement and in fact winning is what the PR guys really want from you. Especially the latter puts a lot of pressure on the shoulders of the concerned OCer... as it remains a technical sport, anything can go wrong or you can be just unlucky with the given hardware... Nevertheless the homefront expects big things from you, which sometimes is impossible to deliver...

Hence why it is understandable that some stuff is not shared at all to maintain that competitive edge on the others... just my 2 cents...

It is a hobby after all, not cheap but it can open doors to getting freebies. Remember that in return a higher effort is expected in return! Nothing in this hobby is for free! Them toppers are at this 24/7, not like me a few hours a week. Meaning it not only requires full attention by the OCer himself but also much understanding from his surroundings (wife , family) as this is a very time consuming hobby.

Edited by Leeghoofd

The smartest post of the thread goes to Alva.I could say a thing or two about competing with guys that have 10 times my income but would not make a difference whatsoever.

Things like secret tweaks need to be clarrified and taken care of by stuff. Tweaks don't need to be shown in public sincer it is not fair for someone when working their ass for weeks maybe to find some tweak and then other person just hits apply in 5 minutes and gets identical or even better score.

Hwbot stuff should deal in private with secret tweaks and make sure the secret stays in 4 walls.

Overclocking is no professional sport and it will be very hard to make it.So we could just enjoy the times while there is still possibility...

Lol Allen, I thought I was the biggest douch a bag in OC community, not for my results just for my personality;)

The politics with OC now days sucks big hairy balls.

The community is whiny little bitch syndrome.

I'll only participate in major comps.

The best part of OC is live events and meeting everyone face to face and partying !!!